Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-21-2013, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Angry Complaints About 2014 NAV System

Got my X3 delivered in first week of July. The Nav system could not find my house! (Aftermarket Garmin Unit has for years). What's worse, it sent me off onto side roads that lead away from my home!! Most recently I used the Nav system to find a government office in Boulder that has been there for many years. It sent me a half-mile away! It is useless IMHO. I called BMW to complain and they suggested I pay $250 for the latest maps!!!

I am filing a written complaint. IMHO they should refund the cost of the NAv system, not ask for more $$. Sounds like a class action suit to me.

Apparently they changed from Navtec maps to Tom Tom in 2014.

This system is a very expensive POS. I cannot rely on this system to find any location. That BMW wants us to pay MORE $$ just to make it work is an insult.

Are any of you experiencing such problems??
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
I am sorry you are having problems with your nav system. I have a 2011 that I upgraded to 2013 maps and just last week to 2014 maps. I am very pleased with the BMW nav system but acknowledgebly it is not perfect; but neither are the various Garmin's I have had over the years and especially the absolutely terrible system in my Lexus RX-350. Maybe my satisfaction with the BMW stems from comparing it to the Lexus system but I am still happy with it.

All the nav systems I have had seem to have a problem in certain areas. For example, in Syracuse, NY there is a great ribs place called Dinosaurs. My X3, my Lexus RX-350, and the Garmin Nuvi we use to supplement the POS Lexus system all take us to a point a block away and out of sight of the restaurant. Both the multiple Garmin units and our Lexus all get equally very confused in Kissimmee, Florida (the X3 has not yet been to Fl). My wife and I have known for years we cannot depend upon any nav system in the Kissimmee area. In other words, it just might be your lousy luck your home might be in one of thiose areas like Kissimmee where none of the nav systems can successfully find anything.

I am no novice with navigations systems and in one form or another have been using them since 1979 or so. Given a choice, I would love to have an old Garmin Street Pilot (the best ever for automotive use) updated with a large screen and modern graphics etc. The Nuvis are just much too dumbed down for my tastes but are all that are available now. Nevertheless, although a lot of people complain about the BMW system, I am overall happy with it. With a few exceptions (seemingly common to all systems) it does a good job getting me where I want to go with good displays. I would like to see a split screen display showing details of the next four or five exits like the Lexus does (and the only thing Lexus does well) but in the balance, especially comparing it to the system in our Lexus, it does an excellent job.

Some people complain the BMW system recalculates too slowly. I agree it could be faster but, in reality, the time delay is only seconds and has no adverse consequence except for the absence of instant gratification.

I also really like the iDrive controller. It took me a bunch of hours going through the system when I got the car to learn how to get to everything but once I mastered it I found it is extremely user friendly. Much better than the touch screens and really convenient.

In order to see street detail on other systems, including the Garmins, it is necessary to zoom so far in I lose the perspective of the area I am in. BMW shows me good street level details without being so far zoomed in that I cannot also see the surrounding areas.

To solve the problem with your home you might just park in the front of the house and set that specific location in memory in lieu of entering your address. This may or may not solve your problem.

I do not know what to suggest to you as I think you have a much better system than you think you might.

Last edited by RhoXS; 10-21-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Welcome to BMW Nav; the system that will guide you to almost anywhere. Just be sure to allow for extra time and fuel.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
RhoXS,

Please tell me about your 2014 version. We just got an update via the dealer and I thought it was the 2013 version. Can you tell me how you obtained the update and what your version info says?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Check the obvious thread in the 2nd Gen XBimmers X3 Forum.

If you check the version on the display in the car its about as obvious as it can get what year maps you have.

Last edited by RhoXS; 10-21-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAT View Post
Got my X3 delivered in first week of July. The Nav system could not find my house! (Aftermarket Garmin Unit has for years). What's worse, it sent me off onto side roads that lead away from my home!! Most recently I used the Nav system to find a government office in Boulder that has been there for many years. It sent me a half-mile away! It is useless IMHO. I called BMW to complain and they suggested I pay $250 for the latest maps!!!

I am filing a written complaint. IMHO they should refund the cost of the NAv system, not ask for more $$. Sounds like a class action suit to me.

Apparently they changed from Navtec maps to Tom Tom in 2014.

This system is a very expensive POS. I cannot rely on this system to find any location. That BMW wants us to pay MORE $$ just to make it work is an insult.

Are any of you experiencing such problems??
I've had mixed results with mapping software (Google, MS Streets & Trips, portable devices, etc) correctly finding addresses. Some get one address correct some get the same address wrong. None that I have used get all the addresses correct.

