Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i; 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlakeoh1 View Post
Just went to the Stealer to pick up the car and it wouldn't even start. Had to jump it myself and all kinds of new codes came up from Transmission fault to airbag failure. Stealer said my one week old new H8 battery was no good. I took the battery out and returned to Autozone and got a replacement. put the new battery in and all the faults are there and the car will not go into gear. what a f...ing mess.
I ended up towing my car home from the Dealer, the one I DROVE to the Dealer just days earlier. I only had the dealer do a diagnostic test and now I have a whole new slew of fault codes I didn't have before the dealer tested it. The dealer's plan of attack was to replace three mods at a cost of $3500 and then see where the remaining 4 amp voltage drop was coming from. Now I have a $13,000 paper weight.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: car
Hey bud,

have you ever figure out what's wrong with your car??

hope all is well
Old 11-23-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baro1220 View Post
Hey bud,

have you ever figure out what's wrong with your car??

hope all is well
NO. Ganley BMW actually towed the car back to the dealership over 9 days ago as expressed my dissatisfaction that I was able to drive the car there but had to tow it home. I just want them to get the car to go forward and backward like it was when I originally brought there. I have not heard a thing.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Hello westlakeoh1, just wondering if you have your car running already
Old 11-24-2013, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2004-525 I
No one mentioned REGISTERING the battery

What about registering the new battery at the stealership as it supposed to be the golden rule about these cars? (which is so STUPID anyway) German engineering? LMAO!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Maxx View Post
What about registering the new battery at the stealership as it supposed to be the golden rule about these cars? (which is so STUPID anyway) German engineering? LMAO!
the dealer said they couldn't register the battery because it wasn't a "BMW" battery even though it is one of the batteries listed on "end all battery replacements" post on this forum. Battery registration though is the least of my worries at this point. The Dealership says they cannot find the source of the 7 amp voltage drop that is killing my battery.

Originally I drove my car to the dealership a month ago to have a diagnostic test to determine the source of the voltage drop. I paid them $140 for the test only to find out they couldn't determine the source...and I had to tow my car home as it had a bunch of new faults when I went to pick it up. The service manager towed it back two weeks ago to at least make it drivable...have not heard from them since.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2004-525 I
Quote:
the dealer said they couldn't register the battery because it wasn't a "BMW" battery even though it is one of the batteries listed on "end all battery replacements" post on this forum. Battery registration though is the least of my worries at this point. The Dealership says they cannot find the source of the 7 amp voltage drop that is killing my battery.

Originally I drove my car to the dealership a month ago to have a diagnostic test to determine the source of the voltage drop. I paid them $140 for the test only to find out they couldn't determine the source...and I had to tow my car home as it had a bunch of new faults when I went to pick it up. The service manager towed it back two weeks ago to at least make it drivable...have not heard from them since.

I took a brand new NAPA battery (wet/lead acid) to the BMW dealer and they installed it for me & registered the battery to the computer system ($188.00) It even stated on my RO/WO "customer supplied new battery for replacement". They never said a "peep" as they took my money (LoL)
Old 11-28-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I took a brand new NAPA battery (wet/lead acid) to the BMW dealer and they installed it for me & registered the battery to the computer system ($188.00) It even stated on my RO/WO "customer supplied new battery for replacement". They never said a "peep" as they took my money (LoL)
nice.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Quote:
LOL on you because they made about $140 off of you for 15 minutes work.

I would have taken it to an indy who would have charged you maybe 50 bucks for registering the battery. I know because my total cost OTD last month for an Advanced Auto battery + registration at an indy cost $184.95.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 740
battery drain

I am also in the process of determining cause of my battery drain on 04 525....

So far my drain is at around 10ma (10 milliamps=.010 amps) a few minutes after the car is off. You have to wait a while to get the correct value. But I believe I have it narrowed down to a harness so hopefully soon I can find the exact module or sensor causing the drain. I pretty sure the drain should be in the low single digit milliamps.

I have read about some kind of door sensors "waking up" the car periodically. But I have sat around for hours waiting to hear it wake up but it doesn't. It just steady pulls 10ma.

