Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550
Replacement Remote FOB Key

Seriously?? Close to $300 for a replacement (including a cut key) PLUS another $120-140 labor for comfort access programming?? This is beyond frustrating....
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Ads by Google
Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
You may be able to do better on-line for the fob and the key. I do not remember if they gave me the key codes when I bought mine, but you should, as the owner, be able to get it from the dealer. Some locksmiths have the equipment to cut a key with those codes...I'm not sure how easy it is to duplicate the key from an original one. Using the codes is the better way, but it's not like the thing is worn out! I've only used mine once when the battery was low to get the door open - it has no wear on it at all.

I do not know the procedure to program the car to accept it...you may want to research that on say the F10 forum, where there are more cars and people. I do know that there is a limit on how many fobs the computer can remember, but that should not be an issue. Also, if you don't have an original, working one, you cannot program in a new one! In that case, it becomes MUCH more expensive, since the computer needs to be replaced (at the tune of maybe $1,000).
Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM

I have one of the original fobs. The cost to cut the metal key is only $37 from dealer. I am hesitant to buy a fob over the internet for fear that it cant be programmed for CA or otherwise wont work. I ll have saved maybe $100 and then wont be able to return it.
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Why is the FOB so fat?

I'd pay $300 for a smaller FOB. I remember an add (Merc??) talking about packing the FOB electronics in a credit card sized case that you could keep in your wallet. That would be cool.

FWIW
DLM
Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 AM

There are some BMW dealers that offer discounts over the web...those, as opposed to some independent, unaffiliated vendor should be safe. THen, you have your CC company's help.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:02 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
Don't get the fob on the internetz, it's useless. F-series cars fobs have to be coded to the car from the factory..Unlike older cars where the car could learn the fob. My dealer asked $500 for a replacement key... don't know if that includes comfort access programming...
Old 10-26-2013, 01:13 PM

After a little research (makes one dangerous, I know), it appears from the factory, a car with comfort access can only support two FOBs. It can be modified to support additional ones (up to a total of four), but it is a hardware mod to the vehicle. If you don't care about the comfort access, the car can store and remember more FOBs than that two. They can open the doors, start the car, etc., but won't activate the comfort access functions - you have to press buttons on the remote. I found that discussion on the F01 forum, which is the basis of the guts to our F07. Now, whether it is correct, I have no way to verify except by talking to a knowledgeable service rep, which I've not done - you should.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:19 PM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
I don't feel so bad about having to change the battery in the damn thing every 10 months or so.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 PM

FWIW, my dealer will change it for free. Mine seem to last a couple of years, though.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
After a little research (makes one dangerous, I know), it appears from the factory, a car with comfort access can only support two FOBs. It can be modified to support additional ones (up to a total of four), but it is a hardware mod to the vehicle. If you don't care about the comfort access, the car can store and remember more FOBs than that two. They can open the doors, start the car, etc., but won't activate the comfort access functions - you have to press buttons on the remote. I found that discussion on the F01 forum, which is the basis of the guts to our F07. Now, whether it is correct, I have no way to verify except by talking to a knowledgeable service rep, which I've not done - you should.
Thank you for this info. Very helpful. If we just wanted to keep a spare, would it make sense (is it even possible) to just get the cheaper non comfort access key?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT

Earlier this year, I changed the batteries on both my fobs to confirm that a failure of my GT to respond to either one of them was a vehicle problem. The receiver was replaced under warranty and they gave me new fobs as well as they did not like the intermittent nature
of their operation.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
Earlier this year, I changed the batteries on both my fobs to confirm that a failure of my GT to respond to either one of them was a vehicle problem. The receiver was replaced under warranty and they gave me new fobs as well as they did not like the intermittent nature
of their operation.

hmmm...i'll track how long between changes.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I actually ordered a spare comfort access fob without knowing that there was a supposed limit of two fobs per car. To my surprise, I took the 3rd key to the car today and it behaves the same way as our two first fobs. keyless entry, I can start the car without removing the fob from my pocket. Not sure what else is necessary to prove that comfort access works on my 3rd fob, but I'm pretty convinced that it does.

The only thing the guy at the dealership had to do when they gave me my 3rd fob was to hold it up against the steering column so that the car could learn this key. I wonder if that's all that's needed for the service guy to "program the comfort access" feature from the fob to the car and dealerships are charging an extra $150-200 for this simple exercise. I guess it does take time away from the service guy to do that, which prevents them from working on other cars...but seems like a simple enough thing that they could just tell the driver to do.

In any case, I seem to have 3 working comfort access fobs for my 2012 F07.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:33 PM

Well, so much for believing what others have posted! I'm glad it worked for you. I'm down to one fob...cannot find the other, and had been dreading buying another at the cost. Need to take one more really good look around, then decide. This could just be a running change between model years, or some other change, so your results may not represent that of others. It's hard to get good info some times, even from a dealer.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT

jad, you just know that if you do buy a new fob, within a week or so later, you will find the misplaced one. Life is like that.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
I have found that you can save hundred of dollars on parts purchases by shopping around. The online store I use is actually a BMW store in Ohio. I have learned to be patient with our beloved GT for all of her idiosyncrasies. If you do not have time to shop then do what you must. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryninja View Post
I actually ordered a spare comfort access fob without knowing that there was a supposed limit of two fobs per car. To my surprise, I took the 3rd key to the car today and it behaves the same way as our two first fobs. keyless entry, I can start the car without removing the fob from my pocket. Not sure what else is necessary to prove that comfort access works on my 3rd fob, but I'm pretty convinced that it does.

The only thing the guy at the dealership had to do when they gave me my 3rd fob was to hold it up against the steering column so that the car could learn this key. I wonder if that's all that's needed for the service guy to "program the comfort access" feature from the fob to the car and dealerships are charging an extra $150-200 for this simple exercise. I guess it does take time away from the service guy to do that, which prevents them from working on other cars...but seems like a simple enough thing that they could just tell the driver to do.

This seems to run contrary to everything I have read on this forum and others....hmmm. Maybe I will buy a replacement fob and try this BEFORE paying the dealer the 1 hour labor charge to program...nothing to lose really....
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryninja View Post

I think for CA to be "active" the new key needs to reset the seat/mirror and climate controls back to setting "1" or "2".....with only 2 memory settings, you can technically only have 2 FOBS....I m curious if it is a mirror to fob 1 or fob 2...or neither.....perhaps it just leaves the last settings in the car.....
Old 11-28-2013, 12:48 AM

rogueshot is correct. The car will only store up to 2 memory settings. After using the 3rd key to confirm that comfort access will work with my third (spare) key, and it wasn't my first or my wife's key that was unlocking and allowing the car to start, I went back to try using my 1st key...the memory settings: seat position, nav settings, shortcut buttons all went back to a factory default. Although the car recognized the key to allow me to enter the car and start the car, any settings unique to what I had setup were gone. So it seems, through anecdotal evidence, that the car can remember at least 3 keys...but it will only store a profile for the last two keys used. I think this is fine, since I will go back to using my original key and put away the 3rd key for it's main purpose...the spare.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Retired, Independent Cons

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535I GT M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueshot View Post
Seriously?? Close to $300 for a replacement (including a cut key) PLUS another $120-140 labor for comfort access programming?? This is beyond frustrating....
I know this is not going to be much help. But when I did a BMW vin check, using my list 7 numbers, I saw a radio frequency code. Then call a lock smith with the information. Here is the link I used, which was provided by another forum member.
http://www.bmwarchive.org/

Good Luck and I do hope this will be of help to you....
Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLH535I View Post
I know this is not going to be much help. But when I did a BMW vin check, using my list 7 numbers, I saw a radio frequency code. Then call a lock smith with the information. Here is the link I used, which was provided by another forum member.
http://www.bmwarchive.org/

Good Luck and I do hope this will be of help to you....
Did you try this? Or are you just speculating? I am not inclined to pick up a used remote for upwards of $200 only to find out it is useless. Based on all I have read there is little choice but to order a new remote from BMW. If you want CA, you have to pay the programming labor charge. I suspect based on the post above the new remote could be minimally "coded" as noted in the post above without paying for CA programming....given that I need a 2d remote (not a spare 3rd), I m going to bite the bullet and do it right....seems silly to be shortsighted over a couple hundred bucks....my wife and I each want our own CA key....
Old 01-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
ANY updates on this. I just purchased a replacement used FOB from ebay. I held it to the steering column and tried to program it by pressing the start button with the other key in the car. It did not work. I am not sure if the remote has to be a virgin remote to become programmed by this method. I guess I can ask the dealer to program it. I was hoping it would be easy to reprogram it, guess not. Anyone else have better luck?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM

I purchased a new fob from dealer for about $275 with BMW CCA DISCOUNT. I held it to the steering column and it works fine except that I don't have CA features active with that remote. I m thinking next service visit that I will complain about my remotes CA features are not working correctly and see if they reprogram them under warranty.... I really don't want to pay $125 to program the new remote....ridiculous!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:35 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
I searched about this on bimmerfest and found the following on this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=711628

07-30-2013, 08:31 PM
JDB46

Mein Auto: E90
View My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS
I just purchased a 2011 CPO X3. Although the dealer knew one of the two key fobs was missing for almost four weeks before I closed on the car, they did nothing. Nevertheless, they finally sent me a new key fob (I live 250 miles from the dealer).

There was a lot of confusion about how to activate / program the new key fob. The dealership I bought the car from had no clue at all (BMW of Morristown, NJ) and offered no help - the salesman lost all apparent interest after I bought the car. I called a number of other BMW dealers and received a lot of conflicting advice ranging from make an appointment and we charge 1/2 to one hour of labor, to, you can easily do it yourself but we don't know how. After finally receiving the new key fob, I called the local BMW dealer (Burdick - Syracuse, NY) to make an appointment. Instead of just making an appointment, the service advisor put me on hold and went to some effort to find out if an appointment was really needed. This is what the she accurately told me.

Simply take the new key fob and hold it against the marked spot on the right side of the steering column and then start the car (obviously a working key fob is needed). That's all it took to activate the new fob. In fact, the Nav screen immediately popped up with a request to name the profile associated with the new key fob.

Since there was so much confusion I thought I would at least post something that is searchable in case anyone else needs to do this in the future.
I picked up my 2013 X3 this month at Tenafly BMW and was also Missing a Key. They ordered it and when I came in even the SALESMAN knew that. Those were the exact instructions he gave me. I have CA so for good measure I opened the car via the handle. Then walked the current key a reasonable distance away from the car. Then did exactly what you mentioned above, hold the key up against the steering column and turned the car on then off. And to test it I got out and locked and unlocked the car. Amazes me that some dealerships don't train their people.
Last edited by JDB46; 07-30-2013 at 08:32 PM.

So it seems it can be done as long as the FOB is "virgin", actually it appears the FOB must be programmed to match the VIN more so than being virgin.

Last edited by daders; 01-29-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
I wonder if the dealer will reprogram a used remote? I was hoping I could luck out and reprogram a used one myself, guess it sounded too good to be true