Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 5251
Great work and thank you for you sharing.
On a side note, and the wiz in here can comment on it, I was told, long a go, that redoing the valve on an older car may put too much pressure on the older connecting rod causing some major problem.
At that time I did not want to believe it, so when my son's Chevrolet Cavalier threw a bent valve stem I re-did the whole head. ( By the way that nice finish on the head is a " Glass Bead blast)
After the work the car ran great. No shaking and the cylinder pressure went up to 185-190 from 160-165.
It was only about 1 month later that I had to eat my crow, when the car blew a connecting rod. Luckily the block was not penetrated but it messed up the crankshaft. After a complete rebuilt the car ran like new. Too bad , while parked in a HOME DEPOT parking lot someone ram it so hard to cause the insurance company to total the car and this only after 2 weeks after the rebuilt.
I do not know if this is something typical of American cars, or if only happens on car with a lot of mileage I'm not sure but would be nice to gather the experience of other in this case ..
Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 525I SPORT
Loosing my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by microswitch View Post
Great work and thank you for you sharing.
On a side note, and the wiz in here can comment on it, I was told, long a go, that redoing the valve on an older car may put too much pressure on the older connecting rod causing some major problem.
At that time I did not want to believe it, so when my son's Chevrolet Cavalier threw a bent valve stem I re-did the whole head. ( By the way that nice finish on the head is a " Glass Bead blast)
After the work the car ran great. No shaking and the cylinder pressure went up to 185-190 from 160-165.
It was only about 1 month later that I had to eat my crow, when the car blew a connecting rod. Luckily the block was not penetrated but it messed up the crankshaft. After a complete rebuilt the car ran like new. Too bad , while parked in a HOME DEPOT parking lot someone ram it so hard to cause the insurance company to total the car and this only after 2 weeks after the rebuilt.
I do not know if this is something typical of American cars, or if only happens on car with a lot of mileage I'm not sure but would be nice to gather the experience of other in this case ..
I hope that doesn't happen, thanks for your input. I will just have to keep my fingers cross.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app