Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 bmw 325e
Red face 88 M5 no dashboard heat but defrost heat works Help!

I just picked up an 88 M5 in beautiful cosmetic condition; down the road there's interior work. Used the heat for the first time today. Heat comes out of the defrost vents, but there is no heat coming from the dashboard. Haven't checked the floor yet.

In the closed position, I think I hear something open or close when the dashboard slider is moved into position. However, it seems to slide more easily than the defrost or floor slider.
The others have more tension; the dashboard has less.

Air does come out of the dashboard but no heat. AC is fine in defrost/dashboard.

Does anyone know what may be causing this. I'd appreciate any knowledgeable assistance.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
the german engineers designed what they called a 'failsafe' system into a lot of their models, when something goes wrong with the heat/ventilation system, it will 'failsafe'
into defrost only...to keep the windshield clear or deiced anyway in frigid climates... they figured, when it was cold, they would rather have the system defrosting the windshield so the operator could drive somewhere, but not allow warm air to blow on your face...which may make you sleepy .
so if it's stuck in defrost, it's an indicator something is amiss. Of course you already knew that...just filling in some background logic

check all fuses for starters, coolant level, heater box temp sensor operation... not a real complicated system but a good understanding of the components involved , how they work, where they are at, how to test etc,etc is required
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 bmw 325e
Did some more detailed searching and did find, indeed, that heat was not designed to come from the dashboard vents. Leave it to those German engineers.

Thanks very much for your reply. Saved me from major embarrassment when I take it to my mechanic. Once less thing to repair YAY!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 PM
The Arch Bishop

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, 1986 535i
88 M5 no dashboard heat but defrost heat works Help!

Below is a link to a diagram that explains it. Hope this helps someone in the future.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=55723

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app