Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-18-2013, 02:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
eBay car with a salvage title

Off in another thread, someone posted the following link with a "what do you think?" query.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Series...US_Cars_Trucks

The other thread had nothing to do with the link above, and in an effort to avoid threadjacking that poster, I though I'd drop this comment here.

It's a 2011 with 9k miles, with a rebuilt title. Seller states it just had "light front damage" requiring the hood, bumper, and a light replaced.

Really. How gullible does one need to be to buy this? It's a $30,000 car that an insurance company estimated to have over $20,000 in damage and that's all that needed to be fixed? Sure it is.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Ads by Google
Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Off in another thread, someone posted the following link with a "what do you think?" query.

The other thread had nothing to do with the link above, and in an effort to avoid threadjacking that poster, I though I'd drop this comment here.

It's a 2011 with 9k miles, with a rebuilt title. Seller states it just had "light front damage" requiring the hood, bumper, and a light replaced.

Really. How gullible does one need to be to buy this? It's a $30,000 car that an insurance company estimated to have over $20,000 in damage and that's all that needed to be fixed? Sure it is.

Let's not rush to judgement, or come to conclusions before all the facts are in!

Why, this sounds like nothing more than a bird strike. BMW repairs can be very expensive!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:22 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
So this is an interesting proposition.

My search for a 2009 328i to be a first car for my soon to be 16 yer old son has led me to a 40k miles, beautiful jet black 328i asking $15k or so.

The owner has driven it for the past year after buying from the rebuilder who repaired damage to the left rear door / body panels.

Assuming we would keep it for 6 -7 years ..... resale value will reach terminal velocity at that time ...... could be a good find with the low miles if there is a way to satisfy the PPI essential.

I've heard 25% or so off the KBB for the rebuilt title? (Not a flood car.)

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
So this is an interesting proposition.

My search for a 2009 328i to be a first car for my soon to be 16 yer old son has led me to a 40k miles, beautiful jet black 328i asking $15k or so.

The owner has driven it for the past year after buying from the rebuilder who repaired damage to the left rear door / body panels.

Assuming we would keep it for 6 -7 years ..... resale value will reach terminal velocity at that time ...... could be a good find with the low miles if there is a way to satisfy the PPI essential.

I've heard 25% or so off the KBB for the rebuilt title? (Not a flood car.)
Based on the issues I've seen with rebuilt title vehicles, I would pay 1/2 of KBB IF the car looks and works ok. Many have obvious issues though and have a dash that's lit up like a Christmas tree.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
No way.
Could be so many hidden issues and the thing will be worthless once you start putting miles on it.
There are much better ways to spend 30k.

I bought an 07 e92 one owner six speed manual with 23k miles and full service records for little over 25k.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
Indiana salvage title rules:

Quote:
A salvage title is needed for all motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles and semi-trailers that have sustained damage and fit any of the following conditions:

An insurance company has estimated that the cost to repair the vehicle is greater than 70% of the fair market value of the vehicle immediately before the damage occurred, and has a settlement in place with the insured person.
The owner of the vehicle is a business that insures its own vehicles and the cost of repairing the vehicle is greater than 70% of the fair market value immediately before the damage occurred.
The damage was caused by a flood.

The costs to repair the vehicle should include parts and labor. However, it should not include the costs to repair or replace air bags, sound systems and tires, or the tax on parts. If a determination of the fair market value cannot be made, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) has the right to step in and give the assessment.
Salvage Title

If you wish to apply for a salvage title for your vehicle, go to any license agency and fill out State Form 49891, Salvage Title Affidavit, or you may download the form. Make sure to take the original title with you to the license agency, as you will need to surrender it.

Upon doing this and paying the $9 fee, you will be given a "salvage" title.
Rebuilt Vehicle Title

If you've repaired your vehicle to the point where it can be operated on Indiana's highways, you may apply for a rebuilt vehicle title.

To do this, you will need to have
Salvage State Form 44606, Affidavit of Restoration for a Salvage Motor Vehicle. You may also pick up a copy of the form at any license agency.

An Indiana police officer will need to complete a physical inspection of the vehicle, as well as check the vehicle and its components for theft.

Make sure to save all receipts, bills of sale and other ownership documents used in the purchase of major component parts. The police officer will need to examine all of this paperwork.

Additionally, all of the parts information (including name of the part, source vehicle identification number, name and address of the supplier, date of purchase and cost) will need to be recorded on the form. If everything checks out fine, the police officer will complete and sign the report.