I KNOW one thing for sure- THE ORANGE SHIFTER INDICATOR LIGHT STAYS ON THE WHOLE TIME. So the drain revolves around that circuit.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:20 PM

finding the voltage drop issue is proving to be very frustrating and frankly, hopeless. I just picked up my car from the dealer today as they replaced for free a SMG sensor that had gone bad when they did the diagnostic test from 4 weeks ago. As I mentioned earlier the dealer wanted $3500 to replace three modules that drew some voltage but left unaccounted the 6 other amps that are dropping. I'll probably take to a well respected indy in near future but for now, I'm garaging this car.

The dealer service manager told me the 545 and some of the other 2004 - 2008 V8s have proven to have a ton of issues electric and mechanical.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: car
There is a spot in Parma called Europa auto care
that work on Bmw only. Very reasonable prices.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Well finally got the battery drain issue fixed. I took the car to a very respected Indy after a not so pleasurable experience at the Dealer. The main drain was the IBS which was faulty and not letting the other modules go to sleep. The Dealer did mention the IBS as an issue but also wanted to replace other modules they said were draining voltage. Dealer also said my new battery needed to be replaced with a BMW battery...Indy was able to program the new battery. Also had two oil leaks fixed as well, Oil Pan and Oil Cooler gasket that sits behind Alternator Bracket.

Appreciate everyone that replied to this post.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Well finally got the battery drain issue fixed. I took the car to a very respected Indy after a not so pleasurable experience at the Dealer. The main drain was the IBS which was faulty and not letting the other modules go to sleep. The Dealer did mention the IBS as an issue but also wanted to replace other modules they said were draining voltage. Dealer also said my new battery needed to be replaced with a BMW battery...Indy was able to program the new battery. Also had two oil leaks fixed as well, Oil Pan and Oil Cooler gasket that sits behind Alternator Bracket.

Appreciate everyone that replied to this post.
That was the original educated guess in post #2, however your situation was complicated by a failing battery and an inept $tealer.

Unless a very methodical approach is used to eliminate potential causes the real failure can be painfully long and expensive to discover.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
That was the original educated guess in post #2, however your situation was complicated by a failing battery and an inept $tealer.

Unless a very methodical approach is used to eliminate potential causes the real failure can be painfully long and expensive to discover.
You're absolutely right. I considered replacing the IBS myself as it is very easy to do though I didn't want to get into the process of throwing parts at a problem which is why I went to the Stealer in the first place to have a diagnostic test done. I'm pretty handy mechanically but anything electrical really presents a challenge. The stealer's diagnostic report really complicated things as they were telling me mods needed to be replaced along with the IBS and that these repairs ($3k+) still wouldn't fix the drain problem. The particular Indy I used is highly regarded and gets to the root of of a problem quickly though he does charge dealer pricing on similar repairs. I guess the bottom line is I need to become more familiar & comfortable with testing software so I can do more of these repairs/programming myself.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I considered replacing the IBS myself as it is very easy to do though I didn't want to get into the process of throwing parts at a problem which is why I went to the Stealer in the first place to have a diagnostic test done. I'm pretty handy mechanically but anything electrical really presents a challenge. The stealer's diagnostic report really complicated things as they were telling me mods needed to be replaced along with the IBS and that these repairs ($3k+) still wouldn't fix the drain problem. The particular Indy I used is highly regarded and gets to the root of of a problem quickly though he does charge dealer pricing on similar repairs. I guess the bottom line is I need to become more familiar & comfortable with testing software so I can do more of these repairs/programming myself.
With so many inept and cheating $tealers around a good Indy is worth his weight in gold.

When I drove Porsches and lived in Chicago I went to a guy that was sometimes as much as 20% more than Porsche dealer pricing. But Manny was literally so good that when a dealer in the area would get stuck on a problem they would call him. He was invited to wrench for the Porsche factory race team when they would visit Wisconsin (Road America) and Ohio (Mid-Ohio). He fixed what was needed correctly the first time and nothing else.

Stay in your Indy's good graces for the hard to diagnose issues!