Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 323i
Need opinions on % of window tinting

Hey guys, this is my first post, so excuse any errors I make.

Well, I currently own a space grey e90 sedan, and I'm planning to get it tinted.
I have several options for the % of tinting choices, however i'm not too sure which one will look the best, while not impairing my vision on the road

I'm going to be using Llumar CTX film; and here are my options

CTX 15 - 17%
CTX 30 - 31%
CTX 40 - 43%
CTX 50 - 58%

I've been debating over 17% and 31%, and 58% for my windshield. I don't want to do 17/31 as imo I think having the two tints will make it look awkward.

I'll post a picture of my car to help out.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hygftydrt.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	403770  
Ads by Google
Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronD View Post

Well, I currently own a space grey e90 sedan, and I'm planning to get it tinted.
I have several options for the % of tinting choices, however i'm not too sure which one will look the best, while not impairing my vision on the road

CTX 15 - 17%
CTX 30 - 31%
CTX 40 - 43%
CTX 50 - 58%

I've been debating over 17% and 31%, and 58% for my windshield. I don't want to do 17/31 as imo I think having the two tints will make it look awkward.

Thanks in advance.
Brampton,The greater Toronto area,Ontario,yes?Kind of sunny and when it snows even brighter.Well what does the law allow,if you can I would go with the 31% and 58% for winshield,but kinda dark at night.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM

There is no exact legal limit I believe, its all opinionated. Basically, as long as the police can see you through the driver side window + the seatbelt then I should be fine. But then again, when officers are under quota they might to give me a ticket.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Quote:
There is no exact legal limit I believe, its all opinionated. Basically, as long as the police can see you through the driver side window + the seatbelt then I should be fine. But then again, when officers are under quota they might to give me a ticket.
I travel between North Carolina and New York,never got stopped in NY but I did in NC,showed the Cop my badge and that was that,I guess if all else is in order you should be ok but why risk a ticket,fine and removal of your film,peace.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Jersey Born 'nd Raised

Mein Auto: 2011 328i X-Drive
Go with 31%. Its different here in the states but I have 35% on all my windows. It actually looks darker because of my black interior.

2011 328xi Sedan --- Titanium Silver (Ext.) Black (Int.) --- Fully Loaded
Old 10-24-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGjersey View Post
Go with 31%. Its different here in the states but I have 35% on all my windows. It actually looks darker because of my black interior.
Thanks, do you have any side view pictures of your car?

Because my friend has a 38% tint, and it looks too light for my liking.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Jersey Born 'nd Raised

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382640118.626744.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	403788

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Jersey Born 'nd Raised

Hope that helps!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Fest Wërks

Mein Auto: 07 335i coupe
I attached two images of my car with tint, I have 35% in the front and 15% in the rear. I like the way to two different shades look. On the picture of my car's driver side you can see the front is just so that you can see in, but you don't get much detail (I know the image looks weird, I was getting adjusted to my camera's setting when I took it, but it shows off the tint that's why I choose it) . The second image shows how dark the rear is, you can barely make out anything. I don't know if it helps you but its how I got mine done. good luck
-e
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5414.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	403789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5418.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	403790  
Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV

Last edited by TheyCallMeNun; 10-24-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGjersey View Post
Attachment 403788

Thanks buddy, and your car looks really clean, the tint really compliments the silver. I might go with 31%
Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeNun View Post
I attached two images of my car with tint, I have 35% in the front and 15% in the rear. I like the way to two different shades look. On the picture of my car's driver side you can see the front is just so that you can see in, but you don't get much detail (I know the image looks weird, I was getting adjusted to my camera's setting when I took it, but it shows off the tint that's why I choose it) . The second image shows how dark the rear is, you can barely make out anything. I don't know if it helps you but its how I got mine done. good luck
-e
Yea, the two shades of tint looks amazing on your coupe, but on my sedan, I don't think it'll look pretty weird compared to a white shade tint. But thanks for showing me the 15% tint as well, Is it hard to see when you check your blind spot at night and stuff?
Old 10-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Jersey Born 'nd Raised

Good choice!!!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Fest Wërks

Quote:
Yea, the two shades of tint looks amazing on your coupe, but on my sedan, I don't think it'll look pretty weird compared to a white shade tint. But thanks for showing me the 15% tint as well, Is it hard to see when you check your blind spot at night and stuff?
Ive seen it on a sedan, my buddy has it done. still looks good. I mean its your choice in the long run and its what you like. like I said before good luck, hope you make the right decision
Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:

CTX 15 - 17%
CTX 30 - 31%
CTX 40 - 43%
CTX 50 - 58%

Thanks in advance.
The only opinion that matters is yours. I have Space Gray. I bet the others who posted here think mine is too light. I bet I think theirs is too dark. So how do YOU know... you ask them to put up samples on a window, take pictures, discuss, figure it out. When I went with Air Blue 80, installer and I were unanimous about it, even when the tint next to it was the most expensive one they offered.

Will AB80 be more expensive than CTX, could be, but at almost twice the transparency, it matches both the total solar rejection and UV rejection of the CTX 40. In fact, I was told by my installer that the AB is actually 99.9%, best UV rejection of his entire selection.

http://www.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarAutoSpecsUS.pdf
Old 10-24-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
EVERY jurisdiction has legal limits on tint darkness. They can all be looked up online....or you can call local law enforcement. Your tint shop will also know.

Find documentation on those limits, and do not exceed them.

The rest is up to you.

Opinion: I've been a reserve deputy and if I pulled over a car with black-out tint, I might hand them a scraper and tell them to get to work on the film or get a ticket.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
EVERY jurisdiction has legal limits on tint darkness. They can all be looked up online....or you can call local law enforcement. Your tint shop will also know.

Find documentation on those limits, and do not exceed them.

The rest is up to you.

Opinion: I've been a reserve deputy and if I pulled over a car with black-out tint, I might hand them a scraper and tell them to get to work on the film or get a ticket.
This is our tinting law : "No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway."

Ontario – For the driver’s compartment, right and left,no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed.

Its really vague on the actual % of the tint.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:39 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
This is our tinting law : "No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway."

Ontario – For the driver’s compartment, right and left,no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed.

You're right, I was curiously looking around. It seems as Pilgrim was saying, if any LEO thinks it's too dark at all, subjectively, in any way, they can ticket you. I came across people saying that the tint shops where you live have generally accepted about 30% as an unofficial standard for what will probably work. If true, and you confirm after making a simple phone call to your local reputable tint shop, you are probably fine going as dark as that if you have a beige leather with white paint. Space Gray with black leather, maybe fine for most of the time. It seems that there is always a risk with your law.

I believe* my state law says that we can have our front windows tinted only as light as 70%, and not only that, only when it came like that from the factory or something. However, I have no fear for anyone with say a 50% tint or lighter where I live.

We must have front license plates here, but where I live no one gets tickets for it.

The law also says I have to have the orange side reflectors, but I changed those to clears, I've never been ticketed for it, and that even includes when an officer did a walk around around the whole car before.

No one ever mentioned anything about my window tint.

IOW, I would start asking all your friends and family who have tint, and see what their experiences have been. I do know a few people who have got tint tickets, but they were very dark, on the order of say 20% I think.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:42 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Please do not tint your windshield under any circumstances ....its what you look through to where you are going ... its that simple.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Any tint obscures night vision - OPP's call. In the event of a collision, can you guess how that'll go?

Reg doesn't say it must apply to any event. OPP need only notice it.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i Sedan

There is a tint called clear blue that can go on the windshield if you're just looking to cut down on UV rays. Not sure if a dealer carries it in your area.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:28 AM
Fest Wërks

I didn't read your one comment all the way through. But yes with 15% in the rear it's hard to reverse at night. Even with the 35% up front it's hard to look out of my side mirrors to reverse. Switching lanes with tint at night isn't bad though, the head lights can still be seen through it

Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV
Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 AM
Fest Wërks

Lmao if a "reserve deputy" handed me a scraper or take a ticket I'd laugh in his face and see you on the date of the ticket. Hmm... Should I peel off my $230+ tint job.. Or get a 50-some-odd dollar ticket and pay it online.. Decisions.. Decision..