I have come to understand that these things will get me close, but it will be up to me to look at addresses and such to get to the actual location.

The X3 nav has met my expectations, so I am happy. But my expectations are different than yours.

I know this doesn't help ACAT, but for other readers who have not yet purchased: If nav accuracy is important to you, try it out on the lot with some sample addresses before you buy.

ACAT - try turning off the dynamic routing - this seems to make the nav unit pick some really stupid routes as it tries to route you around perceived route delays. I had it on in mine for about a day and then I turned it off as it tried to take my to Denver from Colorado Springs by way of Deckers or some such out of the way place. The traffic alerts are pretty good, but you don't want the computer auto-routing based on what data it thinks it has received.

By the way, it did not get my address correct out here between Florissant and Cripple Creek even though this house has been here for sixty years and the address has been here since they had addresses. Nothing else gets it exactly right either. So I just plopped a POI down in the address book and now the damn thing takes me right into my garage.

Also, the BMW center up there is blowin' smoke at you. The '14 US maps for the '14 X3 are not yet available. 2014 maps are available for the pre-2014 X3 F25, but that's a different computer.
http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/

No guarantee that new maps will fix anything of interest to you - caveat emptor.

If you want to PM me an address near your home, I'll try it on my car and see what I get.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
I took delivery of new, 2014 X3 with Navigation Package with BMW Apps in mid-October 2013. Immediately encountered multiple problems with the Nav Package:

1) System cannot even get me from the dealer's facility to my house even though house has been there 20 years. At key intersection, the system directs me to turn left where there is no left turn instead of saying to turn right (which is the correct direction).

2) Systems announces "guidance is limited" on way to dealer and also at the dealer. Seems to be lost. Dealer gets same problem even for other destinations they enter.

3) Cannot log in with My BMW Remote iPhone app. And BMW Assist has not idea why and says will take weeks to get back to me about it.

After 6 days in BMW dealer service shop where they tried (and failed) to fix the problem they say Germany now tells them the problem is due to a "known software problem" but there is no fix yet. Dealer says they are giving up fixing it for now and will wait till next year for the new software from BMW -- although they are not optimistic that will fix the problems.

Anyone else got these problems? Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I've got the '14 Nav on my car and have similar reverse directions, i.e. BC advising that I'll need to turn left ahead when it's actually right. This would be brutal in an unfamiliar City resulting in erratic (quick) lane changes so as not to miss a correct turn. The following video is an example when I was travelling straight along a highway which was to be followed by a right turn (off ramp). The BC shows that I need to turn left ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigster2 View Post
I took delivery of new, 2014 X3 with Navigation Package with BMW Apps in mid-October 2013. Immediately encountered multiple problems with the Nav Package:

1) System cannot even get me from the dealer's facility to my house even though house has been there 20 years. At key intersection, the system directs me to turn left where there is no left turn instead of saying to turn right (which is the correct direction).

...snip...
Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550xi
Angry 2013 Nav System Update - An Utter Failure

If anybody is interested in my experience with the nav system, here goes.

I drive a 2011 550xi. I had it custom-made and included many of the gizmos including the nav sys. I don't remember what edition the software was but I started experiencing problems shortly after. For instance, it couldn't find my house even though it was build in 2006, 5 years before. There were many other instances when it didn't work properly so I was really looking forward to getting an update since I blamed it all on the older software version.

Towards the end of 2012, when the 2013 update came out, I bought it from a dealer in Alexandria, VA, for the advertised price of $245. There were no other charges since it was a do-it-yourself install from a thumb-drive. The install was easy and perfectly smooth, no problems there. So there I was, very excited about the update with all the new category search choices and other improvements. Guess what, shortly after, I started experiencing problems that were very similar what I had before. It wouldn't find addresses, it would take you somewhere along most unusual routes irrespective of the route preferences you selected, and so on.

Just a couple of examples. You know how sometimes there is some degree of overlap between residential neighborhoods. I have a friend who lives in Bristow, VA, on Kinloss Mews. I dare you find that particular street in Bristow on your nav sys. However, if you look for it in Nokesville, which has some degree of overlap with Bristow, it'll find it immediately. On the other hand, like somebody else was saying, Google finds them both, so often times I use my Google Maps App while driving, instead of my expensive nav sys.

But forget my friend, he's just a guy, right? How about not being able to find something as big as a football stadium?! Try getting to FedEx Field in MD by entering it's official address of 1600 FedEx Way, Landover, MD. No can do. However, if you enter Hyattsville instead of Landover, there it is! Of course, Google Maps finds it either way.

Sorry for the long post but it's a lot of accumulated frustration. I'll never buy another nav update from BMW, that's for sure. And I don't recommend you do either. I think a company who praises itself for making the ultimate driving machine should do a lot better when it comes to its nav sys, especially considering the price they charge. And they should seriously ask themselves if a potential customer who's in the market for a luxury car and considers several options, decides to go with a competitor just because, all other things being relatively equal, their nav sys is not such a nuissance as the one from BMW.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigster2 View Post

2) Systems announces "guidance is limited" on way to dealer and also at the dealer. Seems to be lost. Dealer gets same problem even for other destinations they enter.

3) Cannot log in with My BMW Remote iPhone app. And BMW Assist has not idea why and says will take weeks to get back to me about it.

After 6 days in BMW dealer service shop where they tried (and failed) to fix the problem they say Germany now tells them the problem is due to a "known software problem" but there is no fix yet. Dealer says they are giving up fixing it for now and will wait till next year for the new software from BMW -- although they are not optimistic that will fix the problems.

I picked up my 14 M sport mid September and haven't found any issues with the Nav and the iPhone app works fine, although very limited in its use and the recent updates stink. I haven't used the Nav that extensively but so far, got me from A to B without any misguidance.

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I've had similar NAV problems giving wrong directions in multiple cites. I've complained twice to the dealer who takes it for a short drive and then denies there is a problem.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
In my case, I've uploaded a video onto Youtube... hard to deny that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBMWer View Post
I've had similar NAV problems giving wrong directions in multiple cites. I've complained twice to the dealer who takes it for a short drive and then denies there is a problem.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Complaints About 2014 NAV System

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
In my case, I've uploaded a video onto Youtube... hard to deny that.
Yep! If there is anything wrong with the car, I will take a pic or a video with my iPhone to show what is happening. Document everything! It's so easy to do now a days.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-31-2013, 04:23 AM

Is Dynamic Routing On or off?

For the folks having problems with their nav systems

1. For those where it cannot find an address - is Dynamic Routing on or off on your system?
2. For those where the system gives bad directions to an address - is Dynamic Routing on or off?

If Dynamic Routing is on, have you tried turning it off? Does it make a difference for you?

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
I wanted to share that the nav system isn't all bad in all cases. I just took a very long drive in my april build '14 x3 from Florida to Nebraska and back, with navigation guiding me 100% of the way. I did live searches for typical things like food, gas, rest stops, and plugged them into the route as I went. I had dynamic navigation on so it helped me with traffic. It even suggested a detour for me in St. Louis to get around a crash. It worked flawlessly. The one and only issue I found is that when there is a route in progress and one stops (bio break or food or something) and shuts off car, when you start back on your way, navigation is going without live traffic. I've noticed it takes awhile for nav to figure out it has to re-download it after shutting off. Stopping/restarting route fixes that. It doesn't affect things in a big way though unless there is traffic or road closures that the nav needs to get around.

I dont know if it helps but I've found that the nav will try to think for us humans to some extent, specifically when you navigate using contacts from your phone. If the street names are not precisely what the nav is expecting (it almost never is), it will "guess," and usually incorrectly. This is what I've seen that causes errors such as a wrong destination or funky route. I've had 100% success taking that same address and putting it in by hand via i-drive or (easier) sending it from google maps.

Now, if you have a post-july '13 build of X3 nav, then you have a newer version of i-drive that BMW says is more "american style" when it comes to entering/finding street data. This may make it better or worse, I dont know because I can't get that version of i-drive on my april build.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 AM

I have a 2012 X3 and I find the nav to be fine for the most part as for me it does what it needs to do. What I find to be less desirable is traffic and the way it is implemented. I don't find it very helpful and it always underestimates the delays. That being said, I still use it to at least give me an idea of the traffic conditions.

The one other issue I've had that I've mentioned before is there is this one exit that I take often - and for some reason, the screen and the voice are giving me different instructions. There is this exit that I take off a parkway, and when I exit, I have to take another right in the fork of the road about 1/4 mile down. The screen will show me this, telling me to exit, and then showing me that I have to take the right in the fork coming up. HOWEVER, the voice for some reason thinks I never exited and during this 1/4 mile stretch it's tell me to take the NEXT exit on the parkway - while the screen is showing me that I need to fork right. It's like as if the voice and the screen have their own separate nav apps with different logic. Very strange!!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:57 PM

I have an April build and was told I have the newer version of iDrive. What's different in the July build?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I have an April build and was told I have the newer version of iDrive. What's different in the July build?
Based on what I've been able to pick out from BMW literature online:

1 Siri hands free (and the samsung equivalent)
2 Android phone support with apps
3 Predictive Searching in nav (with help of google apparently)
4 US-style address entry, whatever that means
5 Weather overlays on nav map
6 Sat Radio Channel logos
7 Ability to select "avoid" areas in nav if it is a place you dont want to drive
8 Ipod control over bluetooth
9 Improved traffic icons in nav (this may already be in april version)
10 Visual volume indicator on screen popup when you change volume
11 BMW automatically sets clock itself (this may already be in april version)
12 improvement in voice commands to do regular things
Old 11-01-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
In April the X3 got more powerful hardware (Cpu, graphics, memory, hard drive)' called "NBT" (older version was "CIC"). Also new iDrive SW and new Nav SW. There are several posts in this forum with the details.

