Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-18-2013, 04:31 PM
alex800st alex800st is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: x5
Rain sensors

Seems like something wrong with the rain sensors - if I put wipers to "A" position, it does not care raining hard or not, giving me a wipe every several seconds regardless.
I have a suspicion that the same sensor senses brightness outside - because my HUD is on the same brightness regardless day or night, and practically invisible daytime.
Am I right? Any way to check that sensor?

Last edited by alex800st; 10-18-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-19-2013, 01:13 AM
jgchoi jgchoi is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, BC
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 98
Mein Auto: 2013 X5d 2011 750xi
Although my rain sensor works just fine but I'm pretty sure that they are different sensors located differently. HUD brightness can be adjusted in the iDrive menu and it, I believe, stays the same no matter what.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2013, 06:36 AM
alex800st alex800st is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgchoi View Post
Although my rain sensor works just fine but I'm pretty sure that they are different sensors located differently. HUD brightness can be adjusted in the iDrive menu and it, I believe, stays the same no matter what.
It says "The brightness setting is automatically corrected in order to compensate for different

light conditions. Compensation is based on signals from the rain and light sensor. The

automatic brightness setting is configured in such a way that no HUD brightness jumps

occur."

here - https://drive.google.com/folderview?...VQ1c1dLQ3hYVFE , in the section "Head-up display".

Can you see the HUD on a bright, sunny day? I can't.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 AM
blue dragon blue dragon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 719
Mein Auto: X5 35D
Hud gets brighter in bright sunlight, and dimmer at night.
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 AM
jgchoi jgchoi is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, BC
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 98
Mein Auto: 2013 X5d 2011 750xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex800st View Post
It says "The brightness setting is automatically corrected in order to compensate for different

light conditions. Compensation is based on signals from the rain and light sensor. The

automatic brightness setting is configured in such a way that no HUD brightness jumps

occur."

here - https://drive.google.com/folderview?...VQ1c1dLQ3hYVFE , in the section "Head-up display".

Can you see the HUD on a bright, sunny day? I can't.
I should've said, "HUD brightness stays the same to my eyes" and yes, I can always see the HUD but not as clearly on a bright, sunny day (you're already aware of the HUD not working with polarized sunglasses, right?). According to the provided HUD page, you must be right about the sensor being a single unit. My bad.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2013, 03:35 PM
alex800st alex800st is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: x5
update - took the car to the dealership today. it took them 3 hours to fix the issue. I asked - just replace the damn sensor, 2 minutes job. They say - no, we have to follow The Protocol - connect my car to a computer, it will run the diagnostic, we will check wiring, etc etc. In 3 hours they come back and say - yes, the sensor did not work, but we will not replace it - we will "re-initialize" it. Indeed, soon I get the car back and rain sensing started to work.
Good thing - they did not charge me.

Question - what is "re-initialazing" of the sensor means? Anybody?
I was ready to get one off ebay - does it mean it may not work without initializing?

Another question - your HID low beam in "A" setting - is it "On" on a sunny day?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,484
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex800st View Post
update - took the car to the dealership today. it took them 3 hours to fix the issue. I asked - just replace the damn sensor, 2 minutes job. They say - no, we have to follow The Protocol - connect my car to a computer, it will run the diagnostic, we will check wiring, etc etc. In 3 hours they come back and say - yes, the sensor did not work, but we will not replace it - we will "re-initialize" it. Indeed, soon I get the car back and rain sensing started to work.
Good thing - they did not charge me.

Question - what is "re-initialazing" of the sensor means? Anybody?
I was ready to get one off ebay - does it mean it may not work without initializing?

Another question - your HID low beam in "A" setting - is it "On" on a sunny day?
Well, if they 'fixed' it by 'reinitializing' it, the sensor wasnt 'broken' or 'bad'... possibly the software in the module that receives the sensor input was corrupted?

They talk in shorthand as it takes too much effort to eductae people on what is involved. 99% of people dont care.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2013, 05:40 PM
boostedX5SAV boostedX5SAV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 266
Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex800st View Post
update - took the car to the dealership today. it took them 3 hours to fix the issue. I asked - just replace the damn sensor, 2 minutes job. They say - no, we have to follow The Protocol - connect my car to a computer, it will run the diagnostic, we will check wiring, etc etc. In 3 hours they come back and say - yes, the sensor did not work, but we will not replace it - we will "re-initialize" it. Indeed, soon I get the car back and rain sensing started to work.
Good thing - they did not charge me.

Question - what is "re-initialazing" of the sensor means? Anybody?
I was ready to get one off ebay - does it mean it may not work without initializing?

Another question - your HID low beam in "A" setting - is it "On" on a sunny day?
Auto setting for headlights is very sensitive. I have seen on sunny days and the headlight is on.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex800st View Post
They say - no, we have to follow The Protocol - connect my car to a computer, it will run the diagnostic, we will check wiring, etc etc. In 3 hours they come back and say - yes, the sensor did not work, but we will not replace it - we will "re-initialize" it. Indeed, soon I get the car back and rain sensing started to work.
Good thing - they did not charge me.
The dealers are between a rock and a hard place on this topic. If they do not follow the protocol that BMW set-up, BMW NA can, and will, deny them warranty reimbursement. BMW NA aggressively audits warranty claims and stick it to the dealer whenever they find a slip-up.

A BMW dealer I know said that BMW found a single slip-up on one battery claim they processed, so BMW then retroactively and automatically denied all of the battery claims the dealer had submitted in the past 12 months.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-26-2013, 03:45 AM
TinyRK's Avatar
TinyRK TinyRK is online now
Ja mei!
Location: Aurora mit dem Sonnenstern
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 313
Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedX5SAV View Post
Auto setting for headlights is very sensitive. I have seen on sunny days and the headlight is on.
Indeed.
There are several sensitivity levels and here in the US they're at the highest level of sensitivity.


Can be coded.
__________________
BMWCCA Member# 481324
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:42 AM
alex800st alex800st is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: x5
Interesting fact I did not know - that rain/light sensor is also a solar sensor. It tracks sun in the sky and adjust air distribution to cool down the sunny side.

Another thing I discovered recently - while driving on cruise control and entering the ramp with the speed that is higher that car thinks is safe - cruise control drops the speed and recovers after the cornering is done. That car keeps surprising me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms