Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Who should I mail a complaint letter to at BMW USA?

I would like to mail a complaint letter to BMW USA regarding my sales experience back in September at Open Road of Newton. I just don't know who I should send it to.
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Re: Who should I mail a complaint letter to at BMW USA?

Check the Contact page at bmwusa.com. The mailing address is there. You can call the Customer Service line and ask to whom you should address the letter.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 10-18-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Another option is to address it and send it to the CEO of BMW NA. That will guarantee it's opened by someone on his staff. I did that once with Volvo and boy, did they snap to attention.

Writing a good complaint letter is an art. Here's how you do it (I used to work in Customer Support, so I know what works).
1. Address it to someone high up. If you send it to the normal customer complaint mailbox you will get standard response #42.
2. Do a Web search and find a statement from the person you're writing to stating that your issue is important to them. For example, the CEO saying, "The BMW dealer network is key to our success, and keeping its quality up is our #1 priority." (I'm making it up, but every CEO says stuff like that.)
3. Write a letter with the following parts:
(a) Dear CEO,
You stated in Y on X date that "[quoted statement]." This is why I am bringing it to your attention that Open Road of Newton does not share your beliefs."
(b) Make your complaint. Make it as fact-based as possible: not "they were impolite and never got back to me" but "They promised to call me on 3 separate times (xx/xx/xx, xx/xx/xx, and xx/xx/xx) and never did. The one time they did call back was two days after they said they would."
(c) Make your request: what you expect them to do. If you don't do this, they have no clue on how to approach you. They may feel your request is outlandish, but at least have an idea where to go. If you say, "I expect a $1,000 service credit," they may come back with, "How about $500?"
(d) Sign off: "Thank you very much for your consideration in this matter."

Good luck!

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages

Last edited by gcreese; 10-18-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
OP - did you talk to the General Manager (not sales manager) at the dealership about your issues? If you didn't, maybe you should. If you did, make sure you note that in the letter as it shows that you tried to resolve without success.

What exactly were your issues?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
OP - did you talk to the General Manager (not sales manager) at the dealership about your issues? If you didn't, maybe you should. If you did, make sure you note that in the letter as it shows that you tried to resolve without success.

What exactly were your issues?
I agree with this process. Unless you have tried to reasonably resolve your issue with the sale manager and eventually general manager for the dealership, you're overstepping too many levels.

The dealership should have a chance to make it right and if you go straight from sales person to CEO of BMW NA, then they are not given the chance to make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 PM

Fair points in the two posts above. You first want to resolve it locally if you can. However, if you have been trying to do that since September and feel you're getting nowhere, then there's nothing wrong with escalating.

At times, local management will stall, figuring you'll eventually give up. And if you do give up, the process remains broken for the next customer. The key is that complaining customers care -- they care enough about the company that they want things put right. If you're a company, the true nightmare is when customers stop complaining. They've decided that the company is past saving and just take their business elsewhere.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 10-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
Was that place formerly Bell BMW?? Explain what your problem is with dealership for more detailed help.

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 PM

This was the letter I was planning on sending. Thoughts?

Dear Mr. Willisch,

As you have stated BMW customers expect value, but they also are demanding of "authenticity, design and great personal service." Which is why I am writing to you, as I did not receive 'great personal service' from Open Road of Newton. Let me explain.

Saturday August 31st I decided to go look at a used BMW at a dealership some distance from my house. I was excited because I was finally getting a chance to get another BMW after not having one for about a year. After my test drive I spoke to the sales representative and he asked me if he knew the car I was trading in had been in a front end collision. I told him the Carfax the dealer had provided gave no evidence of collision damage I was shocked to say the least. The sales representative was kind enough to provide me with a copy. I returned home to compare the current report with the one I had received last year. Mine indeed was clean.

I decided I would go to the dealer I purchased the car from, Open Road BMW, and see what could be done. At that time I made the decision to not mention that I had been to another dealership. A gentleman came out to help us and we (a friend who was gracious enough to come with me) indicated that I would like to deal with the sales representative from my previous purchase. While we waited, another gentleman came out and wrote down the VIN number for my current car. Obviously with the intent of running a Carfax.

