Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-22-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
X3 versus X5

I was looking to get an X5 for a couple of reasons. (Currently have a 3-series sedan.) The biggest reason is the more accessible/larger cargo area. (Need to accommodate a wheel chair.) The other is sitting up a little higher for ease of entry/exit. But in comparison its not so clear if an X3 would be a better option.

Was wondering if anyone have had both, or driven both, and have impressions to offer comparing the two?

I really like the interior options of the X-5 and the (likely) high power/mileage of the X5 35d. But the X3 seems like it has enough room and the 4-cylinder is powerful enough (based on reviews).

The X3 is cheaper. But it doesn't seem to have as high a quality interior. Also, I am wondering about seating 3 adults in the rear seat (enough shoulder room).

Any thoughts/input/comments would be welcome.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328 F25 X35, W209 AMG
go for the X5 for cargo, shoulder space, diesel and the new look.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
X3 versus X5

For around town the X3. For room, more travel and storage the X5. I view our X3 as a 4 seater (adult).

What will be your primary use for this vehicle?

I thought my wife wanted a 5 but we are strictly city driving and the 3 is a much better fit after driving both. More nimble, easier to park , etc. Family of 2 as well so a much better fit for our current use.

I didn't find the old X5 significantly better interior than the our MY14 X3 FWIW. I have yet to see the new one.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-22-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
X3 versus X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaRanger View Post
I was looking to get an X5 for a couple of reasons. (Currently have a 3-series sedan.) The biggest reason is the more accessible/larger cargo area. (Need to accommodate a wheel chair.) The other is sitting up a little higher for ease of entry/exit. But in comparison its not so clear if an X3 would be a better option.

Was wondering if anyone have had both, or driven both, and have impressions to offer comparing the two?

I really like the interior options of the X-5 and the (likely) high power/mileage of the X5 35d. But the X3 seems like it has enough room and the 4-cylinder is powerful enough (based on reviews).

The X3 is cheaper. But it doesn't seem to have as high a quality interior. Also, I am wondering about seating 3 adults in the rear seat (enough shoulder room).

Thanks
I had two x5's prior to my new ride. I would've gotten a new x5 but price too high

Very happy with new x3 and it wasn't cheAp . Msrp was 60 k but with Msport and. 35 engine it kicks ass

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Just for reference I had 3 teenage boys in the back of my X3 and they were squished like sardines. 4 people is perfect, but 5's a crowd.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Quote:

Thanks
I would prefer the X5 personally as we have a 55lb golden doodle that would probably prefer the extra room.. plus I'd like the diesel.

The X3 is surprisingly spacious, but unless it's 3 small adults, I don't think it's going to be comfortable. Though, I wouldn't want to go anywhere too far with 3 adults in the second row either.

If you need to haul a wheel chair, assuming it's collapsing you'll probably want the room afforded by the X5 if you're going to have anything else back there (groceries or whatever).

Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the responses. Looks like the X3 is a very comfortable 4 seater, with great performance, and is best for around town. While the X5 is good for long trips with more cargo. The X5 also has the option for luxury seats (also better for long trips). But there is a $15,000 price difference between the two models (for the options I want). This is going to take some thought.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
I have had both cars you mention. I owned a 2011 (post-LCI) X5d and now own a '13 X3 with the four cylinder engine. I had a love/hate relationship with my X5.

Loved about the X5
- roominess
- engine at highway speeds
- incredible ride with adaptive drive
- mileage (averaged 23 with quite a bit of city driving)

But hated:
- Felt like driving a Freightliner around town - sounded like one too (fwiw, I rented a European model in the summer and it definitely had better damping, I think they might be skimping on the US - spec car)
- Atrocious turning circle. Not sure you care, but if you do any city driving and parking in tight spaces it starts to matter.
- I did not like the sound of the diesel. It was simply not muffled enough for me.
- I hated the fact that it still had the 6-speed gearbox, really needs the 8 to be modern

So, I bought the X3:
Love:
- great for tooling around town.
- light and nimble steering
- great space inside (but 3 broad-shouldered adults in the rear would not enjoy a long trip - three kids ages 14-11-8, I speak from experience, are fine)
- The engine is absolutely amazing. It's hard to believe it's a four cylinder. Great mileage (also avg about 23). Agile, fun. Great.

Hate:
- Not much... the interior could be cushier, but it's not bad at all.

For me, the X5 was a 7/10, the X3 is 9.5/10. So - imho, if you drive around town much and you can fit into the X3 - that's the one to go with. Save the 15k.

Good luck!

JB
Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Don't limit yourself. Take a look at some others too. The VW T-egg is a "poor man's" Cayenne (in the diesel and base version) with an nice 8 speed tranny and great interior, the Audi Q7 has the room you need and also comes with a diesel as well. If you really need extra space then the domestics offer a very nice mini-van alternative in the GMC Acadia along with the other versions from Buick and Chevy. The Volvo XC90 is also a very interesting choice with plenty of room as well. Finally, just to say you did it -- go down and look at the Hyundai three row Santa Fe then at the very least you can say "how much better the X3/5 is than the others" -- or not. Finally back on topic, get the X5 you will appreciate the better interior and more room.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: F25
My experience with X5 is limited to riding as a passenger a couple times.

Reg. X3... I feel it's a good fit for someone looking for all the features of the 3-series sedan but with a higher seating position and a little extra cargo space. For all practical purposes, I would consider it a 4 seater. Don't forget the raised floor above the axle running through the middle of the rear seat. Any reasonably sized adult sitting in the middle rear seat would have to tuck their knees under their chin during the entire trip!

Surprised BMW couldn't emulate their Japanese competitors.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:

Thanks
I've driven the previous X5 (E70) several times. It had great hydraulic steering and felt very solid. But the car is heavy and you feel it. Didn't really seem it had much more space inside compared to X3. And it was just to expensive for us.

I did like the interior better than X3 mostly because I liked the X5 wood trims better.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
I've driven the previous X5 (E70) several times. It had great hydraulic steering and felt very solid. But the car is heavy and you feel it. Didn't really seem it had much more space inside compared to X3. And it was just to expensive for us.

I did like the interior better than X3 mostly because I liked the X5 wood trims better.
Definitely agree with you on the interior trim.

I assume the X5 no longer has hydraulic steering and has moved onto the electronic stuff that the new X3 has.

The steering isn't something I notice until I get back behind my 5-series. BMW has made electronic steering feel very good though.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Had a 2010 X5 3.0 for 2 months and then sold it. Great car to ride but has pros and cons -
Pros: nice ride, roomier and a bit higher seating, no (or very minimal) rear tunnel hump. space for spare tire
cons: heavy car feeling, steering felt unusually heavy, gas mileage was low and less punch with 3.0 engine

X3 35i has a very nimble ride, fantastic torque and HP (ofcourse unless you experience the HPFP failure !!!). I think it has a very good rear sitting space and 3 adults can sit - compare that to Q5 and I was disappointed (narrow seats with huge rear tunnel hump). Gas mileage is great and better electronics than 2010 X5. Wish it had spare tire and comfort access worked on all four doors. Overall i think it is best buy as I tried many luxury SUVs and it has all what I needed. All we needed is better reliability - atleast as good as Japs - now i must be dreaming.
In sum I would choose X3 over X5 but if you're not on a budget then it is another story
Old 10-24-2013, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
New model X5 just came out. Dealers have huge discounts on 2013's. My local dealer has tons of X5's they want to move. Great time to buy.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: F25
I would caution all forum followers to exercise their common-sense judgement when deciding which posts are real vs. posts by users with "vested interests" in BMW.

