Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Keeping it surreal

Having "Miami Vice" flashbacks....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Keeping it surreal

This kid is awesome....

Old 11-12-2013, 05:39 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Although I have an E30 now, I just can't stay away from you guys...

Okay... I assume we're talking driving music, so here we go.

But seriously... it depends on what I'm doing. Tearing up the twisties with heel-toe downshifting, braking so hard the front tires try to lock up, and hearing my tires protest through every turn?

^^^WATCH THIS ONE^^^

Am I driving leisurely and just enjoying the breeze?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
For a drive through the mountains, the one and only Michael Hedges (even his opening rambling is entertaining):

DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 323i, Ducati M1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
For a drive through the mountains, the one and only Michael Hedges (even his opening rambling is entertaining):
Thanks for that! I had never heard of him before. His playing is amazing. I had to google him. Shame that he died at such a relatively young age. I'm going to have to see what's available from iTunes.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidrific View Post
Thanks for that! I had never heard of him before. His playing is amazing. I had to google him. Shame that he died at such a relatively young age. I'm going to have to see what's available from iTunes.
If you liked that you'll probably eventually get all his work. Some of it is more full production with vocals and more instruments but he's such a gifted composer...... Who also reinvented the acoustic guitar. This piece and many others are just mind blowing, especially if you play guitar.

Start w aerial boundaries, then breakfast....., then live on double planet, then watching..... Then see if you can make the transition to his later stuff. Another one of those that was painfully taken from the world far too early...... Skidding off a rain-slicked cliff in CA in his 325, no less.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Keeping it surreal

To be played at MAXIMUM volume !

Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Crazy that we were at a lot of the same shows! I remember one show at Roosevelt Stadium, and when we went back to my friends VW bug after the show, we discovered that someone had stolen the windshield and the back window. Had no sunglasses, so we had to drive home with saran wrap held over our eyes so we could drive over 20mph. I still laugh about it! Lots of other good posts here too! Everyone seems to be getting into this,and I am glad you made it a sticky!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I saw exactly one Dead show but they stopped touring shortly after I saw them. I was never a big fan but got a free tick from a girl i was.... uh, seeing at the time. I like em ok, but not a huge fan. I do remember it, though - outdoor stadium show, thunderstorm popped up in the middle and after a big crack of thunder the power went out for about 20 mins. But it was a really good show. And driving home....... from Raleigh to Chapel Hill. Lets just say the long line of taillights in front of me at 70 mph just kind of....... flowed.....

Last edited by ahull; 11-15-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:42 PM

As long as the volume is at MAX....

Old 11-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
I saw exactly one Dead show but they stopped touring shortly after I saw them. I was never a big fan but got a free tick from a girl i was.... uh, seeing at the time. I like em ok, but not a huge fan. I do remember it, though - outdoor stadium show, thunderstorm popped up in the middle and after a big crack of thunder the power went out for about 20 mins. But it was a really good show. And driving home....... from Raleigh to Chapel Hill. Lets just say the long line of taillights in front of me at 70 mph just kind of....... flowed.....
Dead concerts were always a great party (which is probably why people attended a lot of their shows)....we usually took a large roll of clear 6 mil plastic sheeting with us, as it was normal for a thundershower to pop up at any time at those outdoor summer shows. And with opening acts like The Band or The New Riders, plus the typical bizarre "halftime show" of impromptu performers, then the Dead`s typical 5-hour playlist, you were in for a long show....we went prepared.

One of the strangest shows was the Dead`s RFK Stadium, Washington, DC affair....It was freakishly hot....on June 3rd, it was 105 degrees. On the infield of the Stadium, it was probably a bit hotter than that. People were passing ice cubes among the crowd....you would just rub it on your face, then pass it on to the person next to you.

And the Dead just continued playing....they were real troopers about it. The positive energy flowed from the stage to the audience, and back again, the waves of energy reinforcing each other. It was an amazing thing to be a part of....