We waited probably 20-30 minutes before my sales rep brought us back into the showroom. I was told that the used car that I had purchased from this very dealership for $16,000 the year prior (2011 Honda Civic EXL), was now according to their numbers, only worth $10,000. We were told several times that this was due to depreciation. When we pressed for further explanation indicating that this was highly unlikely, that is when we were told that the car had been in an accident. I told him that’s impossible because the Carfax was clean when you sold it to me. The sales rep jumped on that right away indicating that they had no way of knowing and they couldn’t do anything about it.

I was sufficiently annoyed because he was not forthright with me from the moment he had the Carfax in hand. Actually, he had the carfax in hand, then on the windowsill, then in his lap, then showed it to me after I pressed the issue. I decided against purchasing a car that day.

I returned on Labor Day after digesting the information from two days prior and decided I would still move forward with the purchase. I spent close to three hours in the dealership going over different financing options. Throughout the process I am listening to my sales adviser assert the virtues of the dealership. “Honesty” and “integrity” were words I kept hearing. “Word of mouth is everything” is a term I also heard. As I am getting up to go sign the financials I am informed, in quite the matter of fact manner, that the car I am about to drive away in was also involved in an accident, but “it was only the right bumper and you can go and take a look.” I was stunned. This, after taking a test drive with no mention of anything indicating it had been in an accident. After everything that happened two days prior, this is what was done. I was fed up. I signed the paperwork and left.

The following weekend I completed the survey sent to me via email and gave less than favorable ratings. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I returned home that day to a somewhat frantic call from my sales adviser to call him as soon as possible. It was very important. I returned the call Sunday night and left a message indicating that unless something were to be done to change the negative feelings I now had, then a return call would not be necessary, but if something could be worked out, I was open to listening. I finally received a call 5 days later from the sales adviser with the same message, “please call me back it’s very important”. I returned the call 20 minutes later and asked the receptionist to put me through. She indicated he was on the phone. I then asked her to let him know I was returning his call and if he could please call me back. Four days later I receive a call from Open Road, but no message. From my perspective that means I am not valued enough as a customer. This is not the response I expect after purchasing a high end vehicle. I am disappointed to say the least.

In the age of social media a single voice has the proven potential to reach hundreds even thousands of people or in this case thousands of "loyal and current" BMW customers. It's most unfortunate that in trying times, such as these for the car industry, a dealership would not be honest and upfront with returning clientele. I didn’t think customer service was something I needed to concern myself with this particular dealership. It appears I may have expected too much.

I am hoping that shining the light on the highly unsatisfactory sales experience I received will keep this from happening to other unsuspecting buyers. A $1500 service credit would do a great deal towards rectifying the highly unsatisfactory experience in my eyes. At this point I have no interest in pursuing this locally as I have come to the realization that nothing will done, which is why I have addressed this letter directly to you. It is my hope that you find my experience unacceptable and not to the level one would expect from BMW.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcreese View Post
Another option is to address it and send it to the CEO of BMW NA. That will guarantee it's opened by someone on his staff. I did that once with Volvo and boy, did they snap to attention.

Writing a good complaint letter is an art. Here's how you do it (I used to work in Customer Support, so I know what works).
1. Address it to someone high up. If you send it to the normal customer complaint mailbox you will get standard response #42.
2. Do a Web search and find a statement from the person you're writing to stating that your issue is important to them. For example, the CEO saying, "The BMW dealer network is key to our success, and keeping its quality up is our #1 priority." (I'm making it up, but every CEO says stuff like that.)
3. Write a letter with the following parts:
(a) Dear CEO,
You stated in Y on X date that "[quoted statement]." This is why I am bringing it to your attention that Open Road of Newton does not share your beliefs."
(b) Make your complaint. Make it as fact-based as possible: not "they were impolite and never got back to me" but "They promised to call me on 3 separate times (xx/xx/xx, xx/xx/xx, and xx/xx/xx) and never did. The one time they did call back was two days after they said they would."
(c) Make your request: what you expect them to do. If you don't do this, they have no clue on how to approach you. They may feel your request is outlandish, but at least have an idea where to go. If you say, "I expect a $1,000 service credit," they may come back with, "How about $500?"
(d) Sign off: "Thank you very much for your consideration in this matter."

Good luck!
Great post.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Looks very good. If you send it in, please let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
I wouldnt specifically ask for the compensation that you want......... You will be given a call and they will ask you what would make you feel satisfied........

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 11-08-2013, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmabrams89 View Post

Dear Mr. Willisch,

As you have stated BMW customers expect value, but they also are demanding of "authenticity, design and great personal service." Which is why I am writing to you....

[SEVERAL PARAGRAPHS]

Touch floral / mildly flambé. Weed wordiness & emotion some - getting in way of facts. Scratch stuff like "....shocked...."

Followup phone call'll mean something to 'em! Can establish yourself as not another nut - be professional - look for good solution. Anger = Kiss O'Death - they do have other things to do today - your goal's to capture their interest and present in a way they feel they can work with.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-08-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 98 740il

Take it to the MAN!!!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-08-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmabrams89 View Post

Dear Mr. Willisch,

As you have stated BMW customers expect value, but they also are demanding of "authenticity, design and great personal service." Which is why I am writing to you, as I did not receive 'great personal service' from Open Road of Newton. Let me explain.

Saturday August 31st I decided to go look at a used BMW at a dealership some distance from my house. I was excited because I was finally getting a chance to get another BMW after not having one for about a year. After my test drive I spoke to the sales representative and he asked me if he knew the car I was trading in had been in a front end collision. I told him the Carfax the dealer had provided gave no evidence of collision damage I was shocked to say the least. The sales representative was kind enough to provide me with a copy. I returned home to compare the current report with the one I had received last year. Mine indeed was clean.

I decided I would go to the dealer I purchased the car from, Open Road BMW, and see what could be done. At that time I made the decision to not mention that I had been to another dealership. A gentleman came out to help us and we (a friend who was gracious enough to come with me) indicated that I would like to deal with the sales representative from my previous purchase. While we waited, another gentleman came out and wrote down the VIN number for my current car. Obviously with the intent of running a Carfax.

We waited probably 20-30 minutes before my sales rep brought us back into the showroom. I was told that the used car that I had purchased from this very dealership for $16,000 the year prior (2011 Honda Civic EXL), was now according to their numbers, only worth $10,000. We were told several times that this was due to depreciation. When we pressed for further explanation indicating that this was highly unlikely, that is when we were told that the car had been in an accident. I told him that’s impossible because the Carfax was clean when you sold it to me. The sales rep jumped on that right away indicating that they had no way of knowing and they couldn’t do anything about it.

I was sufficiently annoyed because he was not forthright with me from the moment he had the Carfax in hand. Actually, he had the carfax in hand, then on the windowsill, then in his lap, then showed it to me after I pressed the issue. I decided against purchasing a car that day.

I returned on Labor Day after digesting the information from two days prior and decided I would still move forward with the purchase. I spent close to three hours in the dealership going over different financing options. Throughout the process I am listening to my sales adviser assert the virtues of the dealership. “Honesty” and “integrity” were words I kept hearing. “Word of mouth is everything” is a term I also heard. As I am getting up to go sign the financials I am informed, in quite the matter of fact manner, that the car I am about to drive away in was also involved in an accident, but “it was only the right bumper and you can go and take a look.” I was stunned. This, after taking a test drive with no mention of anything indicating it had been in an accident. After everything that happened two days prior, this is what was done. I was fed up. I signed the paperwork and left.

The following weekend I completed the survey sent to me via email and gave less than favorable ratings. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I returned home that day to a somewhat frantic call from my sales adviser to call him as soon as possible. It was very important. I returned the call Sunday night and left a message indicating that unless something were to be done to change the negative feelings I now had, then a return call would not be necessary, but if something could be worked out, I was open to listening. I finally received a call 5 days later from the sales adviser with the same message, “please call me back it’s very important”. I returned the call 20 minutes later and asked the receptionist to put me through. She indicated he was on the phone. I then asked her to let him know I was returning his call and if he could please call me back. Four days later I receive a call from Open Road, but no message. From my perspective that means I am not valued enough as a customer. This is not the response I expect after purchasing a high end vehicle. I am disappointed to say the least.

In the age of social media a single voice has the proven potential to reach hundreds even thousands of people or in this case thousands of "loyal and current" BMW customers. It's most unfortunate that in trying times, such as these for the car industry, a dealership would not be honest and upfront with returning clientele. I didn’t think customer service was something I needed to concern myself with this particular dealership. It appears I may have expected too much.

