Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: vw passat
Any improvement in F15 3rd row?

E70 is just a bench
It's not even comparable with Q7's
Still debating whether I should wait for new X5 or just go with GL.
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Ferrari 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by keytalker View Post
E70 is just a bench
It's not even comparable with Q7's
Still debating whether I should wait for new X5 or just go with GL.
+1

looked 2014 GL over the weekend. 3rd row seat is for adults. With power easy entry option, 2nd row is folded down with touch of button.

I didn't like GL cockpit though. looks cheap for 80K SUV.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
We had the 2007 X5 w/o third row, and loved it, but needed more space with the arrival of kids. The X5 was a great vehicle in its own way, but the GL is the better choice if you really need a third row. We bought a GL450. The driving experience does not compare, but the GL is superb for what it is - quiet, luxurious, powerful, with three rows of usable seating. I thought the pricing was fair when compared against loaded Yukons, Escalades, etc.
2010 335d (retired)
2013 MB GL 450 (wife's car)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Simple Answer: HELLL NO

Complex Answer:
If your hauling kids under 5" feet tall, its comfortable. the video of the 3rd row for the current generation actual states who can sit back there height wise comfortably. The X5, as indicated by the "5" after the X, is designed to suit 5 people. Thats it. The extra 2 seats is just mainly for those who need backup seats when need be for when the X5 dawns as a upscale mommy CUV. The Q7 is longer but that doesnt mean its a better haul back there LOL.

As others have said GL is the best your gonna get for anything German and can haul 7 passengers currently (before it was the Mercedes Minivan ala R-Class). But even the GL is not sized well, compared to say anything else from other companies such as the Big 3 Cadiliac, Lexus, or Infiniti. Their offerings are MUCHHHHHHH BETTER THAN a GL Class. IF you need space and luxury aka living room on 4 wheels nothing beats a Cadillac Escalade (ESV possibly), Lexus LX570, or Infiniti QX80.

Optional Commentary:
German Luxury CUVs are all about refined driving characteristics, luxury amenities, and tech. And for that they are wonderful. However when you need to seat 7 comfortably A CUV aint gonna cut it. There-in Comes the Luxury SUV ala American or Japanese Luxury. Pick one and live with it lol Possibly buy an X3 or Macan lol

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
My wife grew tired of driving her Escalade ESV as its so big and a pain to park. But with 3 kids, the X5 is too small. So bought a MB GL350 a few months ago. The size works perfectly for us, and fuel econ is great with the diesel. But the drive is def not sporty, and the Command infotainment system is absolutely horrible.

I REALLY hope BMW comes out with an X7 soon, as we'd switch in a heartbeat.

Do you hear me BMW? Give us the X7!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
no improvement from what I saw. It folds the same to get in and everything.

-> more pics at Flickr <-
Old 11-06-2013, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
The Merc GL is a class size larger than the X5 and weighs a lot more. About 700 pounds.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 PM

The video on BMWUSA for E70 says it all. Keeping that in mind, and how the dimension have no changed that much the F15 is the same. Another interesting thing is the seat cushion for the 3rd row. WTF who would want to sit there.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Doesn't look like it, based on overall dimensions. A few extra inches of rear overhang but not certain that it helped the rear quarters.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5

Last edited by Rickm5X3; 11-07-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
We went to see one 2 days ago. The 3rd seat is almost identical as the E70. The second row does move a little differently and may make it slightly easier for some (says the CA), With the second row fully forward, my wife 5'6" could sit, but not comfortably. The 3rd row was a motivator for her, but now, if we get one, she will forego it in lieu of the extra storage we would get with out it.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
I didn't notice any difference in the E70 and the F15. The third row in the X5 is strictly for children and for that purpose it works wonders. Granted the oldest child I had in there was a 10yr old. I Have sat back there but I took up both seats and was not comfortable yet for the situation, worked just fine. If you looking to haul 6 adults to dinner, NOT an option. Hauling 5 kids perfect.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM

X5
Let's break this one down:

X=crossover
5=maximum passengers who can sit comfortably

I think if you need a third row ur gonna have to wait for the x7

Why does this matter?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
I like your math ... if I ever get divorced I'll get an X1 .. sits 1 comfortably (and quietly) ... :-)
Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM

LOL that made my day. Thanks Doc.

In all seriousness tho, the x1 is a Small car.

Why does this matter?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 / '13 Cayenne D
Re: Any improvement in F15 3rd row?

Or you can wait a few months and get an i8 where I guess you can seat 8 and at the same time save some fuel

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by DR1er; 11-15-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Crappy 3rd row is one reason why we ditched our X5. Mercedes GL was not impressive at all.

My wife is on her second Infiniti QX56 and it's by far the nicest large SUV on the market. We love it.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM
UDMx2

Mein Auto: E93 335/F15 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
X5
Let's break this one down:

X=crossover
5=maximum passengers who can sit comfortably

I think if you need a third row ur gonna have to wait for the x7
Hopefully you're not serious in thinking the number designation really indicates the passenger count?

I would love to see you seat 6 passengers comfortably in an X6...
2002 E46 330cic Topaz/Grey/Brown (retired)
Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 PM

^totally doable. All you really need is really skinny supermodels. Heck just pile the 6th passenger in the trunk.

If you can do this in a mini

Im pretty sure you can do this in an X6

HEHE

Why does this matter?

Last edited by NoI4plz; 11-13-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB View Post
Crappy 3rd row is one reason why we ditched our X5. Mercedes GL was not impressive at all.

My wife is on her second Infiniti QX56 and it's by far the nicest large SUV on the market. We love it.
The Qx56 or rather Qx80 for `14. Thats an SUV right there Thing is a living room on wheels. The seats are ridiculously good, the space is endless and the 4wd is capable. Plus its lightyears ahead of BMW in the autonomous department. LDP, LDW, BSW, BSP, ACC, etc.

Points of knock for me personally:
The wood feels chintzy, too much leather on some occasions, the headunit, instrument panel and center console needs a 21st refresher. Plus the power anything is very slow to operate.

Im guessing the successor to the current Qx80 will make that happen. But at its current price, point and the amount of features it currently has, nothing else can truly haul a family of 7 and their stuff, with their boat comfortably. The big three german brands have nothing to comparable and probably nothing on the horizon for the foreseeable future,

Why does this matter?

Last edited by NoI4plz; 11-15-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: blown 383 nova, ml350, X3
RRsport has a much nicer 3rd row in my opinion, the full RR will get a 3rd row next year...
Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown383 View Post
RRsport has a much nicer 3rd row in my opinion, the full RR will get a 3rd row next year...
Its wider of an SUV from a visual standpoint, dont know if that translates to better room inside though.

Why does this matter?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Quote:
The Qx56 or rather Qx80 for `14. Thats an SUV right there Thing is a living room on wheels. The seats are ridiculously good, the space is endless and the 4wd is capable. Plus its lightyears ahead of BMW in the autonomous department. LDP, LDW, BSW, BSP, ACC, etc.

Points of knock for me personally:
The wood feels chintzy, too much leather on some occasions, the headunit, instrument panel and center console needs a 21st refresher. Plus the power anything is very slow to operate.

Im guessing the successor to the current Qx80 will make that happen. But at its current price, point and the amount of features it currently has, nothing else can truly haul a family of 7 and their stuff, with their boat comfortably. The big three german brands have nothing to comparable and probably nothing on the horizon for the foreseeable future,
Agreed. What an awesome SUV. In fact a few days after my post above, I traded in her 2011 QX56 for the 2014 QX80. Her third QX ! That's how much we believe in that vehicle.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB View Post
Agreed. What an awesome SUV. In fact a few days after my post above, I traded in her 2011 QX56 for the 2014 QX80. Her third QX ! That's how much we believe in that vehicle.
How is the 14? Any improvements over the 11? What kind of specs?

Why does this matter?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Quote:
How is the 14? Any improvements over the 11? What kind of specs?
Exterior no changes. Inside, power third row is much faster (always a big complaint of my wife's), heated 2nd row seats now come with theater package, second row has a pop up control from the dash. I could swear it rides smoother too but could be my imagination.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 AM

Gots to test out the 14s, just for the power 3rd row lol. that thing took for ever on the 12. The seat pop up is nifty but with the weight of the 2nd row seats, I can see that motor go out. Do you have adaptive body control?

Why does this matter?