Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-21-2013, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
BMW X5 Engine dies at the stop light

2001 BMW X5 3.0, 145K miles, generally runs good. Since last couple of weeks - when I leave home in the morning or work in the evening - it will die at the light or stop. Once engine is hot it won't happen again. I don't think it has anything to do with idling. I can be on stop sign for as long as I like and engine will continue to run, it's only when I try to move forward. No light lights up.

Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
No light lights up... you mean the check engine light is not on? Do you know anything about the maintenance history? Most air/fuel/ignition related issues will throw a code. If this were mine, I'd start with the basics; pull the air cleaner assy, inspect the filter and clean the MAF (mass air flow unit). Inspect the intake boots, especially the little bellows/elbow that connects the lower boot to the ICV (idle control valve).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Thanks for your reply!

No light lights up... you mean the check engine light is not on? That's correct. I was expecting some light to turn up just before engine dies.

Do you know anything about the maintenance history? Most air/fuel/ignition related issues will throw a code. If this were mine, I'd start with the basics; pull the air cleaner assy, inspect the filter and clean the MAF (mass air flow unit). Inspect the intake boots, especially the little bellows/elbow that connects the lower boot to the ICV (idle control valve).

I took it to a local mechanic last week. He didn't see any fault code. He suspected camshaft sensor malfunction but since there is no fault code he couldn't assure me that changing it will fix it or not.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:47 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Cam position sensors almost always throw a code; I suspect your problem is elsewhere.

As mentioned, I'd inspect and clean a bunch of the intake tract (see comments above; also clean the ICV with carb cleaner). Could also be a bad/worn DISA. At that mileage, it's almost certainly shot. The DISA is the small rectangular box hanging off the side of the intake manifold. It has a flap in it that routes the intake charge based on throttle position. The bell crank on the flap wears out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Hello Scott - Thanks for your suggestions. I have dropped off my X5 to the mechanic with your suggestions. By the way I noticed this morning that engine RPM was a bit erratic for first few minutes. It was fluctuating between 500 and 1000. Once it stabilized X5 just ran fine. I probably didn't notice before because I didn't wait for that long in the car. I expected RPM to stay at higher speed when engine is still cold especially nowadays as temperature is around 45 degrees in the morning.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: '04 X3/'03 X5/'00 528i
BMW X5 Engine dies at the stop light

I had a similar problem of random stalling on my '03 3.0i, 146k miles, no codes thrown, a few months ago. Changed fuel filter, added injector cleaner and did other trouble shooting but it would still happen. Then one day I shut car off and it would not start. AAA came and jumped it but it would not stay running. Turned out the alternator failed, no battery light on dash! After having car towed to my mechanic, replaced alternator and stalling problem went away.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-26-2014, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto:
My E53 did it last night at a stop sign, no warning just shut off. No codes either. It did it twice today but started right back up. The one thing I noticed was the MPH meter on decel would act funny. Instead of sweeping back towards the left it would bounce back and forth. Mine has a 115K on it. Any help would be great

Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: none
fuel pump?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 4.4i
did you ever get it figured out ?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto:
It hasn't done it since, but yesterday it threw a trans safe mode. Highway driving was fine but in town it shifts hard. Going to get it check in the morning and see if the battery and alternator are good as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: e38, e24, e53,porsche c4s
I had the same problem too. It would stall at a stop sign, I tried cleaning the ice but ended up replacing it. Now that issue is fixed, it sometimes stalls when coming to a stop or the worst was when I was turning left in traffic.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 04 x5 3.0d sport
Have 04 x5 3.0d-has had similar issues but on highway runs mainly.Only1 code when engine stopped(Fuel system injector...)didnt have time to read as was at 110k & looking to get off road.Restarted ok & no code.For remainder of 600k trip had surge problems off & on.Changed filter & problem seemed to go away-then has re appeared but random times.Old filter was 12mths old -cut open for inspection but no deposits.Have new pump on way & will consider relays also(behind dash & under bonnet).230k &no issues with excessive fuel use-have run injector cleaner.Last 7500k mixed town/highway has returned 28.7MPG-ANY THOUGHTS??

Running staggerd offset 19 s & thinking of a pair of rear wheels for the front(285/45/19 tyres on the large wheels.)has anyone tried this.Would be same F/R combo.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne
NSW AUSTRALIA