Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-12-2013, 07:18 PM
European Car Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe
Steering Wheel shaking/vibration during hard cornering?

Hey guys. I just noticed today when cornering hard that the steering wheel of my 2008 328xi coupe exhibits a vibration/shaking in it. Its when I'm turning hard and accelerating hard into the corner, or just turning into the corner sharply. Its not a lot of vibration/shaking, but its noticeable in the steering wheel. Is this normal? I just want to know if it is normal before I become too worried.
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Coupe Auto
Shaking would not be normal. Could be a tire or suspension issue, and being all wheel drive, could be a driveline issue as well. Hard to say.

Rob
Old 10-12-2013, 08:11 PM
European Car Enthusiast

I got the suspension all fixed up a couple weeks ago, so I don't think it could be that. Might be the tires or driveline. Idk...I'll have to drive it again tomorrow and see if it does that when cornering hard. It might have just been more of a road feeling since the roads here aren't great, but I *think* it was shaking. Going to have to definitely check it out again tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Don't drive another mile without first checking to ensure that all your lugnuts are present and tightened to spec. I believe 88 ft. lbs. is correct for your car.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 AM
European Car Enthusiast

Thanks! I don't have the tools to do that, so I'm not sure how I would figure that out.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
Torque wrench is $50-$100.

Or you could just first make sure none are loose with a 1/2" drive ratchet or equivalent
Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 AM
European Car Enthusiast

Ah okay thanks.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverdriveX View Post
Hey guys. I just noticed today when cornering hard that the steering wheel of my 2008 328xi coupe exhibits a vibration/shaking in it. Its when I'm turning hard and accelerating hard into the corner, or just turning into the corner sharply. Its not a lot of vibration/shaking, but its noticeable in the steering wheel. Is this normal? I just want to know if it is normal before I become too worried.

Well let's see.....

Model year 2008 - ~5 years. Has it been normal? NO? Ok we got that outatheway.

Possibilities include tire, wheel, and suspension issues. If you're not familiar with DIY for that, time to take it in. DSX's warning is good advice - if loose lug nuts, very unusual, can be big trouble just turning the first corner from your driveway....think: Collision. Do as he says!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-13-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
I got the suspension all fixed up a couple weeks ago, so I don't think it could be that. Might be the tires or driveline. Idk...I'll have to drive it again tomorrow and see if it does that when cornering hard. It might have just been more of a road feeling since the roads here aren't great, but I *think* it was shaking. Going to have to definitely check it out again tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well let's see.....

Model year 2008 - ~5 years. Has it been normal? NO? Ok we got that outatheway.

Possibilities include tire, wheel, and suspension issues. If you're not familiar with DIY for that, time to take it in. DSX's warning is good advice - if loose lug nuts, very unusual, can be big trouble just turning the first corner from your driveway....think: Collision. Do as he says!
Cal, it's unusual, agreed. What concerns me is his comment that he recently had suspension work done. There's always the possibility that the lugs were not torqued/tightened. It happens.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Let's have a second look here.

What's recently changed that could affect cornering feel?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Cal, it's unusual, agreed. What concerns me is his comment that he recently had suspension work done. There's always the possibility that the lugs were not torqued/tightened. It happens.

Have to wonder what suspension work by who.....

OP, I am totally, unforgivably remiss!

Name:  Jack O Lantern 02.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  3.7 KB

Every time suspension work's done, alignment's needed. Incorrect toe, for instance, will cause a shudder in certain conditions. Many possibilities here, all due to poor alignment.

