Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM
jamesching jamesching is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: denville
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 224
Mein Auto: bmw 525i 2005 e60 sedan
question

hey guys i dont have am m3 i have a 525i e60 but i mightb e getting an m3 soon. someone explain the dual clutch AUTO trans for me..so isnt it just like tip tronic on my 525i when u get to shift when u want for faster acceleration...i dont wanna get a manuel bc idk how to drive stick and i think its annoying...so is the automatic dual clutch trans just like tip tronic? please help me out thanks.only need answers so unnecessary drama.
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesching View Post
hey guys i dont have am m3 i have a 525i e60 but i mightb e getting an m3 soon. someone explain the dual clutch AUTO trans for me..so isnt it just like tip tronic on my 525i when u get to shift when u want for faster acceleration...i dont wanna get a manuel bc idk how to drive stick and i think its annoying...so is the automatic dual clutch trans just like tip tronic? please help me out thanks.only need answers so unnecessary drama.
DCT is a manual transmission with 2 clutches. One for odd, one for even gears. Shifting is done manually with paddles in S mode, or done automatically in D mode. Yes, there is no 3rd pedal.

It can be driven like an automatic, but does not drive like an automatic. That means if you're expecting smooth shifts in stop and go traffic, you're probably going to be disappointed. First gear can be very fussy if you don't control your throttle very carefully. It does NOT creep forward when you let off the brake like an automatic -- if you're on an incline, your car will drift backwards after 2 seconds just like a regular manual transmission.

Shifts are dampened nicely if you have the shift speeds slow enough, but nothing like an automatic that slurs nicely from gear to gear.

You need to drive to understand it and decide if it's for you. If you have in your mind sporty, hard shifts, and something you'll want to shift on your own, your head is in the right place.

If you're looking for smooth, soft shifts and something that will let you move through stop and go traffic by just modulating a brake, you're going to be very disappointed.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
  #3  
Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 AM
jamesching jamesching is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: denville
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 224
Mein Auto: bmw 525i 2005 e60 sedan
thanks one more thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee View Post
DCT is a manual transmission with 2 clutches. One for odd, one for even gears. Shifting is done manually with paddles in S mode, or done automatically in D mode. Yes, there is no 3rd pedal.

It can be driven like an automatic, but does not drive like an automatic. That means if you're expecting smooth shifts in stop and go traffic, you're probably going to be disappointed. First gear can be very fussy if you don't control your throttle very carefully. It does NOT creep forward when you let off the brake like an automatic -- if you're on an incline, your car will drift backwards after 2 seconds just like a regular manual transmission.

Shifts are dampened nicely if you have the shift speeds slow enough, but nothing like an automatic that slurs nicely from gear to gear.

You need to drive to understand it and decide if it's for you. If you have in your mind sporty, hard shifts, and something you'll want to shift on your own, your head is in the right place.

If you're looking for smooth, soft shifts and something that will let you move through stop and go traffic by just modulating a brake, you're going to be very disappointed.
ok so basically the automatic 7 speed dct means that i dont have to shift every 2 seconds like a manual but i wont have an easy ride like an automatic...now what were u saying about the braking...so if i wanna stop or slow down i cant just use the brakes...u were saying something about the 1st gear stuff i got confused about. also so in the end is it like tiptronic? i mean its not like if i dont shift my car blows up right....at the end of the day its still an automatic trans with diverse shifting.
  #4  
Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 AM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesching View Post
ok so basically the automatic 7 speed dct means that i dont have to shift every 2 seconds like a manual but i wont have an easy ride like an automatic...now what were u saying about the braking...so if i wanna stop or slow down i cant just use the brakes...u were saying something about the 1st gear stuff i got confused about. also so in the end is it like tiptronic? i mean its not like if i dont shift my car blows up right....at the end of the day its still an automatic trans with diverse shifting.
This statement is incorrect "its still an automatic transmission". It is a MANUAL transmission with automatic controls.