In July, the iDrive SW was again Updated and nave updated. There is a post in this forum about the updates. If I recall, it includes the ability to enter address in number, street, city, state order for the us market and one or two other things. Not super significant (at least to me), if I recall. Bmw has not made this avail via online upgrade to owners of '14 bmws made between April 1 and June 30, 2013. It is on my list to ask about when I bring it in for service at the first service interval.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
Based on what I've been able to pick out from BMW literature online:

1 Siri hands free (and the samsung equivalent)
2 Android phone support with apps
3 Predictive Searching in nav (with help of google apparently)
4 US-style address entry, whatever that means
5 Weather overlays on nav map
6 Sat Radio Channel logos
7 Ability to select "avoid" areas in nav if it is a place you dont want to drive
8 Ipod control over bluetooth
9 Improved traffic icons in nav (this may already be in april version)
10 Visual volume indicator on screen popup when you change volume
11 BMW automatically sets clock itself (this may already be in april version)
12 improvement in voice commands to do regular things
Can I correctly assume these changes require "2014" hardware and simply upgrading the firmware/map data will not be successful?

With the exception of three items, most of the changes listed above are not really important to me. I have always wanted to be able to see a current weather radar overlay on the map display. I also did not know the clock time was not already set from the GPS time which is as accurate as it gets. I had a 2009 Lexus that used GPS time for the dash clock so I just assumed BMW would have already done that. Also, since it serves no practical purpose, I do not know why but I would like to have a visual volume indicator.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Can I correctly assume these changes require "2014" hardware and simply upgrading the firmware/map data will not be successful?

With the exception of three items, most of the changes listed above are not really important to me. I have always wanted to be able to see a current weather radar overlay on the map display. I also did not know the clock time was not already set from the GPS time which is as accurate as it gets. I had a 2009 Lexus that used GPS time for the dash clock so I just assumed BMW would have already done that. Also, since it serves no practical purpose, I do not know why but I would like to have a visual volume indicator.
I agree about the weather display: it seems silly nobody has integrated a radar map over nav map yet, but I think this overlay is just current conditions, not a radar.

Based on what I've researched: if you have an NBT, it can take newer firmware. The difference that was introduced in july was deletion of a gyrosensor (it relies on the sensors in the body electronics now). BMW will NOT install this update, it is something you must do on your own, but I'm still working on the details on how to do do it with esys, risks involved, and backout procedures if I bork it up Definitely not something for the faint-of-heart.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I would say the BMW navi system's routing software is probably one of worst I had ever use. I have tried all the setting and know the system quite well. Sometimes the navi will take you on a long round about way. I have had instances of the navi taking me to the wrong address. Several times, it would take me off the highway just to get back on the same highway at the next exit. The point of interest database is also very small, I cannot find many stores or major venues in it. With that said, I did not buy a BMW for its navi system. Although the system is not the best, its acceptable and I like the intergration. If all we have to complain about is the navi system, BMW must doing something right
Old 11-01-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Yes. The Change in July was for cars with NBT. X3 built since 1 april 2013 have NBT. Cars built before have CIC. CIC is a whole different computer, etc.

There is a set of X3 vehicles built between 1 apr 2013 and 30 june 2013 who have V1 of the NBT SW and what Drewsky described are the ehancements offered in V2 of the NBT SW that was put on X3 vehicles with NBT hardware starting in July 2013. No changes to NBT HW were introduced in 1 July 2013 that I know of. It is expected that the X3 will get the new touchpad on top of the iDrive knob with start of production of the 2015 model in 1 April 2014. That also possibly implies ANOTHER update to the NBT SW at that point which may include additional SW features beyond those required to handle the new input device.

One of these days I'll go by my dealer and look ata post-JUly X3 and see what the diffs are in the iDrive SW. My car (April build) has 5, 9, 11, but there may be further enancements in those areas. I have updated my SW to 1.37. It came with 1.36

Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM

Anyone have the procedure for updating the iDrive?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
Complaints About 2014 NAV System

Please let us know how to update the software. Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app