Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Fried Chicken
Mein Auto: BMW 330i ZHP
335d prices and reliability

So we're looking to replace the 1998 volvo with a 2010/2011 335d.

I have a couple questions, first and foremost, how reliable is this car?
I'm used to the e46 and its myriad of reliability issues, but what about the 335d with like 40k miles on it?
How much is the extended warranty/is it worth it?
Is it a concern that it was only sold here for 2 years?

Also, is there a difference between Harman Kardon audio and "premium sound"?
And as a general e90 question, does having the gps screen bring any other goodies to the car?

Finally, what's a reasonable price for a 2011 335d with 40k miles on it, no gps, cold weather/xenons/auto/leather/warranty?

Also, does chipping this car add any major risk factors?
Ads by Google
Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken View Post

I'm used to the e46 and its myriad of reliability issues, but what about the 335d with like 40k miles on it?

ETC....

I refer you to Consumers' Union - this site has no reliable info on frequency of repair and so on.

An extended warranty may be worth it....or not. Really hard to say as no terms are spec'd.

Parts may be increasingly hard to come by.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:

Also, is there a difference between Harman Kardon audio and "premium sound"?
And as a general e90 question, does having the gps screen bring any other goodies to the car?

Finally, what's a reasonable price for a 2011 335d with 40k miles on it, no gps, cold weather/xenons/auto/leather/warranty?

Also, does chipping this car add any major risk factors?
You should pose further questions on the diesel forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/for...prune=-1&f=154

1) The engine has been extremely reliable. The emissions systems have not. Search for EGR, SCR, DEF; note recall in 2011. Additionally, many people are now worried about "carbon buildup" (see referenced forum's threads) caused by EGR. Can't say for sure - I'm at 70K with no problems and so are others.
2) It was sold for 3 years - 2009 also. There are around 25K of them sold, and the X5 has similar numbers. X5 seems like it's had fewer problems - heavier duty and slightly different EGR.
3) Premium audio is Logic 7/HK. Note 2010 without HK had Base Audio - really bad.
4) GPS brings iDrive and combox - search here for pro/con arguments about worth.
5) Extended warranty runs $2500 and up (depends upon dealer). Probably worth it if you get full use of 6/100K.
6) Prices are currently $28K? - $40K?. Everyone knows that the cars were heavily discounted, so they are less than 335i from same years.
7) JBD is almost only option; no programming of the DDE (ECU) is possible.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Fried Chicken
Mein Auto: BMW 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
You should pose further questions on the diesel forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/for...prune=-1&f=154

1) The engine has been extremely reliable. The emissions systems have not. Search for EGR, SCR, DEF; note recall in 2011. Additionally, many people are now worried about "carbon buildup" (see referenced forum's threads) caused by EGR. Can't say for sure - I'm at 70K with no problems and so are others.
2) It was sold for 3 years - 2009 also. There are around 25K of them sold, and the X5 has similar numbers. X5 seems like it's had fewer problems - heavier duty and slightly different EGR.
3) Premium audio is Logic 7/HK. Note 2010 without HK had Base Audio - really bad.
4) GPS brings iDrive and combox - search here for pro/con arguments about worth.
5) Extended warranty runs $2500 and up (depends upon dealer). Probably worth it if you get full use of 6/100K.
6) Prices are currently $28K? - $40K?. Everyone knows that the cars were heavily discounted, so they are less than 335i from same years.
Thanks for the reply. What can be done about the problems with the emission system? Is this something that an extended warranty will take care of and you just not worry about?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d 2010, 528i 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post

Good list but you forgot the injectors. I ordered my car new back in Nov 2009. Now, I have a little over 48K miles and the car is at the dealer again this week. This time it is for an exhaust pressure sensor replacement. The car is usually at least 2 time at the dealer between oil change. BTW, my car had more injectors replacement than oil change.

The positive side of it, my car being at the dealer all the time allow me to drive many type of BMW (service loaner). And I drive the loaner often week at a time because often the parts have to be ordered and not available locally.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. What can be done about the problems with the emission system? Is this something that an extended warranty will take care of and you just not worry about?
Yes, the extended warranty takes care of the emissions system. They've been updating parts, so there are hopes that things will get better. Also, some hope for better repair options (other than replacing $$$ parts.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
Good list but you forgot the injectors....
Yeah, some people have encountered problems that the dealers started by replacing the injectors. However, it seems that in at least some instances it's actually a problem with the DDE and replacing it solves the problem. See threads in diesel forum. FYI, I've only had one injector problem (zero-adaptation) and that was with only 7K or so on the car. Random.