To summarize what I said above in a different way:

Ways it's like driving an automatic
1. It will shift for you so you don't have to
2. There is no clutch pedal. Stopping, starting, etc. means you drive like you would an automatic

Ways it's NOT like driving an automatic
1. Automatics "creep" forward when you take your foot off the brake -- DCTs do not. It will behave like a manual transmission car -- if you're on an incline it will start to drift backwards, and if you're level on a highway it will stay still.
2. First gear can be jerky/rough in stop and go traffic. The car will not move without you giving it gas (again it does not creep forward) so you have to feather the gas pedal gently in stop and go traffic. If you're not smooth, it will drive exactly like you would in a manual transmission car if you're not matching gas and clutch. There's no clutch pedal so the computer is trying to engage/disengage the clutch, and you'll feel it.
3. When the car shifts, it's sharper/more abrupt than in an automatic. You can configure this to some extent but it feels nothing like steptronic.

Bottom line: go and drive it. It will suit your needs exactly in the sense that you can drive it mostly like an automatic car. However, the 3 ways it's not like an automatic (esp. #1) is an important detail. It will catch you off guard if you expect this car to let you creep along and you're on an incline. Foot off the gas and your car will roll backwards, not forwards on even the slightest incline.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
  #5  
Old 10-16-2013, 05:37 AM
GVFlyer's Avatar
GVFlyer GVFlyer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 626
Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 328i xDrive
FWIW. I love BMW's DCT; before buying my M3 DCT ZCP, I bought a 335is just to get the transmission without spending $80K to do so.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rivelogic.html
__________________

Mine

Hers

http://www.specialops.org/
  #6  
Old 10-16-2013, 07:49 AM
jamesching jamesching is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: denville
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 224
Mein Auto: bmw 525i 2005 e60 sedan
awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee View Post
This statement is incorrect "its still an automatic transmission". It is a MANUAL transmission with automatic controls.

To summarize what I said above in a different way:

Ways it's like driving an automatic
1. It will shift for you so you don't have to
2. There is no clutch pedal. Stopping, starting, etc. means you drive like you would an automatic

Ways it's NOT like driving an automatic
1. Automatics "creep" forward when you take your foot off the brake -- DCTs do not. It will behave like a manual transmission car -- if you're on an incline it will start to drift backwards, and if you're level on a highway it will stay still.
2. First gear can be jerky/rough in stop and go traffic. The car will not move without you giving it gas (again it does not creep forward) so you have to feather the gas pedal gently in stop and go traffic. If you're not smooth, it will drive exactly like you would in a manual transmission car if you're not matching gas and clutch. There's no clutch pedal so the computer is trying to engage/disengage the clutch, and you'll feel it.
3. When the car shifts, it's sharper/more abrupt than in an automatic. You can configure this to some extent but it feels nothing like steptronic.

Bottom line: go and drive it. It will suit your needs exactly in the sense that you can drive it mostly like an automatic car. However, the 3 ways it's not like an automatic (esp. #1) is an important detail. It will catch you off guard if you expect this car to let you creep along and you're on an incline. Foot off the gas and your car will roll backwards, not forwards on even the slightest incline.
U give really great info without being an a hole thanks alot. Im not too smart so im gonna ask couple more things...so basically u can jus let go of the gas and the car with coast..u constantly have to put a bit of pressure on the gas in order for it to go...so if I was on flat surface it will jus stop??? Also so if I put it in s mode ill have to shift every time it hits what? 3500 rpm and d modr jusbshifts fornme. Correct?
  #7  
Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesching View Post
U give really great info without being an a hole thanks alot. Im not too smart so im gonna ask couple more things...so basically u can jus let go of the gas and the car with coast..u constantly have to put a bit of pressure on the gas in order for it to go...so if I was on flat surface it will jus stop??? Also so if I put it in s mode ill have to shift every time it hits what? 3500 rpm and d modr jusbshifts fornme. Correct?
If you put it in D, it will shift for you. If you put it in S, you have to shift.