Your next step will be to take the form back to the license agency. Bring along your salvage title, as you will need to surrender it. Once you have paid the $9 fee, you will be given a "rebuilt vehicle" title.
Buyer Beware

Auto fraud takes on many forms and methods, but one of the more common types is trying to hide or misrepresent the condition or history of a vehicle.

Of course, this is illegal to do. Dealers and individuals are required to tell you before you buy if the vehicle has a "salvage" title or was in a serious accident. But, some will try to do so, anyway.

So, it's up to you as the potential buyer to also be a good detective. You may want to start by doing a title or lien search on the vehicle.

Also, check the vehicle over thoroughly. Many salvaged vehicles may look good, but have "hidden" problems like ineffective brakes, difficult handling and sloppy welding.

It's a good idea to have a trusted mechanic inspect the vehicle for you. The extra cost now may save you many hours of frustration later. If the seller refuses to allow your mechanic to take a look at the vehicle, just walk away from the sale.

If you have the slightest sense that the vehicle might have been in a flood, check for signs of water damage. Look under floor mats and in the trunk for dirt or mud. Check for dampness under the seats, in the trunk and under the hood. See if you can detect water stains anywhere.

If you suspect that the vehicle may have been in a serious accident, take a close look at the paint. Make sure it matches evenly throughout the vehicle, including on the inside of the door frame. Check for even spacing between the hood, trunk and doors.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:

IMO it depends on the final selling price. I see the current bid is at $10,099.00. For that price it could be a very good bargain.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:

i get the feeling sometimes when we see those "what do you guys think?" threads from someone with low posts, its actually the person selling the car trying to get people interested.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
IMO it depends on the final selling price. I see the current bid is at $10,099.00. For that price it could be a very good bargain.
I agree, if it is bought under the right pretense. Unfortunately, I'm afraid someone with a lack of money in the bag to fix this car will get it under the impression it'll drive and behave like new for a price that seems too good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
I'm more in the vein that as it had to have had more than $20k in damages to end up with a salvage title, the seller's listing of "light damage requiring only a hood, fender, and headlight" for repairs would seem to be more than a little suspect.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I'm more in the vein that as it had to have had more than $20k in damages to end up with a salvage title, the seller's listing of "light damage requiring only a hood, fender, and headlight" for repairs would seem to be more than a little suspect.
Agreed. Before I'd buy this car I would ask for the receipts for the repair.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree, if it is bought under the right pretense. Unfortunately, I'm afraid someone with a lack of money in the bag to fix this car will get it under the impression it'll drive and behave like new for a price that seems too good to be true.
It's been my experience that buying a damaged vehicle with the idea of repairing it, even if heavily discounted, is not worth it unless you happen to be in the business / have the resources (I'm thinking Rubberismoney here) to properly fix it. In the end the cost of the vehicle plus the cost to fix it typically adds up to or exceeds buying a non-damaged vehicle in the first place. Plus the non-damaged vehicle doesn't have the stigma of a salavage title / damage.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Let's not rush to judgement, or come to conclusions before all the facts are in!

Why, this sounds like nothing more than a bird strike. BMW repairs can be very expensive!
Quote:

Here are some facts:

THere's no way this is correctly stated because I had an e92 (see thread Thank God for BMW Assist) that was totaled Saturday and that had a number of issues that needed replacement: both front fenders, front bumper cover, hood, windshield, right headlight, radiator and hoses, airbags, side glass on driver and passenger windows, seat belts replaced, instrument panel replaced, engine gasket cover and gasket replaced and that totaled $16,600....So "light" damage at $20k is a load of BS.

BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Last edited by Last Sight; 10-18-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe
I have a rebuilt 08 328xi coupe...seems like a good price...im sure its going to go higher...but I wouldn't bid on rebuilt car if I haven't test driven for atleast 10 miles...get it inspected at a good shop....might cost you a $100 but will save you a lot more in the future....(idk how ebay works when buying a car)....(ask for photos prior fix)...Mine was side swiped, not too much damage. But these cars are so sensitive. it drove fine for first couple weeks...and than I had to get steering rack-column-sway bars etc... replaced...and ITS NOT cheap! In the future I will consider buying an accident-free car.In my opinion stay away.

Last edited by Deamoneyes92; 10-18-2013 at 09:53 AM.