Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i Sedan
Disconnect BSD from ISB. Good idea?

I own a 2008 328i. A year ago I upgraded the base stereo system with Jehnert speakers, Kenwood Excelon 2-din deck and JL Audio amp. Thank you to Technic for all the feedback/support. It sounds great, btw.

After several months, my Exide battery started giving in. I only put about 8,000 miles/year and after five years of using my car mostly for short trips and banging my new car sterreo even when idle at red lights, I was told it is normal. My car clock started lagging and after a while the DME in my car began shutting my car stereo off, which in itself would not be such a major deal if not for the fact I keep losing all settings and they are a pain to re-enter.

Following Ctuna advice, I purchased a Ctek battery charger and tried to revive my battery. It worked for a while, but then I got to the point in which the car was clearly telling me to replace the battery, or else.

So I gave in, purchased an H8-AGM at Advance Auto Parts for about $130 and got it reprogrammed at a local shop with Autologic software for another $40. However, the DME kept switching my car stereo off in the days to follow.

After reading some posts, I came to the conclusion that the problem was most likely the ISB sending the wrong information to the DME. So, I disconnected the BSD (Binary Serial Data Interface) which is the little blue connector near the negative of the battery and the problem has since gone away.

My question is: am I gonna run into long term problems if I leave the BSD disconnected? I know what the ISB does, but when the ISB does not communicate with the DME, does the alternator still charge my battery?

On Wednesday I am taking my car back to the BMW shop that programmed my battery, but I am just concerned I will open a can of worms.

Also, on unrelated news, the gas mileage indicator in my car has dropped from low 20s to about 15-16. I suspect the O2 sensor.

Any feedback/suggestion would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Why did you go to the AGM?

Why did you go to the AGM?
The stereo will like a higher voltage from the alternator I think with the regular battery but is shouldn't make
that big a difference.
Which JL amp do you have ?
How far do you drive your car a day and is some of it highway driving?
How often do you put on the ctek?
It's well documented that people that don't drive the car a lot have battery trouble.
And it seems these cars are battery hogs so if you sit and play the stereo it will suck a lot
of current out of the battery.
When you say ISB do you mean IBS?
Check where your battery and alternator voltage is at with a voltmeter. For AGM I think the voltage is lower
for charging( the alternator voltage ) also is the ctek operating in the AGM mode.
Also what does the BSD contraction stand for ?

Last edited by ctuna; 10-15-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
BSD stands for battery safety device. It's part of the positive terminal. It's a pyrotechnic device that explodes in the event of a server accident. It's designed to separately the vehicle from the electrical load of the battery so it cannot cause of a fire due to short along the chassis.

IBS is intelligent battery sensor and is part of the negative battery terminal. There is a 2-pin wire by the negative battery terminal that is suppose to be left unplugged. It is for transport mode.

Plug the BSD back in. If you get into an accident and your car ignites, say good bye to ANY insurance claims.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 10-15-2013, 06:20 AM

Btw a properly setup audio system will not give you issues with battery unless you listen to music with the engine off for extended periods of time.

I have 2, 500w RMS amps in my e90. OEM 100Ah agm....never had a problem for the past 3-4 years I've had this setup. Voltage is about 13.8v with the engine on. With non-agm voltage should be around 14.7v. But voltage is not the issue. It's current supply that you're worried about. Ensuring all connections, especially grounds are properly installed, current supply should not be an issue (up to about 1500w RMS). After 1500w you'll want to start thinking about doing the "big 3" upgrade and/or installed a higher out put alternator (if one exists for this car).

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-15-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Btw a properly setup audio system will not give you issues with battery unless you listen to music with the engine off for extended periods of time.

I have 2, 500w RMS amps in my e90. OEM 100Ah agm....never had a problem for the past 3-4 years I've had this setup. Voltage is about 13.8v with the engine on. With non-agm voltage should be around 14.7v. But voltage is not the issue. It's current supply that you're worried about. Ensuring all connections, especially grounds are properly installed, current supply should not be an issue (up to about 1500w RMS). After 1500w you'll want to start thinking about doing the "big 3" upgrade and/or installed a higher out put alternator (if one exists for this car).