If the car is on a level surface, and you take your foot off the brake, it won't move. You have to give it a little gas.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
  #8  
Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM
jamesching jamesching is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: denville
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 224
Mein Auto: bmw 525i 2005 e60 sedan
highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee View Post
If you put it in D, it will shift for you. If you put it in S, you have to shift.

If the car is on a level surface, and you take your foot off the brake, it won't move. You have to give it a little gas.
so if im on the highway and im going 70 and i let go of the gas and brake the car will just stop....??
  #9  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,798
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
The DCT is the way to go. Shifting while not having to take your foot off the gas and hear your car scream will give your ears a lot of pleasure.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
  #10  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesching View Post
so if im on the highway and im going 70 and i let go of the gas and brake the car will just stop....??
If you let go of the gas it will slowly decelerate, like every car on the road (except electric cars).

Go into a parking lot. Put your car in drive. Take your foot off the gas. Your car will start moving by itself.

Now put the foot on the brake, and put your car into neutral. Take your foot off the gas. Your car will either stay still or drift in the direction the car is pointed.

That's what we're talking about.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
  #11  
Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 AM
hugh1850's Avatar
hugh1850 hugh1850 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,312
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
The DCT is the way to go. Shifting while not having to take your foot off the gas and hear your car scream will give your ears a lot of pleasure.
The rev match on downshifts, so much aural win!
__________________
2013 M3
  #12  
Old 10-17-2013, 09:50 AM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,798
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh1850 View Post
The rev match on downshifts, so much aural win!
O that's something you need to hear.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
  #13  
Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh1850 View Post
The rev match on downshifts, so much aural win!
Guessing this is not a priority for the OP.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
  #14  
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM
pod13 pod13 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arlington, VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3 Melbourne Red
To restate what alee so eloquently said, the OPERATION of the DCT is almost exactly like the Tiptronic: Push the gas to go, Press the brake to stop, Shift up and down if in S-mode. The EXPERIENCE of the DCT is more akin to a manual tranny driven with perfect shifting than the Tiptronic. The shifts are crisper, you can hear the engine rev match on downshift, the car will roll on an incline if you don't hold the brake, etc. Its easy to forget there is a computer-controlled clutch in there, but you are reminded on low speed maneuvers where you can feel the clutch slipping until you modulate the throttle. The tranny downshifts automatically when coming to a stop.

I love driving a manual transmission, but I love driving the DCT more. I'm a convert. Highly recommended!
__________________
Dave

2013 M3 DCT
Past: 2002 330Ci Topaz (loved that car), 2009 X6 50i
  #15  
Old 10-19-2013, 02:03 AM
enigma's Avatar
enigma enigma is offline
Fight On!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,537
Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesching View Post
i dont wanna get a manuel bc idk how to drive stick and i think its annoying...
Are you sure you want an M3? If you find understanding how the drivetrain works annoying, I don't know if this is the car you want. Maybe you should go for a test drive instead?
__________________

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
  #16  
Old 10-26-2013, 06:42 PM
jamesching jamesching is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: denville
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 224
Mein Auto: bmw 525i 2005 e60 sedan
Dct

someone please explain to my the dct in the m3..isnt it kinda like steptronic when u shift when u want with no clutch. ik theres a regular mode and like a sports mode....in sports mode u just shift when those lights go red in ur gauges right? im confused help me out
  #17  
Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 AM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is online now
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,907
Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesching View Post
someone please explain to my the dct in the m3..isnt it kinda like steptronic when u shift when u want with no clutch. ik theres a regular mode and like a sports mode....in sports mode u just shift when those lights go red in ur gauges right? im confused help me out
I kind of thought that was in post #2 in this thread, but perhaps I'm missing something.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by,and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
  #18  
Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is online now
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,907
Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
...and I think thats a wrap.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
dct m3 bmw


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms