Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 335 Idrive
2009 335i xdrive software`

hey guys so i got a 2009 335 xdrive coupe. i had a newer bmw 2012 and i had the option to update my software with out bringing it to bmw... from what i saw prior to 2010 you need to bring it down to bmw... is there any way around this? like can i put it on a cd and install to the hard drive? also i want to update my nav is there a CD i can get to update it?

Danny
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
What are you trying to update? EGS? DME? etc...

If you have to ask the question, there is no easy way of updating the software. The way people do it outside of the dealership is to upgrade one module at a time. Dealer selects an i level and flashes the whole car to update. You can mess things up very easily if you don't know what you're doing.

The nav maps for a CIC iDrive unit can be found for free online. They are also available for purchase. Be careful who you buy from though. I know the price for CCC iDrive maps are $200. Not sure about the CIC maps.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-17-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
What are you trying to update? EGS? DME? etc...

If you have to ask the question, there is no easy way of updating the software. The way people do it outside of the dealership is to upgrade one module at a time. Dealer selects an i level and flashes the whole car to update. You can mess things up very easily if you don't know what you're doing.

The nav maps for a CIC iDrive unit can be found for free online. They are also available for purchase. Be careful who you buy from though. I know the price for CCC iDrive maps are $200. Not sure about the CIC maps.

not sure what the EGS DME is but essentially what i am looking to do is get it so that my iphone 5 is supported in my car. my 12 worked fine so my guess is its software.

what CIC and CCC for the nav? (sorry i am not to familiar with the component terms) how do i know which one i have? i def like the idea of free better.

Thank you so much for you input!
Danny
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM

EGS is the trans module. DME is engine module. You express you wanted to update the car's software but didn't specify what you wanted to update.

CCC is the older DVD based nav in older pre 08 models. CIC is the hard drive based nav found in later models 09+.

Btw I doubt you could do full car updates through the car. It may push small updates for Connected Drive etc, but not full module updates. It would take too long and kill the battery and/or brick the module due to power loss.

In order to get support for iOS 7 on your 5, you'll need a dealer visit and they will need to flash the entire car.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-17-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
You need to go to the coding sites to get solutions.

You need to go to the coding sites to get solutions.
The answers won't be simple.

bmwcoders.com

or

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368
Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
EGS is the trans module. DME is engine module. You express you wanted to update the car's software but didn't specify what you wanted to update.

CCC is the older DVD based nav in older pre 08 models. CIC is the hard drive based nav found in later models 09+.

Btw I doubt you could do full car updates through the car. It may push small updates for Connected Drive etc, but not full module updates. It would take too long and kill the battery and/or brick the module due to power loss.

In order to get support for iOS 7 on your 5, you'll need a dealer visit and they will need to flash the entire car.
sorry... i just want to update my ipod/iphone port to support ios7 amd update my navi... i guess in simpler terms the only way to do this is to bring it to a BMW dealer..

Thanks!
Danny
Old 10-17-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan831344 View Post
sorry... i just want to update my ipod/iphone port to support ios7 amd update my navi... i guess in simpler terms the only way to do this is to bring it to a BMW dealer..

Thanks!
Danny
Yes. Ask for map updates first. Normally, the car needs the newest i-level for the dealer to do coding and updating the maps may very well update support in your CIC module for iOS 7 support. So you may kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan831344 View Post
For the phone, what you want is an update to the Bluetooth support (drivers) in your car, if available. Bluetooth updates can be downloaded and installed by the end user if the car was built with the correct options.

Go to http://bmw.com/update and enter the last seven digits of your VIN. A list of available updates for your car will be returned. If no results are returned, your car either lacks the option(s) necessary to install Bluetooth drivers yourself or no new drivers compatible with your car's firmware have been released since it was built.

Map updates can also be installed by the end user in the hard-drive based (CIC) navigation system. If your nav requires you to have a map DVD in the player at all times, you have the older CCC-based system (and would just need to buy new DVDs). You have an MY2009 so that should be CIC-based. To update the CIC maps, you need the new map database and an FSC (Freischaltcode, lit. "unlock code") specific to your vehicle. Buying the update from a dealer gets you the maps on a USB flash drive plus a sheet of paper with your FSC, for about $200 total (with the FSC being the bulk of the cost).

Installation takes about 45 minutes IIRC (did mine last December or thereabouts, when the maps came out). Instructions are provided with the maps and there are several DIY threads here on Bimmerfest. You should have a strong battery, or a battery tender, to complete the update while not driving, as the ignition needs to be ON the entire time. IIRC you can interrupt the process and it will resume where it left off--for example, allowing you to update the maps over two or more regular commuting trips--but you cannot use the navigation while the update is in progress, even if interrupted.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 10-17-2013 at 01:21 PM.