Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-19-2013, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
2006 mpg info in the cluster missing?

Hi,
I just noticed that my mpg information in my cluster is missing, I can't see it behind the steering wheel nor on the center console display . I see the usual indicators : date,time, speed limit, but it's missing the fuel consumption info. I assume I must have canceled/deactivated it. I'm wondering if there's a way of bringing it back. I tried to play with the BC button but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Neal
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealS31 View Post
I tried to play with the BC button but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Neal
Since we have no info to go on except that you have a 2006 model year...can we assume that you have the high instrument cluster & the high MID? If you have the low cluster or navigation monitor...then you'll need to post back so that we can make suggestions based on those options.

Which BC button are you pressing? There's one on the end of your turn signal stalk, and one on the MID (multi-information display) that is in the center stack of your dash above the AC/Heat control panel.

The 20 digit alpha/numeric display located in the instrument cluster is the display for the Check Control system...and to get the OBC features to appear in that display...they must be programmed. The display for the OBC is the MID (or the nav screen if so optioned). The BC button on the turn signal stalk, only calls up the OBC features that have been programmed to appear in the instrument cluster's display. The BC button on the MID is what controls the OBC and the MID (or nav screen) is where the OBC features are set/stopped/started/reset.

If you're pressing the BC button on the turn signal stalk in an attempt to pull up the 1CONSUM2...then you first need to program it to appear in your cluster. If you press the BC button on your MID...keep pressing it until you see the 1CONSUM2 appear in the MID's display.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 10-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Thanks Silver! Excellent breakdown and explanation. It was all about the programming on the center stack above the AC/Heat control panel. I really appreciate the great answer!
Old 10-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Okay...sounds like you have the HIGH instrument cluster with the HIGH MID.

If you want to call up any of the OBC features to appear in the instrument cluster...see the instructions below. You can have ALL of the OBC features appear in the cluster...or you can select the ones you want to appear by selecting only the ones you want. For example, I personally only select TIME/DATE/RANGE/CONS1/STPWATCH.

You basically press & hold the BC button on the turn stalk until PROG 1 appears in the cluster's display, then select the OBC features you want to appear by selecting them on the MID. Each selection will change the cluster's display to PROG 2, PROG 3, PROG 4, etc. When you're done with your selection, then press the SET button on the MID.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg