Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Don Nguyen | E90/E92/E93 - Official vinyl wrapping pictures thread

This thread is dedicated to specifically E90/E92/E93s that I have vinyl wrapped. Most of what you're going to see done are typically roofs, chrome window trim being blacked out, and tinting tail lights. I also do other vinyl work on/for these cars, which I will also post.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to post here or PM me directly for answers. If I get enough of a certain question via PM/e-mail, I'll post it on here for everyone to know/see.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Regional Sponsor

This is a car I did on my most recent trip up to norcal / Bay Area to do vinyl wrapping. I liked this car, because it was a unique color and different from the black or white cars that I am usually working on, so it's a nice change of pace. I believe it was a BMW E90 330i or 328i sedan, and I don't know the exact name of the color of this car, but it was almost greenish/silverish/blueish in different lightings. For this car, we went with the matte black vinyl for his window trim over the gloss black to match the rubber around the window trim and his B pillars, which were also matte black already. I think the final results turned out great. Everything is done seamlessly without any awkward seam lines in random places and everything gets tucked in underneath the weather stripping.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Regional Sponsor

This is another old customer of mine that is had me do some vinyl work on his new car. I typically do not make house calls, but being that he was an old customer and also lived down the street from me in Irvine/Orange County, I made an exception. For his white E92 328i coupe, he had me vinyl wrap the roof of his car in my gloss black vinyl material and also black out the chrome/brushed aluminum window trimmings in gloss black as well to give it the shadow line look that's offered from the factory for BMW. The car was brand new and stock, but these two changes and modifications to the car really changed the look of the car without making it look out of place or too modified.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Fest Wrks

Mein Auto: 07 335i coupe
Just a quick question for you, do you have customers complain about side mirrors vinyl peel or damage due to debris? Not that it's you or your companies fault just curious for if I ever decide to get mine done.
Thank
-e
Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV
Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Regional Sponsor

I do not see how mirrors are affected any differently from any other part of the car (IE front bumper, splitters, etc). It is definitely possible for debris to damage vinyl if it hits it hard enough, just like it would paint.

-Don
Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeNun View Post
Just a quick question for you, do you have customers complain about side mirrors vinyl peel or damage due to debris? Not that it's you or your companies fault just curious for if I ever decide to get mine done.
Thank
-e
If the installer knows what he is doing, there is little chance of the vinyl peeling.

There are little tricks for wrapping the mirrors you can only gain from experience.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Regional Sponsor

I know this is not on a BMW and I hope you guys can excuse me posting pictures of a Subaru in this section of the forum, but it's not often that I can show you guys how one of my vinyl wraps looks like and has held up after being on a car for 4 years.

This was one of the first cars that I did when 3M came out with the di-noc matte carbon fiber finish, which was about 4 years ago. The owner of this silver Subaru WRX STI came by to have me re-wrap his roof with the same 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl material. I took some close ups of the before to show you guys how the material looks like and holds up over time. The carbon fiber weave and all of the details are there, but it had started to lose some of its luster, which was why the owner of this car came back to have me redo the roof for him.

In the pictures with the vinyl removed, that was how the paint looked like right after removal and no or very minimal clean up was done at that point. I took pictures of the paint/roof right after the vinyl was removed to show you guys what the condition of the paint looks like that has had vinyl installed on a roof for roughly 4 years, which is probably going to be longer than most own people own their cars.

The lighting wasn't very good, since it was overcast that day, so I did my best to try and take some pictures to show you guys how the old material looks like compared to the new material. Hopefully you guys are able to see the details and differences in the up close pictures.

Before w/ old vinyl:

Old vinyl removed:

After w/ new vinyl installed:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Regional Sponsor

Here's pictures of one of the cars that I did on one of my norcal vinyl wrapping trips up to the bay/San Jose area. I make these trips once or twice a year, depending on how my schedule is like down here in socal/orange county. The owner of this white BMW E92 335i coupe had me vinyl wrap the roof of his car in my gloss black vinyl material and also lightly tint/smoke his tail lights as well. He opted to not have the side roof rails wrapped, so these pictures will help those who were thinking about if they should get their rails wrapped or not.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-11-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Re: Don Nguyen | E90/E92/E93 - Official vinyl wrapping pictures thread

That is something im deciding too but its not because I may use a rack but someone told me if you include the rack part, it will peel off or bubble up soon because of those spaces. Is that true? When u include the rack, do u do it in a separate piece or the whole roof is on piece covering the rack part?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Regional Sponsor

No, that is not true about it peeling. I do them separately.

-Don
Old 11-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Don Nguyen | E90/E92/E93 - Official vinyl wrapping pictures thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplescenter View Post
That is something im deciding too but its not because I may use a rack but someone told me if you include the rack part, it will peel off or bubble up soon because of those spaces. Is that true? When u include the rack, do u do it in a separate piece or the whole roof is on piece covering the rack part?

I did the tracks on each side of the roof myself and it came out just fine. I chose to cover the flaps and leave it uncut and although there is an indentation, it's minimal. No peeling so far.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Re: Don Nguyen | E90/E92/E93 - Official vinyl wrapping pictures thread

Thanks for clearing that up. And good to know the rack piece is on a separate sheet. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Regional Sponsor

I took a lot of pictures of this white BMW E90 335i sedan when I wrapped it. The owner of this car wanted me to wrap his roof in the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber vinyl material. I also did the top portion of his bumper where it meets with the splitter, to try and give it a continuous look. It was a bit overcast the day I did this car, so it's actually a bit hard to tell that the film was actually the gloss carbon finish and not the dinoc matte carbon fiber finish. The rear trunk spoiler is also real cf in addition to the front splitter, so you guys can sort of get an idea of how real cf and the carbon fiber material I am using compares up next to each other. The owner of tho car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the vinyl work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Regional Sponsor

Another car that I did while up in norcal / Bay Area. The owner of this red BMW E90 325i sedan had me vinyl wrap his roof in the 3m di-noc matte carbon fiber material. After doing the roof, he decided to have me also lightly tint / smoke his tail lights. Took some pictures of the tail lights inside and also outside to give you an idea of how it looks in different lighting conditions. Everything is custom cut / trimmed to the car, to make sure fitment is perfect and covers the whole / full area unlike pre cut pieces, which usually end up being a bit short around the edges.

Before:

Driver side (left) stock - Passenger side (right) tinted / smoked:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 12-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Regional Sponsor

Here is a white BMW E93 M3 convertible that I vinyl wrapped the chrome window trim to give it the shadowline/blacked out look. Convertibles are a bit more tedious to do since there are so many separate pieces, but it's doable. We went with the matte black to give it a more subtle look and blend in with the rubber weather pieces that are around the window trim pieces. I believe the owner of this car was either around in Orange County or near the Los Angeles area and he came out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the vinyl work done. It was a pretty new car. Still had the red striped Euro plate on it.

Before:

After:

-Don

Donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Happy to be nappy!

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Convertible
Excellent work! Thanks for sharing.

I have a 2007 Monaco Blue 335i convertible. I must wrap the chrome trim and I'd like your advice. I'd come to you if I could. I'm concerned about aesthetics and durability.

1. Given the amount of rubber around the trim, do you definitely think the vinyl should be matte? I prefer gloss (along with a gloss black grille).
2. When the top is up, the back of the roof sits on a huge chrome piece that will be vinyl. How will it hold up with the roof sitting on it?
3. I imagine I'll touch the trim along the top of the door all of the time. How will it hold up to my hands touching it or my arm resting on it while I drive?
4. How much should I expect to pay out here in North Florida.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:55 AM
Regional Sponsor

1 - That is preference.
2 - Yes, that is fine
3 - I doubt that the amount of time you're touching the top trim will be very much, so you should be fine
4 - I don't know
Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Happy to be nappy!

Thanks! Your photos have inspired me. I'm definitely getting it done.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Regional Sponsor

I get a lot of requests for pictures of interiors, so here was a BMW E90 335 sedan that I wrapped over the factory wood interior with the 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl finish. I don't typically get a chance to take pictures of the installed/finish product in the car, because most people's interiors that I do are non-local and they just ship me their interior pieces for me to wrap.

However, the owner of this car was local to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County and came by to have me remove his interior trim pieces and also wrap them. Overall the results turned out fantastic and the owner of this car was extremely happy with the results. The cool thing about the dinoc finish is that it has a good feel and texture to it as well, so it doesn't make the wrapped pieces feel cheap or weird in any way.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Happy to be nappy!

Sweeeeeet.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
I love the look of carbon fiber, but I kind of like my aluminum look too. If I had wood I would definitely get it wrapped.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
I love the look of carbon fiber, but I kind of like my aluminum look too. If I had wood I would definitely get it wrapped.

I wonder....can I get a Snakeskin Wrap?

Old 04-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Happy to be nappy!

That would go perfect with the saddle brown leather interior!

Old 04-26-2014, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I wonder....can I get a Snakeskin Wrap?

http://www.auto-vinylwrap.com/china-...m-1184089.html

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.