OP Don't listen to any of those people talking about "its illegal, it's not worth it" I've been driving in a state where ANY form of tint is illegal. I've never been pulled over for just that but I did receive a 50$ tint ticket instead of the police officer giving me 45 mph in a 25 mph zone. Yes you might have the occasional d-bag cop that will pull you over for tint, but chances are they won't. And I've seen multiple people including my own story where we received a tint ticket instead of and bigger fine.

Edit: PS I wasn't going for the "I'm a youngster, trying to be cool by disrespecting the police." It just irks me when people in a position such as an officer, abuses that power, he was I trusted with. I've had 2 situations where a police over took advantage of the fact that I was a young driver and wasn't fully aware of the law. And I got screwed only one of the two times. To whom ever the poster was that said they would hand them a scraper, I would have much rather had you say to me, "You had your windows tinted knowing it illegal here, I'm going to write you a tickets for that today" and you write the ticket and we both be on our way. I can respect something along those lines. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV

Last edited by TheyCallMeNun; 10-25-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeNun View Post
Lmao if a "reserve deputy" handed me a scraper or take a ticket I'd laugh in his face and see you on the date of the ticket. Hmm... Should I peel off my $230+ tint job.. Or get a 50-some-odd dollar ticket and pay it online.. Decisions.. Decision..
That would be fine. I'm not sure how you would know a reserve from a regular officer, as there is no way to tell in the field. And anyone serving in that capacity would be happy to issue the ticket and let you deal with the expense and hassle. And you'll end up having to remove the tint anyway.

The point is - don't poke the bear. Just don't. You lose your own time, frustration and aggravation. Setting yourself up for traffic stops and possible tickets has NO upside. Just stay within legal limits on the tint, and you have no issues and no hassles. There's nothing bad about that.

And something most people don't think about - if an officer can't see into your car because of dark tint, there is a MUCH greater chance that they'll be greeting you with their gun drawn or with their hand on it. Traffic stops are the single most dangerous thing they do, and the harder you make it for them to see into your car, the more you can expect them to be nervous about you. Personally, I don't see the upside in giving people carrying guns a reason to be nervous about me.

I have no problem with tinted windows - as long as there's no obstruction of your vision, and no safety issue. That of course means that any tint on the front door windows should be moderate, and there should not be any additional tine on the windshield.

Last edited by Pilgrim; 10-25-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Fest Wërks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
That would be fine. I'm not sure how you would know a reserve from a regular officer, as there is no way to tell in the field. And anyone serving in that capacity would be happy to issue the ticket and let you deal with the expense and hassle. And you'll end up having to remove the tint anyway.

The point is - don't poke the bear. Just don't. You lose your own time, frustration and aggravation. Setting yourself up for traffic stops and possible tickets has NO upside. Just stay within legal limits on the tint, and you have no issues and no hassles. There's nothing bad about that.

And something most people don't think about - if an officer can't see into your car because of dark tint, there is a MUCH greater chance that they'll be greeting you with their gun drawn or with their hand on it. Traffic stops are the single most dangerous thing they do, and the harder you make it for them to see into your car, the more you can expect them to be nervous about you. Personally, I don't see the upside in giving people carrying guns a reason to be nervous about me.

I have no problem with tinted windows - as long as there's no obstruction of your vision, and no safety issue. That of course means that any tint on the front door windows should be moderate, and there should not be any additional tine on the windshield.
That why I put "reserve officer", I didn't even know there was a difference. I treat every officer with respect, some are just rude people, just like anyone else in this world. I agree with you tho, I accepted the fact I put myself in a position to be pulled over, but there is no reason to let them take advantage of you. I got my ticket for tint and I paid the 50 bucks and that was that. I Didn't have to remove the tint so I don't know what you re talking about. And to my point, you would never have to take off your tint, if you want to rack up $10,000 in tint tickets, the state would be happy to let you. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE is it okay for an officer to have you peel the tint off of your car, especially on the side of the road. The law may be always right but the people enforcing it are not. Can you tell how much trust I have in the police officers these days
Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV

Last edited by TheyCallMeNun; 10-25-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
Like somebody else said earlier. Put on what you feel comfortable with. Personally, I would never tint a windshield but I like a darker look on all other windows. Also, I'm not a big fan of having different levels of tint on different windows. My last car had 15% all around and it was dark, but that was my choice even though it was darker than was legal in my state. I just got my current car and will be doing the same to this one.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.