Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
2010 335d Engine Surging Noise

Strange problem. I have a surging noise (or vibration) from my engine while driving steady between 100 kmh to ~ 115 kmh. If the speed is not held steady then the noise will go away. I had it in the dealer a year ago and they dismissed it as bad tires and also recommended 4 wheel alignment. I now have 4 new tires (Run flats) and the dealer did an alignment check and it is fine. It is now back at the shop for the same issue.

I live in Toronto which may point to a cold weather issue. The problem is most noticeable in colder weather so it could be related to that. The car came from California originally so I don't know if the CPU would be programmed any different for warmer climates vs. colder climates.

My warranty will end soon and I have it at the dealer for this problem now for the second time. They called me last night and said it was related to my tires and alignment. I pointed out the new tires and alignment has been addressed but the issue still exists.

I appreciate that it is difficult to describe this noise but if you have experienced this, you will know what I'm talking about. If anyone has heard of this or can offer some suggestions, I would like to come back to the dealer with it. From my perspective, I only care if the problem is resolved at this point. Replacing the engine? Probably not their first choice but until they fix the problem, it isn't off the list of options and I'm not taking it back from them until it is resolved.
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM

I'm somewhat disappointed there have been no responses to this thread. Only for the fact that I seem to be the only one experiencing this issue. In hind sight it seems to be more related to the suspension or tires but I do have new tires and a factory alignment check which I am told is within tolerance of specs but I still experience the vibration sound on occasion - not on a regular basis ----weird!!!. What else could make this noise? Damned if I know but I seem to be alone on this one. It's sitting in the garage bow for the winter but the warranty ends in April which means in Canadian climates, the car will maybe be out before the warranty ends. Lemon?????
Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadley View Post
I'm somewhat disappointed there have been no responses to this thread. Only for the fact that I seem to be the only one experiencing this issue. In hind sight it seems to be more related to the suspension or tires but I do have new tires and a factory alignment check which I am told is within tolerance of specs but I still experience the vibration sound on occasion - not on a regular basis ----weird!!!. What else could make this noise? Damned if I know but I seem to be alone on this one. It's sitting in the garage bow for the winter but the warranty ends in April which means in Canadian climates, the car will maybe be out before the warranty ends. Lemon?????

Mayhap you will try a diesel forum....
Old 10-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Chadley, i have not experienced your reported problem. I live in the deep south though. We BMW oil burners reside at the link below. Perhaps repost there as we have several Canadian folk there.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154
Old 10-27-2013, 11:44 AM

Thanks CALWATERBOY and BB_CUDA. I'll drop this over in the diesel forum.