Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-25-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: E60
Heater Not Working

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I don't know why it has taken me so long to register but I am glad to be here.

Anyway I have and E60 and I am the original owner. I love this car and it has been fun to drive. It now has 115,000 miles on it and I know I should be able to get another 115,000 more.

My last 5 got over 215,000 before I gave her away and in hind sight I wish I didn't.

Anyway here is my question and I hope you guys can help.

My interior heating system is not working. The blower works fine but there is no heat. I have replaced the thermostat thinking this was the issue but it wasn't. I do now have a shinny new T-stat though.

I am beginning to think it could be the heater core. It could be plugged up. I live in Texas and only use the heat a few months out of the year so maybe gunk got into it.

That being said I have maintained the vehicle well and flushed the cooling system.

Speaking of flushing I though that may be something I should do to the heater core but I am not sure. Furthermore I have not been able to find any information on flushing a heater core for the E60.

I am hopeful somebody else in the forum may have some ideas.

Thanks a ton and I look forward to being a member of this community.
Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Which version do you have, 530, 545i,..?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:25 AM

Type Of Car 550i

I have a 550i
Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
I'd look at FSR (final stage resistor), then heater-core.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 AM

Thanks I will look into the FSR.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
If you blower is working it is not the FSR
Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I have the same problem and i change the FSR it still does not blow any heat.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: `07 550i, Silver on Black
I have a 2007 550i (for all of two days I have owned this ride) and I seem to be having a similar issue.
A side note, the rear vents pump out gobs of hot air, but the front vents do not blow air any warmer than cabin ambient temp air.

edit: the blower responds accordingly to the I system adjustments and to the manual knob adjustments. The AC works GREAT and all other climate controls seem to be operating properly. I am just not getting any warm/hot air from the front vents.

Last edited by WannaBeamer; 11-07-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: edit for clarification:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Okay a little more information. It appears that the heater core isn't blocked because both lines are hot to and from the core. I am beginning to thing that the problem is with the electronics or something inside the car. I have no way to find the problem so if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

I have been messing with th I Drive and everything is on red. The two knows for the temp are on 100% highest heat and the air is cold.

A few weeks ago I was able to get heat out of the passenger side and not the drivers. Now there is no heat from either side.

Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 6Spd 550I w Sports Pk
Heater Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeamer View Post
I have a 2007 550i (for all of two days I have owned this ride) and I seem to be having a similar issue.
A side note, the rear vents pump out gobs of hot air, but the front vents do not blow air any warmer than cabin ambient temp air.

edit: the blower responds accordingly to the I system adjustments and to the manual knob adjustments. The AC works GREAT and all other climate controls seem to be operating properly. I am just not getting any warm/hot air from the front vents.
Same problem here. All of the vents blow out fire hot air except the face vents. For the life of me I can't figure it out. 2007 550i here with 56k

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-13-2013, 02:00 PM

Again I am looking for some help to fix the problem. I am getting now warm air at all from any vents. The lines to and from the heater core are hot indicating hot water is flowing therough it. Still no warm air. The vents are plowing and working well. Cooling just fantastic but I cannot get any heat.

I would like some mechanical ideas as to what the problem could be before I remove the dash board.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:03 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I assume everyone understands there is a totally separate setting for the face vents temp that is adjusted on the idrive system?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 6Spd 550I w Sports Pk
Heater Not Working

That's the thing. I've tried to adjust it but to no avail. Unless I'm doing it wrong I have nobidea

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 PM
That's Rad!

Mein Auto: 05, E60/545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
I assume everyone understands there is a totally separate setting for the face vents temp that is adjusted on the idrive system?
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeamer View Post

In iDrive like Schpenxel mentions you can adjust the cold/hot amount of air that flows out of the vents. I had this same issue when I bought mine, adjusted the vents and now have nice hot air.

However I think the OP might have a different issue then yours.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: `07 550i, Silver on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8 View Post
This...

In iDrive like Schpenxel mentions you can adjust the cold/hot amount of air that flows out of the vents. I had this same issue when I bought mine, adjusted the vents and now have nice hot air.

However I think the OP might have a different issue then yours.

Good luck!
Schpenxel: Ummm...... I am a total noob. Voila! I did this and now my heat works..... TY

Cre8: TY 2 u 2!

OP: sorry for hijacking your thread. I thought we had the same issue. My bad!

'07 550i
Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
I have had the same issue off and on for the last year. I can get the heat to be better by messing around with the iDrive controls. However, it is never consistent as far as getting it to push out hot air properly based on the position of the controls in the iDrive. My suspicion is there is a problem with the actuators for the vents and they are not behaving properly. Fooling around with the iDrive may get them to move properly in short term but long term they misbehave again. One of these days I have to get around to looking at it. Winter is here so "one of these days" is very soon.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 AM
New to BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
I have heat on my passenger side, but the drivers side is cold as is the air coming from the rear vents. I have the iDrive set to 100% red as well as both knobs turned to the 100% heat position. I had this problem last year in the winter, but didn't mess with it since it wasn't a cold one and I wasn't too worried about it.

Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitman View Post
Again I am looking for some help to fix the problem. I am getting now warm air at all from any vents. The lines to and from the heater core are hot indicating hot water is flowing therough it. Still no warm air. The vents are plowing and working well. Cooling just fantastic but I cannot get any heat.

I would like some mechanical ideas as to what the problem could be before I remove the dash board.
Blender door malfunction?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 08 550 M-Sport
Bump

I had this issue last night too. If I switched between Manual and Auto, I would get a brief blast of HOT air from the dash vents then back to lukewarm. Not sure if this is related but I will throw it out there. When I started the car, the clock was XX:XX (I have a dieing battery issue) so I know the battery was low. I hooked up the trickle charger overnight, and all was back to normal (hot air coming out the dash vents) in the morning. Maybe the HVAC vent flaps get stuck in limbo with little battery power and can't self correct??? Beats me, but I'm getting really, really tired of the stupid stuff. I don't care who makes it, a car that stickers originally for $60k should NOT have these issues.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
My heater works fine when it's 32 degrees F but when it gets REALLY cold the thing quits and the engine overheats.

I have it all torn apart now. The Bentley Manual makes it sound like you can just pull a couple bolts and loosen a few hose clamps and the whole thing (water pump and thermostat) comes out. No way!!

I have the whole front end of the car taken apart and it was still hard to get the thing out. I'll replace hoses since I don't ever want to do this again.