Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x1
X1 paint chipping

Hi, this is my first post. I picked up my new 2014 X1 in July, 2013 after having over the past 15 years 2 3-series models. I loved my prior 2004 328x but it was getting older with a lot of mileage and starting to burn oil. So I made the switch to an x1. Does anyone have any issues with paint chipping in the rear at the base of the tailgate? Any after market rubber stripping that anyone has tried? I do lot of VT winter driving and think the paint issue will only get worse. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 sDrive28i xLine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaDev View Post
Hi, this is my first post. I picked up my new 2014 X1 in July, 2013 after having over the past 15 years 2 3-series models. I loved my prior 2004 328x but it was getting older with a lot of mileage and starting to burn oil. So I made the switch to an x1. Does anyone have any issues with paint chipping in the rear at the base of the tailgate? Any after market rubber stripping that anyone has tried? I do lot of VT winter driving and think the paint issue will only get worse. Thanks.
I would take it to the dealer ASAP. Paint on a brand new 2014 BMW shouldn't be chipping after only a few months (or even YEARS) from normal use. The paint may not have been applied properly from the factory. I believe the paint warranty is 3 years.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaDev View Post
What? 2004 328? Never heard of that one. IIRC, 2004 offered 325 and 330 only.
Paint should be covered under warranty if it is a factory defect.
If it's been damaged somehow(non-warranty claim) then best bet is to touch it up after getting rid of any rust or maybe have a body shop take care of it.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 10-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x1
Oops

oops - you're right - it was a 325 not 328. On the paint - the dealer/service manager says the paint chipping is normal when taking (or sliding) things in and out of hatchback due to the "sharp corner." I sent an email to BMWUSA customer service about this - normal use of hatchback - even sliding things in and out - should not result in paint chipping. I also noticed that a dealer loaner car had the same issue. I'll post BMWUSA response. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: X1 28i
YES. Have had this problem with my 2013 X1 after only five months. Haven't had a chance to take it into the dealer yet to complain.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Would someone mind posting pix of the damage? I'd like to see what to look out for. Thanks.

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)