I am hoping that shining the light on the highly unsatisfactory sales experience I received will keep this from happening to other unsuspecting buyers. A $1500 service credit would do a great deal towards rectifying the highly unsatisfactory experience in my eyes. At this point I have no interest in pursuing this locally as I have come to the realization that nothing will done, which is why I have addressed this letter directly to you. It is my hope that you find my experience unacceptable and not to the level one would expect from BMW.

I find the letter to be confusing and wordy...I don't understand the point of the complaint.

If I was a busy beaurocrat at BMW, I'd dismiss it.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 11-09-2013, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
I find the letter to be confusing and wordy...I don't understand the point of the complaint.

If I was a busy beaurocrat at BMW, I'd dismiss it.
Ditto. The message is there, but it gets lost because the letter is way too long.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Re: Who should I mail a complaint letter to at BMW USA?

I agree with everyone. I cant understand some sentences and info was repetitive and seemed irrelevant. It was all over the place, I stopped reading it halfway...

Old 11-09-2013, 11:37 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT

Yeah, you need to trim it down. I was left slightly confused.

And you ended up signing the paperwork even after they told you it had been in an accident that late in the process?

I would have been like "lolnopenopenopenope." and left right there.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
Yeah, you need to trim it down. I was left slightly confused.

And you ended up signing the paperwork even after they told you it had been in an accident that late in the process?

I would have been like "lolnopenopenopenope." and left right there.

You guys! What has happened to perseverance and integrity in America? Why, if you'd just work your way through it, a vision of thick glasses with center white tape repair might present, but you'll get the meaning within.

And that meaning is profound. Here is an eloquent cry for help, but what does OP get? Misunderstanding by those who haven't read the whole thing!

Back you all go....read it through....and have some empathy for the OP. Relate. Stand in his shoes for just 5 minutes!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
I agree the letter is a bit confusing.

Is the OP unhappy with 1 or 2 dealerships? Did the OP buy his Honda from "Open Road" and then was looking to be a BMW from another dealer?

It seems the OP is unhappy that the Open Road dealership sold him a Honda with damage, but Open Road stated they did not know about it. Not defending the dealer, but did OP ask CarFax why it wasnt on the original CarFax report (at the time of purhase) but now is? Maybe Open Road is right in that they did not know about it.

Is OP also complaining that the used BMW he purchased also had damage, but was fully disclosed by the dealer? Why is that a problem? Tends to make the OP look like a complainer.

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 11-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Essentially my beef with this whole process stems from the fact that I do not believe that Open Road did not know about the Honda being in the accident. This is because according to the CARFAX report Open Road BMW purchased the vehicle a mere TEN days after the reported accident. And the first dealer indicated to me when he looked at it, ANYONE could tell that this car had front end damage and the repair wasn't ideal. That aside...even AFTER that portion of the program had been resolved, the way in which I was informed that the current purchase had been in an accident showed to me that they severely lacked in the integrity department. Yes they disclosed the accident to me....after being there 2 days in a row, 3 hours the 2nd day and a 20 minute test drive I was told literally as I was getting up to sign the papers. I should have been told at the beginning of the negotiations on the new purchase. But my guess is they thought I may walk out. If we keep her here 3 hours we have a better shot. Sorry, that is not the way to do business. If nothing comes of the letter so be it, but not sending it guarantees nothing happens. So I will tweak it then send it.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-16-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM
some douchie BM driver

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport
uh if they told you and you still signed the papers... it's a done deal
Old 11-20-2013, 07:19 PM

I am not asking them to take the car back. Just letting them know that I find their tactics unacceptable.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: Car
I agree with other posters. The content is difficult to follow and understand. You seem to jump from present to past very quickly and it is hard for me to comprehend if you are complaining about a BMW or a Honda. There is way too much information. English is my native language and I am a college graduate.

Here is what I got out of it after reading it twice.

You purchased a Honda at a BMW dealership and wanted to trade it in for a BMW at a different BMW dealership a year later. The original BMW dealership sold the car with a clean carfax but there was actually bumper damage. You knew this and signed anyway. A year later your $16K retail purchase is worth $10K trade in and you want service credit for your Honda because the bumper damage was more extensive than you thought.

Look, if you send this right now you will politely be told the information on a carfax is not guaranteed to be completely accurate. You will be politely be dismissed. The numbers you quote in the letter are probably in line for your area with differences in retail vs wholesale pricing regardless of a issue with a discrepancy in a report. You might run them on KBB.com and verify what I am talking about.