Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: Mustang
Purchase advice

Hello all, I am looking for real owners opinions, I have been reading and researching this for the last two weeks.
After 22 years in the military my left knee has degraded to the point it is uncomfortable using the clutch in my modified mustangs and my lifted tundra just isn't practical for everyday duty of hauling kids around.
I am looking for a 4 door, rwd sports sedan with an auto. I have been looking and it seems the only choices I have are BMW and Infinity. The Infinity just looks kind of boring, BMW is the better looking one. Looking at 2007-2008 model years, I need to keep costs fairly low until the wife's Mini Cooper S is paid off (3 yrs). I am finding 335s with 75000-85000 miles from dealers and the 328 65000-75000 in the range I want to pay.
So now it is between the 328 and the 335. From all the reading I have done it seems the 328 has fewer problems, more reliable and easier to fix than the 335. I do most of the maintenance on my cars, with the exception of major overhaul stuff.
Will the 328 be powerful enough to make the occasional back road, and freeway on/off ramps loads of fun?
Will I still be able to get the back end sideways and embarrass the Honda guys? I still like the very occasional smokey burnout, but not like I used to.
Is the 335 really worth all the extra costs of turbo replacement, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, and brake noise?
This will be my daily driver and the primary family car, reliability is a must.
Thanks for your input
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpantherfan View Post
I am looking for a 4 door, rwd sports sedan with an auto. I have been looking and it seems the only choices I have are BMW and Infinity. The Infinity just looks kind of boring, BMW is the better looking one. Looking at 2007-2008 model years....Will the 328 be powerful enough to make the occasional back road, and freeway on/off ramps loads of fun?

Reliability + iDrive improved in 2009 - a good year if can afford. Can you afford not to?

You'll be very, very well served by Koni FSD install. Hugely improved over bumps; tiny bit better handling. Power's very fine and, though it won't out-run my North o'400 hp/'torque N54, is more than adequate - flat put a smile on yer mug! Consult the Capt'n o'Audio.

M quality handling can be had - sounds like you might not want the expense, now. Keep in mind - an option if you get the urge. Unbelievable improvement - you'll have difficulty finding a limit on public roads.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-13-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
I am finding 335s with 75000-85000 miles from dealers and the 328 65000-75000 in the range I want to pay.
In the above mileage range I think you would be better served getting the 328.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
In the above mileage range I think you would be better served getting the 328.
The only repair that would be hard to swallow is turbo replacement and the other ones that never seem to get fixed.

I know owning a European car is much more than American and Japanese cars and I included those additional costs in my budget. My mind is telling me the 328 but my right foot wants the 335 bad. Guess the main question is will the 328 keep my right foot happy?
Old 10-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Here is a link to a 328 I have been looking at.
Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=25&Log=0
Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Here is a link to a 328 I have been looking at.
Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=25&Log=0

Handsome - naturally, you'll be getting a pre-purchase inspection at a reputable Indy as an uninvolved 3rd party and all records including dealer warranty record and TSB's accomplished.

The details can mean so much....