Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Sparkplugs?

I've had my car for about 5k miles now. Love it. I'm just wondering when should sparkplugs be switched out? I feel like they haven't been changed in awhile and id like to be ahead of the game. And is it a easy DIY ? Thanks


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,997
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Easy job, you just need a good torque wrench. I use one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-4-Inch-A...I3J15ZQ1OYDTR5


No anti-seize and no dielectric grease should be used.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Sparkplugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Easy job, you just need a good torque wrench. I use one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-4-Inch-A...I3J15ZQ1OYDTR5


No anti-seize and no dielectric grease should be used.
I should do coils as well right?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:33 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,997
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I should do coils as well right?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I wouldn't unless you have misfires or codes alluding to misfires. They are not cheap.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Sparkplugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I wouldn't unless you have misfires or codes alluding to misfires. They are not cheap.
I was thinking this could be a reason for my lose of power at times


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,997
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I was thinking this could be a reason for my lose of power at times


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Not likely; they either work or they don't work and there are almost always codes present when there is a misfire.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Sparkplugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Not likely; they either work or they don't work and there are almost always codes present when there is a misfire.
I was throwing around misfiring a little too much. I didn't exactly know what it meant. My car doesn't have a misfire havs


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,997
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I was throwing around misfiring a little too much. I didn't exactly know what it meant. My car doesn't have a misfire havs


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Plugs for now, check air filter. Maybe look into this vanos solenoid cleaning thing that was brought up here several times, sounded like an easy DIY as well.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-11-2013, 01:50 PM
ctuna ctuna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,402
Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
How many miles on the car?

How many miles on the car?
They plugs are suppose to be good for 100k in 325 or at least 90k
The Mike Miller old school schedule says 60k not because the plugs will
necessarily be bad but to get them out before they have a chance to seize in
place and to inspect the plug area for signs of oil leakage.
My Indy insists 80 to 90 k will be about right and I am wasting my money t
to change them earlier.

If you are really interested in doing a lot of preemptive maintenance Google Mike Miller BMW for the
old school maintenance schedule. If you car is running OK I would look into changing out the lifetime
fluids first.

Easy source of DIY's
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Last edited by ctuna; 10-11-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,742
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Averdi, I encourage you or anyone to do them, I just did them for the first time, it was actually fun. Having done some fluids too recently, a couple of those aren't so fun, dirty, messy, smelly, more dangerous with a 3600 lbs car above me.

For my car, I used the video made by Cobb, it is a very well done video.

Plugs for my N54 were only $69 for the set of six from Burger. I used their thin walled spark plug tool. It will get scratched, it is normal.

You will very likely find that cylinders 5 and 6 will be the most fouled. So you can advance your BMW nerdiness, all straight sixes use the firing order of 1 5 3 6 2 4.

I wish I had some sort of magnetic type of 5mm hex bit, because the rear right bolt that holds down the plastic engine cowl, I was a bit afraid of dropping it. (Anyone know where I can find one?)

I learned after the job was already done, that I could have removed the right black strut tower brace for easier access to I think it was cylinder 5. Instead I futzed around, by using only the extension (no wrench) to get the plug in/out, then attached the wrench and went at it. I got the job done, but a wee bit tricky.

Good luck!

Oh, I'm sure it's all placebo, but I swear my car runs happier after the plug change.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Sparkplugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Averdi, I encourage you or anyone to do them, I just did them for the first time, it was actually fun. Having done some fluids too recently, a couple of those aren't so fun, dirty, messy, smelly, more dangerous with a 3600 lbs car above me.

For my car, I used the video made by Cobb, it is a very well done video.

Plugs for my N54 were only $69 for the set of six from Burger. I used their thin walled spark plug tool. It will get scratched, it is normal.

You will very likely find that cylinders 5 and 6 will be the most fouled. So you can advance your BMW nerdiness, all straight sixes use the firing order of 1 5 3 6 2 4.

I wish I had some sort of magnetic type of 5mm hex bit, because the rear right bolt that holds down the plastic engine cowl, I was a bit afraid of dropping it. (Anyone know where I can find one?)

I learned after the job was already done, that I could have removed the right black strut tower brace for easier access to I think it was cylinder 5. Instead I futzed around, by using only the extension (no wrench) to get the plug in/out, then attached the wrench and went at it. I got the job done, but a wee bit tricky.

Good luck!

Oh, I'm sure it's all placebo, but I swear my car runs happier after the plug change.
Do you have a link of where to order the plugs? And thanks for advice I'm going to have to try it soon


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-12-2013, 01:34 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,997
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
Do you have a link of where to order the plugs? And thanks for advice I'm going to have to try it soon


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Go to realoem.com or penskeparts.com, plug in your model, search the engine components for the part number. google: bmw + "< part number here >"

You'll find hits from sparkplugs.com to Amazon.com.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 PM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,273
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
You can get a small tool that will magnetize & de-magnetize your bits & other tools. They are about $3 to $5. On plugs in a 335 about 50K miles or if modified for more boost 25K miles.
__________________
Kevin

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 10-12-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,742
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
You can get a small tool that will magnetize & de-magnetize your bits & other tools. They are about $3 to $5. On plugs in a 335 about 50K miles or if modified for more boost 25K miles.
Thanks bear, I had no idea. I'm seeing $5 and up, just added a $6.50 Wiha to my Amazon cart. Sweet!

BMW recommends 45k interval for spark plug change. No tune here, but I'll be doing them every 30K. After I finally hit 90K miles many years from now, I will only have "overspent" by $69 or so.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,273
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
If you do your own you will need the very thin wall magnetic deep plug socket.

http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_...t_adapter.html
__________________
Kevin

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is online now
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,555
Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
I learned after the job was already done, that I could have removed the right black strut tower brace for easier access to I think it was cylinder 5. Instead I futzed around, by using only the extension (no wrench) to get the plug in/out, then attached the wrench and went at it. I got the job done, but a wee bit tricky.
Be glad you left it alone, if you had not planned for it in advance. The bolt that attaches the tension strut to the cowl is a torque-to-yield piece that must be replaced if removed. It is also necessary to take care not to pull the grommet, through which the strut passes, out of the cowl when removing the strut, as it may not be possible to reinstall/reseal it properly.
__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff

   N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 10-14-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,742
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Be glad you left it alone, if you had not planned for it in advance. The bolt that attaches the tension strut to the cowl is a torque-to-yield piece that must be replaced if removed. It is also necessary to take care not to pull the grommet, through which the strut passes, out of the cowl when removing the strut, as it may not be possible to reinstall/reseal it properly.
Oh! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms