Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i

How do u tighten the fan belts. Previous owner put new ones in now they stretched and squeal. 1995 525i
Ads by Google
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
they are self tightening in your 1995 525i. it has an M50 engine.
mostly likely he has replaced it with the wrong sized belt, (solution: get one size smaller), the catalouge in the parts stores here in New Zealand list the wrong size for our cars, maybe they use the very same catalouges in the USA??

another possibilty is that it has been put on incorrectly (post a photo if you can).
or maybe the spring in your tensioner isnt tensioning correctly anymore.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
There are two tensioner's on the M 50 motor for the main belt, (and one for the Ac belt). The lower main belt tensioner is not adjustable, think of it a a tiny shock (Damper) with allot of tension on it. when it gives out it must be replaced. The upper one is on an offset shaft and can be tightened. See pick for locations. You need to check the tension supplied by the lower one as well because it could be shot.

Remember to check the other damper for the Ac belt as well. The two damper/tensioner's are marked "A" and "B" in the drawing.

Do this before going out and buying new belts (if you know for sure that new belts on there now are new).

If you do end up replacing the belt, be sure to tension it correctly and run the car for about thirty minutes and then loosen it and tension again using the top tensioner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belt tention.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	403919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tensioner.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	403920   Click image for larger version

Name:	drivebeltrout.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	403924  

Last edited by CarDriver; 10-25-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Hey CD. I have the M50 and just did my second coolant overhaul, including replacing the pulleys. You are correct about the hydraulic tensioner. However, the pulley by the alternator (the top one circled in red in the picture) is not adjustable. It has an indexing notch that fits into a slot which causes it to go in properly in only one orientation. At least that is the way it is on my car. Therefore, it is not adjustable. I agree that OP either got the wrong belt or his hydraulic tensioner is shot. I suppose it is possible that he has the spring loaded tensioner instead of the hydraulic one, but it would still likely be the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 10-25-2013, 05:39 AM

Trust me sir. It is adjustable. Unless it has changed for the latter years. I just replaced my main belt when doing the power steering pump. The rebuilt pump I installed spun the flange off the shaft and destroyed the belt :o((( I guess you get what you pay for. The next one came from RockAuto so I knew it would be good...

If you look closely you can see the offset on the pulley assy that the bolt passes through. (dude... he said... assy LOL...) As soon as you loosen the bolt, the pulley swings upward so to speak. To tighten, you need a big set of channel locks to place behind the pulley, hold tension on it a tighten the bolt.

Unless I have been doing something seriously wrong there LOL... Could be, I can screw up just like the next guy but hopefully not as often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Offset.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	403931  

Last edited by CarDriver; 10-25-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
I realize that the hole through the pulley is offset and I'm not saying that it "can't" be turned, but I think if you remove the pulley and look on the back side, you will see a little tit (hehe, yes I typed tit ) on the pulley assembly itself that fits into a recess on the bracket. It is designed to specifically prevent the pulley assembly from turning.

Just to be clear, I'm not in "argument mode" ...... I just think I'm right on this one (notice I said "think" .... I've eaten enough crow to know it tastes horrible ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 10-28-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
I realize that the hole through the pulley is offset and I'm not saying that it "can't" be turned, but I think if you remove the pulley and look on the back side, you will see a little tit (hehe, yes I typed tit ) on the pulley assembly itself that fits into a recess on the bracket. It is designed to specifically prevent the pulley assembly from turning.

Just to be clear, I'm not in "argument mode" ...... I just think I'm right on this one (notice I said "think" .... I've eaten enough crow to know it tastes horrible ).
You must be right, I think the times I did it I only imagined it.