Must be this relaxed, sleepy Sunday morn. Or, maybe All Hallow's Eve encroaches on my Wah. Whatever. I am remiss.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:51 AM
European Car Enthusiast

I checked the Lugnuts and they are all there. Haven't checked if they are tightened down all the way. I got the suspension work done from BMW of Reading (BMW dealership) and the work was strut bushings replacement that were going out. They also changed both rear tires and rebalanced the tires. Now I know it wasn't a good idea, but I went out to drive it again, and it wasn't much of a shake, but more of a tire slipping kind of feeling...like traction loss. There was no screeching from the tires, so I guess I wasn't turning it too hard. Maybe thats what I perceived was a shaking steering wheel? I must have perceived it wrong since it was at night and I was tired yesterday.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
It's possible that traction control/dynamic stability control could be kicking in and the OP is feeling the braking action. Did you notice a flashing yellow icon on the dash?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:59 AM
European Car Enthusiast

I didn't notice anything on the dashboard, but I wasn't exactly paying attention to the dashboard when turning.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I checked the Lugnuts and they are all there. Haven't checked if they are tightened down all the way. I got the suspension work done from BMW of Reading (BMW dealership) and the work was strut bushings replacement that were going out. They also changed both rear tires and rebalanced the tires. Now I know it wasn't a good idea, but I went out to drive it again, and it wasn't much of a shake, but more of a tire slipping kind of feeling...like traction loss. There was no screeching from the tires, so I guess I wasn't turning it too hard. Maybe thats what I perceived was a shaking steering wheel? I must have perceived it wrong since it was at night and I was tired yesterday.

Don't see nothin' about no alignment. Do you have a Kinematic Alignment readout? Absolutely required after work you had done.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Lug nut torque is critical. Uneven or wrong torque for instance can create the feel of warped rotors.

BMW dealers are generally religious about correct torque, or should be. If you do any work yourself, you need one - here's what I use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbs Up 06.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	401904

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-13-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:28 AM
European Car Enthusiast

No I do not have one of those unfortunately.

The torque wrench link seems to be broken, BTW. I also thought that BMW dealers would be religious about that too, but I'm not so sure...

Last edited by electricrc68; 10-13-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:

The torque wrench link seems to be broken, BTW. I also though that BMW dealers would be religious about that too, but I'm not so sure...

You're quick! Give it another click....
Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 AM
European Car Enthusiast

Its working now! That torque wrench is quite expensive, but its something that one must have judging from the replies in this thread.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Its working now! That torque wrench is quite expensive, but its something that one must have judging from the replies in this thread.

It is - I use it for many tasks. For lug nuts only, 3/8" unit, doesn't have to be electronic and no angle past torque needed, quite a bit less.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:30 PM
European Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
It is - I use it for many tasks. For lug nuts only, 3/8" unit, doesn't have to be electronic and no angle past torque needed, quite a bit less.
Oh okay I see. Thanks! I'll have to search around and see what I can find.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:

The torque wrench link seems to be broken, BTW. I also thought that BMW dealers would be religious about that too, but I'm not so sure...
They're religious about it until a dealer tech gets distracted and forgets to tighten the lug bolts. Every year in the U.S. tires mysteriously get dislodged from cars and heavy trucks. An essential part of my "kit" is a torque wrench.

This may or may not be your issue, but DSX is correct in recommending that you have this checked right away.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 AM
European Car Enthusiast

Thanks! I'll do that then.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
It's possible that traction control/dynamic stability control could be kicking in and the OP is feeling the braking action. Did you notice a flashing yellow icon on the dash?
Oh man, good point! A bad wheel speed sensor can trigger* the ABS during low speed turns. And the 'feel' would fit what the OP describes as symptoms. The OP will have to double check for a dash light.

*Huge problem on rust belt GM's with cast iron tone rings which crack due to rust. The computer then picks up the miniscule gap as a rotation time increase, therefore a skidding wheel.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 PM
European Car Enthusiast

Okay guys so I'm going to be getting it checked soon since I have to take it in anyway for a rear tire with a small tear in the sidewall (came like that when I got it changed...don't know how that happened). But after reading the above post and floydarogers post, should I try it again with DSC/DTC deactivated and see how it feels then? I'm not sure I would want to turn it off when not on a race track though. I mean the shakes aren't really bad...I don't even know if they even are shakes (better safe than sorry though)!

Last edited by electricrc68; 10-14-2013 at 08:10 PM.