Last edited by x3x; 10-26-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Thanks again for the input.
Local dealer has several X5s and X3s. Went out and looked at them yesterday. My overall take:
- The interior of the X5 is superior, i.e., more luxurious. However, that is understandable considering the $15K price difference.
- The electronics in the 2 seem to be similar.
- The X5 has a space under the back for a full size spare tire, or other stuff if preferred. This is a plus, since my desire is to get rid of the run flats.
- The rear seat in the X3 has great leg and head room. However, it is too narrow for 3 adults. The floor hump in the middle makes this worse. The X3 is perfect for 4 adults.
- The front seats in both are comfortable and roomy.
- Both have the really big moon roof which is nice.
- The X3 exterior looks better. (But this is just opinion.)
I have not yet driven either one to see how they drive/ride. Waiting until the dealer has the right engines to test drive and compare. But based on the above comments, likely the X3 is sporty and the X5 is a comfy cruiser. My decision point between the two will be this December.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3x View Post
I would caution all forum followers to exercise their common-sense judgement when deciding which posts are real vs. posts by users with "vested interests" in BMW.
I hope this isn't directed towards me.

I'm a marketing executive for a software company that has no interests in the car industry, nor do I own any interest in BMW in any financial way. This is 100% a hobby for me.

People here have been very helpful to me in making my 2 BMW purchases in the last year. I believe in helping others since I've been helped.

Furthermore, I mostly disagree with these comments. There are some BMW salespeople and owners here, but having been a frequent reader of posts in the last year I've never gotten the sense that many are hiding behind their handle as a BMW hack. There's always going to be some exceptions.

My advice is if you are ever questioning someone's motivation for his posting, check his other postings and a pattern would appear. Easy to do conduct that search.

On a related note, some jackass from France living in NYC made some very insulting comments about Americans in a post. I looked up his profile and there were several other insulting comments about Americans. I called him out on his incredible cowardice and we've never had the displeasure of having to see any more comments from him.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 PM
warlord with a mom-mobile

Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 1997 C280 Sport
I've had my X3 for 9 months. Before that I had an X5.

Having now had lots of time and 10,000 miles in the X3, I'd say this:
- X3 is a very nice around-town vehicle, which, except for the run-flats and lack of spare tire, which I absolutely despise, is a very solid near-luxury vehicle I am happy and proud to own and drive
- But ... the build quality is rather mediocre. Thinly padded/insulated doors, etc. Honestly, I feel it is more comparable to a medium-end or entry-luxury Japanese car than a BMW. My X5 was hugely more solid. Everything on the X5 was solid, thick, bolted down, heavy, upscale, tight. Compared to the X5, the X3 seems tinny.
- That said, the solid, heavy, upscale feel of the X5 is not really necessary for scooting around town or even taking long trips. The X3 has transported me and wife to numerous locations 400-500 miles from home, and we've been comfortable and happy doing so.
- I think the X3 is probably the rational choice for 2 people or 2 people and a kid/dog. More than that, I'd go with the X5.
- the X3 drives a little better -- it's a bit sportier and less ponderous than the X5.

If I could afford a new '14 loaded X5 I'd certainly take it over the X3, but for the $, I think the X3 is a good purchase. With a caveat, that the lack of a spare tire, forcing dependency on the run flats SUCKS. Already had a nail, and it cost me $500. I really hate that.

Retired: 2005 X5 4.4i ... 2002 540i ... 1999 M3 ... 1997 328i ... 1988 535i
Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Diesel!

I really wish the X3 had the diesel to compete with the Q5 diesel & GLK diesel. This is one area where the X3 is outclassed by the competition.

IMHO the diesel option is something to consider if you do go with the X5.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
.... Everything on the X5 was solid, thick, bolted down, heavy, upscale, tight. Compared to the X5, the X3 seems tinny......
One man's meat is another man's poison.......

I came very close to purchasing an X5, however the pervasive feeling of truck-like weight that pervades the X5 cancelled the fun factor. I never held the X3 in high regard but I had an epiphany after I drove the X3 3.5. My X3 M Sport 3.5 is fast, fun, and comfy. My X3 possesses a lissome nature that conveys a purposeful competent athleticism. I never tire of the vehicle and I regard it as not only the BMW of SUVs/SAVs but one of the best BMWs I have owned.