Old 11-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Keeping it surreal

A little Purple Owsley, perhaps ?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330Cic ZHP

Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Retired USAF MSgt

Send a message via MSN to RivMcLean
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci, 87 Toyota PU
What else do you listen to?

Moreno Valley, CA
Old 11-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Keeping it surreal

Good stuff, Riv ! I dig good sax players too....first became aware of David Sanborn when I saw him touring with Bowie on the Young Americans tour....he just lit the place up with his incendiary playing....

Here`s a smooth number with Bob James...

Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Keeping it surreal

Bird Dog, welcome aboard ! I commend your excellent taste in music, looking forward to more

Old 11-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Keeping it surreal

And now for something a little different.....

The bass player really starts kickin` it at 1:12....he reminds me of a cross between Jon Lovitz and Flea....

Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Dead concerts were always One of the strangest shows was the Dead`s RFK Stadium, Washington, DC affair....It was freakishly hot....on June 3rd, it was 105 degrees. On the infield of the Stadium, it was probably a bit hotter than that. People were passing ice cubes among the crowd....you would just rub it on your face, then pass it on to the person next to you.

And the Dead just continued playing....they were real troopers about it. The positive energy flowed from the stage to the audience, and back again, the waves of energy reinforcing each other. It was an amazing thing to be a part of....
What year and who opened for them? I may have been there.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
What year and who opened for them? I may have been there.
It was June 9th, 1973....the Allman Brothers and the Dead....the Dead played first, during the brutal heat of the afternoon, and the Brothers took the stage around sundown, and played until around 1 in the morning. That was an intense day.....

3 carloads of us had driven down the day before the concert, and we set up camp about a quarter of a mile from the Stadium. After dark, a cop approached us on foot, and said we`d have to move our campsite to the other side of the railroad tracks, a few hundred yards away. Luckily, we had built our campfire on top of a shipping pallet, so we just picked up our fire, and took it with us. There were lots of heavily stoned people walking around, many of whom started following us, like we were Olympic torch bearers or something....it was pretty hilarious....

Old 11-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Bird Dog, welcome aboard ! I commend your excellent taste in music, looking forward to more
Thanks Bob! Only recently discovering JD McPherson sent me to the stacks for some older Rockabilly (Revival) and Bluesy stuff. I still get off on this kinda' sound after all these years... Stevie Ray Vaughan, Stray Cats and such. Here's a few others that may not be as much in the common lexicon.

Edit: Hmmm... vids not showing up. I'll try again.

Last edited by Bird-Dog; 11-20-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Posting note: AHA! "https" no good... must be "http"
Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
The bass player really starts kickin` it at 1:12....he reminds me of a cross between Jon Lovitz and Flea....

LOL...

There was some great stuff back in (what I assume to be) that era that's hardly a flicker in anyone's memory now (before my time, but I grew up with my Mom's record collection!)...

Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
It was June 9th, 1973....the Allman Brothers and the Dead....the Dead played first, during the brutal heat of the afternoon, and the Brothers took the stage around sundown, and played until around 1 in the morning. That was an intense day.....

3 carloads of us had driven down the day before the concert, and we set up camp about a quarter of a mile from the Stadium. After dark, a cop approached us on foot, and said we`d have to move our campsite to the other side of the railroad tracks, a few hundred yards away. Luckily, we had built our campfire on top of a shipping pallet, so we just picked up our fire, and took it with us. There were lots of heavily stoned people walking around, many of whom started following us, like we were Olympic torch bearers or something....it was pretty hilarious....
Slightly before my time. I started going to Dead shows only a few years before Jerry died. Awesome musicians.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Re: Official E46 Music Thread

I was at that concert!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Slightly before my time. I started going to Dead shows only a few years before Jerry died. Awesome musicians.
Indeed....now it`s up to the likes of Phish, Widespread Panic, and others to carry on....

You know that somewhere, Jerry`s smiling when he hears this one: