Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Well, I kind of feel like they've diluted the brand as a whole. A lot more use of the M badge kind of diminishing what it means to be a M car. From a distance it's really had to identify whether you're seeing a 3, 4, or 5 series. That said, all of them are still very handsome (for lack of a better term) and I really like the styling of all of them.
Yes, agree.

What's strange is there's a 3 series sedan- the F30, that's quite large, but then this new 2 series coupe feels more 3 series than the new 4 series coupe ...

Gets confusing.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Mazda
The All-New BMW 2 Series Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I never fit in Audis, the center consoles always intrudes on my knee.
I have the same problem with the A3,4 and 5. Furthermore, the B pillar is DIRECTLY to the left of my shoulder. Putting my elbow out the window is impossible. But more importantly, it totally blocks my view out the driver's window. It make merging to left a very scary proposition.
Too bad, I LOVE the looks of the current Audi Allroad. Unfortunately, I had the misfortune of sitting in one recently. Very, very disappointing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
What's with the Audi S/RS style silver side view mirrors? Let's see if BMW does more with this one. Has a lot of potential, but not blown away it yet.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Doesn't sound like the new A3 is any more of a driver's car than other Audis. Bummer.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc..._pictures.html
Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
The competition between this and the new A3 (http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a3) is going to be fierce. Both are sexy as hell.

Unfortunately, with a 4 year old and new baby due in February I won't be driving a 2 door car for the foreseeable future. So unless they make a 4-door 1-series or a 2-series gran coupe I won't be interested.
They do make a 4 door 1 series, we're just not allowed to have it...though I read on Autoblog we may get it in 2015 when its face lifted.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Re: The All-New BMW 2 Series Coupe

Is this thing going to have HUD?!?

Old 10-26-2013, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
this thing should not be ordered with whatever a hud is, or nav or an automatic or park sensor or any of the other bs that a sports coupe does not need
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Re: The All-New BMW 2 Series Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahh View Post
this thing should not be ordered with whatever a hud is, or nav or an automatic or park sensor or any of the other bs that a sports coupe does not need
I want all those things!

Old 10-27-2013, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
I know, lots do, that's why the cars weigh so much

I see a BRZ in my future
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: Yugo
Quote:
I largely agree. My dealer thought I was crazy when I said that I don't care about premium package or tech package. Meanwhile, every car on their had at least one of those. That said, I would get hud if it was available as a stand alone option.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I see a BRZ in my future
Only when the turbo STi version comes out.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I largely agree. My dealer thought I was crazy when I said that I don't care about premium package or tech package. Meanwhile, every car on their had at least one of those. That said, I would get hud if it was available as a stand alone option.
What's the point of a HUD if you don't have Sidewinder missiles and some Mavericks?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:49 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
What's the point of a HUD if you don't have Sidewinder missiles and some Mavericks?
That's what the aftermarket is for.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
For myself, the most pressing problem is not premium or tech package with or without HUD. My main fear is coming from BMWNA's demonstrated stupidity (yes, considering their track record) which will decide to MANDATE sunroof on M235i. Just like they did on any chassis of 335i.

If they do that, I'm done with BMW as a brand. If they leave it be an option, I see Sept 2015 ED in my future. M235i+LSD. Nothing else.

What's the big deal? This will be my weekend and a track car for years and years to come. If you don't have a problem in the front seat, then try sitting on the back seat of something small with helmet on your head, hunched like Quasimodo while somebody is wringing 8-9/10ths out of it on a track for 30 minutes. Then come back here and we can talk if you still have to ask "What's the big deal?".

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
For myself, the most pressing problem is not premium or tech package with or without HUD. My main fear is coming from BMWNA's demonstrated stupidity (yes, considering their track record) which will decide to MANDATE sunroof on M235i. Just like they did on any chassis of 335i.
I wish you luck. I have a little hope moonroof is optional cause of the stated weight loss of the M235i, but I suspect that's a typo or Euro specs.

Also moonroof was optional on the 1M coupe, so there's a little hope there.

But it's slim. Not a must have for me since I don't track my cars anymore, but I'd love to have no moonroof so my head doesn't touch the ceiling.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325is
They couldn't just downsize the 3 series, because automakers have to always be "bigger and better" when each new model comes out, which means either you do some kind of cheesy cosmetic-only changes combined with a token horsepower increase, or you go for leg room, shoulder room, and then the 3 grows into the 5. Look at the Honda Accord from the 80s and the one now--the 80s one is smaller than today's Civic. I think they do this on purpose because people identify with both a brand and a model and this is a subtle way of wringing more money out of customers who do that. "I drive 3s, can't afford 5s" but I'm paying ever more for the 3. Then they run out of room (because cars can only grow so large), so they have to start over with an E30 sized car, which is what they never should have gotten away from with their base model in the first place! I see the 1s and 2s as 21st century E30s, although I often see comparisons with the E46, also. I'm not sure why the E36 garners no love except for Car & Driver's love affair with the E46 330 and 335 versions.

The problem is that I don't care for all the gizmos. It's all become...cumbersome, especially if you drive without music or other entertainment, which is how you should drive. I like GPS.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Will the M2 have limited production as did the 1M?
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 10-29-2013, 06:16 PM

I wish they would have announced a M235 GT as well.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335iS [ ED ]
"...MANDATE sunroof on M235i."
This may merit a separate thread?
I hear you.
My concern is that there is no mention of a sunroof in any BMW release I have seen -
even as an option.
And most of the pictures I have seen do not show one.
- Ray
I would like at least an option of a sunroof - since 'mine'
would never be tracked...
Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayainsw View Post
I would like at least an option of a sunroof - since 'mine'
would never be tracked...
That's all I'm asking for ... an option. When I was buying my car in the picture I insisted on having it without sunroof, but there was nothing my CA could do about it. It was ordered for ED with exact options I wanted and two things I didn't want - sunroof and Xenon lights. Mandating Xenons is not that bad (in my opinion) because it hardly detracts from anything related to driving - it can only make it a better experience. And it does, regardless of the fact you don't need them to drive exclusively in the daylight. They make your reflection on the pickup truck tailgate when stopped at the light look amazingly good

Unwanted sunroof, on the other hand, can make the car unusable.

There was just a thread on F10 forum about it. That would be F10, a.k.a. cruise ship-sized sedan and it is amazing how many people lack a headroom - yes, with the sunroof, not sure if you can even order ANY F10 without it.

Mandating something that very easily might make the car uncomfortable or plain unusable IS stupidity - at least by my definition. Options are good. Non-deletable "options" are bad.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Let's drive!

Mein Auto: '14 LCI 550i xDrive Msprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
The competition between this and the new A3 (http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a3) is going to be fierce. Both are sexy as hell.

Unfortunately, with a 4 year old and new baby due in February I won't be driving a 2 door car for the foreseeable future. So unless they make a 4-door 1-series or a 2-series gran coupe I won't be interested.
2's and 4's are coupes (2 door). 3's and 5's are saloons, (4door).

Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacobs1000 View Post
2's and 4's are coupes (2 door). 3's and 5's are saloons, (4door).
Not all coupes are 2 doors. See Mercedes CLA or BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe

http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-2015...mo-416399.html
Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Not all coupes are 2 doors. See Mercedes CLA or BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe

http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-2015...mo-416399.html
Aww, baloney.
This "4 door coupe" BS needs to stop. Manufacturers can name things whatever they like. But a sedan has four doors and a coupe has two.

If it walks like a duck...

If BMW called a two door 228i a cargo van, would anyone believe them?

Why not just call it a watermelon, if they're going to make up stuff?

Heck, they should call it Jesus!
Or Kate Upton? Who wouldn't want to say their daily ride is Kate Upton [or insert other hot chick name here].

Old 10-30-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealousofmywife View Post
Aww, baloney.
This "4 door coupe" BS needs to stop. Manufacturers can name things whatever they like. But a sedan has four doors and a coupe has two.

If it walks like a duck...

If BMW called a two door 228i a cargo van, would anyone believe them?

Why not just call it a watermelon, if they're going to make up stuff?

Heck, they should call it Jesus!
Or Kate Upton? Who wouldn't want to say their daily ride is Kate Upton [or insert other hot chick name here].

Ha. Well, wikipedia agrees with the automakers and, as we all know, if it's on wikipedia it's most definitely undeniably true.

Seriously though, I was commenting more to the fact that a poster said that all 2 and 4 series cars will only have two doors. Call it what you will, but there will be a 4 series with 4 doors and potentially a 2 series with 2 doors plus 2 more. I think I'll call them coupedans. #Coined

Last edited by BentZero; 10-30-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Ha. Well, wikipedia agrees with the automakers and, as we all know, if it's on wikipedia it's most definitely undeniably true.

Seriously though, I was commenting more to the fact that a poster said that all 2 and 4 series cars will only have two doors. Call it what you will, but there will be a 4 series with 4 doors and potentially a 2 series with 2 doors plus 2 more. I think I'll call them coupedans. #Coined
Fair enough.
But if this trend continues, then someday the old joke "Why does a chicken coop only have two doors" will cease to be funny.
That would be tragic!
It's my favorite "clean" farm animal/automotive joke.