Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Eagle F1's AS versus Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

Hi all, its time for new shoes on the 330xi. I live in Colorado and need a good all season tire that will perform well in dry conditions and moderate snow. I was gung ho on the Eagle F1's until I read a couple of reviews (32 to be exact, on 1010tiures.com, among others) that scared me--excessive road noise, ugly wear patterns, etc. These reviews come from a myriad of different vehicles, so it sometimes hard to root through everyones opinions.

Does anyone here have any insight on the Eagle F1 versus the Michy PS AS3's? I'm even considering the Nitto Motivo's. I'm worried I'll choose wrong and have to live with this rubber for a long time, so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Bruizzer
Ads by Google
Old 10-11-2013, 03:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
dont know about the specific Michelin tire, but I have always run michelin's and had great service out of them When I replace my tires Michelin will be going on my 335
Old 10-11-2013, 04:23 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix

I am very satisfied with Continental DWS.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
My son has Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on order.

Review.

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Revie...port-A-S-3.htm
Old 10-11-2013, 09:10 AM

delete double post

Last edited by Norm37; 10-11-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Excellent review. The fact is that we do not yet know how the PS A/S3 will be in the snow. Indications are that it will be a winner overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
Review. In case you didn't read this one.

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Revie...port-A-S-3.htm
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-11-2013, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I am very satisfied with Continental DWS.

+1

Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive Coupe
+2
Old 10-11-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Excellent review. The fact is that we do not yet know how the PS A/S3 will be in the snow. Indications are that it will be a winner overall.
True! But I am mostly interested in wet weather traction. We get a lot of rain in the Pacific North West.

So am willing to give up a little traction in snow and on ice. Last year we did not even get any snow.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
True! But I am mostly interested in wet weather traction. We get a lot of rain in the Pacific North West.

So am willing to give up a little traction in snow and on ice. Last year we did not even get any snow.
I live in Portland, Oregon. I have Continental Extreme DWS on my Mercedes C320 (235/35/R19 fronts and 265/30/R19 rears) and they have far exceeded my expectations in the rain. Great grip and no hydro planing. I have Pirelli P-Zero Neros on my BMW (235/35/R19) right now - which have also worked great in the rain - but will likely switch to Conti's when they are done. America's Tire Company has deals all the time on them. Also, when they ask you if you want the full warranty, tell them you'll pay for two tires but they can throw in the other two. They've always agreed to that.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input on this. I've heard good things about the Contis as you mentioned, but my mechanic mentioned the Conti Extreme Contacts play hell with the AWD System. ??? Maybe he's being a little extreme? Anyone heard of this issue with ANY particular tire?

A primary mission for this xi is back and forth between Denver and Breckenridge. It can often be challenging weather, so the snow/rain performance is a particular consideration. Too bad of weather and its into the truck!

I'm going to read up on your rec's and other info, and advise when she's a done deal.

And, it always begs the question, dual sets?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizzer View Post
Hi all, its time for new shoes on the 330xi. I live in Colorado and need a good all season tire that will perform well in dry conditions and moderate snow. I was gung ho on the Eagle F1's until I read a couple of reviews (32 to be exact, on 1010tiures.com, among others) that scared me--excessive road noise, ugly wear patterns, etc. These reviews come from a myriad of different vehicles, so it sometimes hard to root through everyones opinions.

Does anyone here have any insight on the Eagle F1 versus the Michy PS AS3's? I'm even considering the Nitto Motivo's. I'm worried I'll choose wrong and have to live with this rubber for a long time, so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Bruizzer
Taking a quick peek at the "Eagle F1" it appears to be a "unidirectional" tire. Unidirectional tires are 'passe' these days...for several reasons, one being that they tend to develop significant "tread pattern noise' as they wear. I would avoid them at all costs.

The tire industry has definitely moved towards 'assymetric' tread designs in the past decade...away from 'unidirectional' tread designs.

I don't know how much snow your part of CO gets, but I'd certainly be looking for the best "snow" rating for new tires according to TIRE RACK's rating system. Not all "A/S tires" rate very well.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Taking a quick peek at the "Eagle F1" it appears to be a "unidirectional" tire. Unidirectional tires are 'passe' these days...for several reasons, one being that they tend to develop significant "tread pattern noise' as they wear. I would avoid them at all costs.

The tire industry has definitely moved towards 'assymetric' tread designs in the past decade...away from 'unidirectional' tread designs.

I don't know how much snow your part of CO gets, but I'd certainly be looking for the best "snow" rating for new tires according to TIRE RACK's rating system. Not all "A/S tires" rate very well.

Unidirectional and Aysmmetric are separate technologies. Directional refers to the tread needing to face one way to work correctly, asymmetric refers to the tread being different on the left side of the tire, compared to the right. Benefits include increased cornering capabilities in certain situations. You can have neither, one, or both in a tire.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-11-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X coupe
I dont know much about F1's but I do know the pilot A/s 3's have won top recommendations on tire rack and consumer reports in their recent tests. Seems to be a real winner.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i coupe
I've owned the first-gen pilot a/s and loved them, as did my father. I feel they had the best dry weather grip of any all season I've owned. Michelin has consistently put out good tires over the years while goodyear has released some stinkers. If you want to stay safe I'd go with Michelin.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I have always had great experiences with Michelins and the runflats are far better than other brands I have experienced. I have Michelin PSS's on right now and they are great, so good I almost forget they are runflats most days!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I have always had great experiences with Michelins and the runflats are far better than other brands I have experienced. I have Michelin PSS's on right now and they are great, so good I almost forget they are runflats most days!
PSS runflats? Never heard of 'em so I had to look them up -- just released only for the new Corvette. Do you have PS2 runflats?
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Well, she's a done deal--Based on all input, reviews, and local recommendations, I got 'er shod with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7's. They felt really nice on the ride home--big upgrade from the well worn RFT's I had. The verdict will be out on winter performance for a bit, but they feel like a good choice thus far.

thx to all for input on this. I'll update after some weather-intense trips over the continental divide here in CO!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Well, she's a done deal--Based on all input, reviews, and local recommendations, I got 'er shod with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7's.!
Great! Now remember it takes 200 to 300 miles to break in new tires.

Last edited by Norm37; 10-14-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i coupe
Quote:
Well, she's a done deal--Based on all input, reviews, and local recommendations, I got 'er shod with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7's. They felt really nice on the ride home--big upgrade from the well worn RFT's I had. The verdict will be out on winter performance for a bit, but they feel like a good choice thus far.

thx to all for input on this. I'll update after some weather-intense trips over the continental divide here in CO!
They'll do well in the moderate winter weather you spoke of in your first post. They will not impress you in weather intense trips over the Continential Divide though
Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I had some of the F1's once, imho not a very good tire. I would not buy them again. I have Michelin Pilot and they are great tires. So much better than the Eagles it is a joke. N4S