Interesting....1500 watts? Even @ 14v that's a max 107 amp draw, quite a load on your BMW. What size wire's that being drawn through? Gotta wonder what average may be.

Exploding BSD you say? Hey give us a line on that - where's the explosive charge and what activates it? NSA remote control?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Interesting....1500 watts? Even @ 14v that's a max 107 amp draw, quite a load on your BMW. What size wire's that being drawn through? Gotta wonder what average may be.

Exploding BSD you say? Hey give us a line on that - where's the explosive charge and what activates it? NSA remote control?
I'm running 1000w rms, not 1500w. It's 2 gauge to a 2 farad cap an ground. Then 4 gauge to each amp and their grounds.

The BSD is located inside the positive terminal. You replace the terminal and the small 3-4" wire thy goes to the distribution block. It disrupts power to the starter, jump points, and dme. Vital components like the hazards, door locks, interior lights, etc remain powered.

It's trigger when impact is detected by the airbag module. It depends on the impact force and where the impact occurs.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM

I went the AGM route after reading several posts online praising an AGM battery over an acid one. Moreover, I got an H8 model, which should accommodate the extra power needed by the aftermarket car stereo.
As amp I have the JL Audio XL600/6, mentioned as direct replacement of the standard 6-channel amp on the base stereo model.
I often drive my car just a few miles of stop and go traffic to work. I don't hit the highway on a daily basis.
Ever since I got the new battery I used the ctek only once, and the DME turned off my car stereo the very next morning, on a fully charged new battery. That's when I realized the problem lied with the IBS. And yes, I meant to say IBS, not ISB.
Also, BSD does not stand for Battery Safety Device as fdriller9 suggested, but it stands for Binary Serial Device Interface. The BSD is part of the IBS and it is not connected on the positive terminal of the battery, but on the negative.
The module sitting on the positive terminal is the JBE, or Junction Box Electronic Control Module.
I think it is perfectly safe to disconnect the BSD from the IBS to the DME, my issue is whether when disconnected, it will let the alternator charge the battery normally.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 AM

Junction box is locatated under the fuse panel. Where are you pulling your info from?

Also I'm pretty sure H8 specifies the physical size of the battery. The ah rating refers to capacity. The higher the ah rating, the longer the battery can provide current.

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-15-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Ok so I read the copy of the BMW tech manual I have and you are right about BSD. I was mistaken and was referring to the BST, battery safety TERMINAL, not device like I said.

Junction box is still located under the fuse panel though.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:52 AM

In terms of Ah ratings and cold cranking amps, my H8-AGM battery is de facto equivalent to the factory installed Exide.
The Junction Box is located behind the fuse panel, but the Junction Box Electronic Control Module sits on top of the battery positive terminal.
I have attached the source of my information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW e90 Voltage Supply & Bus Systems.pdf (1.34 MB, 3080 views)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antidogma View Post
In terms of Ah ratings and cold cranking amps, my H8-AGM battery is de facto equivalent to the factory installed Exide.
The Junction Box is located behind the fuse panel, but the Junction Box Electronic Control Module sits on top of the battery positive terminal.
I have attached the source of my information.
Yes that is what I was referring to. As far as I can tell, there is no module on the positive terminal besides BST.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antidogma View Post
My question is: am I gonna run into long term problems if I leave the BSD disconnected? I know what the ISB does, but when the ISB does not communicate with the DME, does the alternator still charge my battery?

Playing catch-up on IBS function - what does it do?

If you replace it, send me your old IBS for a photo teardown....PM for deliv addr.

And YES, you'll likely have issues down the road. Without feedback from the battery, DME cannot adjust accordingly.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-16-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:40 AM

Just came back from the shop. Reconnected the IBS to the DME and ran a diagnostic. The battery was purring like a kitten.
I also disconnected the power supply to the aftermarket car stereo and amp to see whether the problem goes away.
If it does, then I might consider powering up the radio and amp from one of the essential feeds (rather than a non-essential) on the junction box control unit connected to the battery positive terminal.
On separate news, my O2 sensor is also working fine. I think that the low MPG issue that I have been monitoring on the car computer might be related to the DME, although I don't know how.
PS. I don't foresee replacing the IBS for now.