Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Extended warranty

Hi all,

I have 2007 328i with about 30,000 mileage. I was thinking about buying an extended warranty, either power train or gold. I don't have a navi, so I won't need platinum.
People have told me, I won't need to buy an extended warranty since I have a low annual mileage, as you can see.

Is it worth buying an extended warranty? If so, which one? Gold or power train?
And how much would it cost? I'm in los angles, CA.
Luckily, I never had problems before but since I'm out of warranty, it will give me a peace of mind.

Thank you in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: VW
Since you're out of warranty, my understanding is you won't be able to buy the factory extended warranty. You may be able to get third-party warranty coverage, though.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:25 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
4 years OR 50,000 mile which ever comes FIRST.
Thus as stated you are out of warranty and will have to source a 3rd party warranty.
Frankly you have a very dependable BMW and the cost for the warranty will end up more than what you spend in repairs. However if your peace of mind is important than by all means go for it.

I have an E93 335 3/2007 manufacturer and I never got the extended warranty which would have been up 7 months ago for me and never had one warning light until 2 weeks ago. I did the repair which is still about 1/3 of the cost of the extended warranty so for me this was the best way to go.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
4 years OR 50,000 mile which ever comes FIRST.
Thus as stated you are out of warranty and will have to source a 3rd party warranty.
Frankly you have a very dependable BMW and the cost for the warranty will end up more than what you spend in repairs. However if your peace of mind is important than by all means go for it.

I have an E93 335 3/2007 manufacturer and I never got the extended warranty which would have been up 7 months ago for me and never had one warning light until 2 weeks ago. I did the repair which is still about 1/3 of the cost of the extended warranty so for me this was the best way to go.
Thanks for the reply. Good thing that your repair didn't cost you much. Knock on wood, what if another light comes on again in the future?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb35 View Post
Since you're out of warranty, my understanding is you won't be able to buy the factory extended warranty. You may be able to get third-party warranty coverage, though.
Do you guys recommend any reliable third party warranty company?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I will get another warning light that is the nature of owning a car and when it happens if the extended warranty provided to us 335 owners doesn't cover it (turbos and high pressure fuel pump) then I will fix it unless it is beyond my capabilities to do so.

You will get some kind of warning that may or maynot be too serious, 328's are pretty reliable. You don't sound like you have interest in fixing your own car so you might want the extended 3rd party warranty. My dealer offered both the BMW extended warranty and an extended warranty they also supported. Only you can make that decision. However rather than being held hostage to a warning light do yourself a favor and get an app that works on either Iphone or Android called BMWhat and a wifi device that plugs into the OBDII port. It will read any code on the car allowing you to understand and research what is going on with your car.

You need not be interested in working on your own car to understand what problem you might incur.

You can't be hoodwinked this way.

Last edited by fun2drive; 10-18-2013 at 07:46 PM.