Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
Maserati Ghibli - A replacement for your 5 Series?

ghibli

If you are in the market for a mid-sized luxury sedan, you have a few choices. The Audi A6/S6, Mercedes-Benz E-Class and of course the BMW 5 Series. Now, Maserati is also bringing their Ghibli to the table, to add a bit of Italian flare.

Usually, to get into a Maserati you would have to spend over $100k. Well, Maserati is trying to change that with the Ghibli. You get in at a bit less than that, for around $75k. That may still seem a little high, but an optioned up 5 Series is pretty close in comparison. The Ghibli isn't just your average mid-sized sedan though, look at it, it's exciting. Just sitting there, it looks like it would eat any pedestrian that would meet it in a cross walk. It's lines are flowing, clean and the front looks like an angered Quattroporte, which is good. Let's get by the looks, to the heart of the Ghibli. Maserati utilizes a Ferrari twin-turbo v6 that produces 404 horsepower, and as you'll hear in the video below, it sounds awesome. The Ghibli is said to handle well too. Now add in a well appointed interior and the Ghibli sounds like the complete package.

BMW, Audi and Mercedes may have to watch out for this one. A head turning exotic in the mix for $75k, could definitely get customers excited for something different.

Check out Consumer Reports video review of the Maserati Ghibli:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imageM.jpg
Views:	2966
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	403954  

Last edited by Bernie@Bimmerfest; 10-25-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: My bad grammar
Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
thanks...you mention a Ferrari engine....will this car have the requirement of changing oil at least once a year--regardless how few miles you drive--at a ridiculous cost of $5,000, which is what it costs to maintain a Ferrari?...curious what the cost of maintenance will be on the car.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
I was wondering about the maintenance myself. Would be nice if this particular engine didn't demand the same attention.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i MSport
Great looking specimen! I predict West Virginia will get a Maserati dealership before we ever get a Whole Foods. Not going to happen in this century. Sure would like to test drive one.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 AM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
My F10 is my daily driver. I'll pass until I see some reliability stats.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsarkar View Post
My F10 is my daily driver. I'll pass until I see some reliability stats.
This....

They should do a comparison test between cars that has been on the road for 2-3 years to see which one is holding up and which one is falling apart.

I am willing to bet that the Ghibli will be in MUCH worse shape than a F10 after some miles based on all the crap I've read about the Quattroporte

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
I will admit, this will definitely get a look as my next car. I am not so worried about reliability as I lease, so everything would be under warranty. I agree I would definitely want to see some reliability data first before I was purchasing one.
ED Trip Report http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705892

Previous:
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi
Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I don't like the Chrysler 300. Not even with the Maserati bodykit.

My M5 will crush that car in any trim.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-25-2013, 12:06 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSoxFan View Post
I will admit, this will definitely get a look as my next car. I am not so worried about reliability as I lease, so everything would be under warranty. I agree I would definitely want to see some reliability data first before I was purchasing one.
I don't know. One of my friends bought a Maserati Spyder, and another bought a Granturismo. Both of them had the car in the shop every 2-3 months for repairs, and several occasions of being stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

While warranty covers the repair costs, nothing can make up for the pain of the above.

The only saving grace for this car is that it is probably less Ferrari and more Chrysler 300 and so should be more reliable than the Maseratis owned by these friends of mine.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post

I don't think anyone is saying it is better than an M5 (at least I hope no one is that stupid)...

I think it might be a viable alternative to the normal 5 series lines.
ED Trip Report http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705892

Previous:
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi
Old 10-25-2013, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:

it better

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 10-25-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 535i
I can't get past the name. I have a Maserati Giblet......
Old 10-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I think $72k is for a non-S. For an S, you're talking close to $90k and now you're talking about M5 territory.

No thanks.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
No Ghibli for me.
Too much money for sure too much disappointing experiences.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
A 2012 Maserati GT with low miles can be had for ~$80k with an MSRP of ~$150k. There's a reason for that.
However as with most Italian things it will frustrate the crap out of you but you can't help loving it. Depreciation and not being able to trust your DD is enough to say, no way though.

That said I will never part from my 1999 Ducati 748S. It's the most perfect thing I ever owned.
It's been mostly good but it wouldn't be Italian if there wasn't some exotic experiences. I once needed a new fuel flange and it was delivered promptly from Bologna after only 3 months...to the bargain price of $700.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I have mixed feelings on it, design wise (looks like it could date quickly, unlike the organically balanced design idiom of the F10) and don't care what emblem and engine they put in it: I think of it as an inherent downgrade from a BMW or Merc for that matter due to being based on a Chrysler with a complete Chrysler/Dodge interior layout and some shared parts with $18K Chrysler/Dodge's....

.... BUT I will strongly consider it, all things considered, and would way rather have it as a total package over what M-B or Audi are offering in this segment. It would have a tougher time convincing me against an LCI F10.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Wasn't "Ghibli" one of the Hobbits?

2011 550i Sport, premium, Dark Graphite
Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
This....

They should do a comparison test between cars that has been on the road for 2-3 years to see which one is holding up and which one is falling apart.

I am willing to bet that the Ghibli will be in MUCH worse shape than a F10 after some miles based on all the crap I've read about the Quattroporte

Alan
This made me laugh. I don`t think the Italians have to worry about anything. German cars are just about on par when a vehicle is in its 3rd year on the road. Squeaks, random noises, and electrical glitches can be found everywhere...the `fest is full of em lol.

I love the maserati/ferrari soundtrack. Ghibli isn`t as amazing as the 8, but I think its no disappointment.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 10-25-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:27 PM
The Driver

Maserati Ghibli - A replacement for your 5 Series?

Why do people keep mentioning Ferrari here. Everyone knows this car is more Chrysler than Maserati!

Even the dash layout and placement of the controls echoes the Chrysler 300. That Nav screen is identical to the one in the Chrysler 300 I rented last week at Hertz.

This car reminds me of when Jaguar rebadged a Lincoln LS.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 ///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 10-25-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 PM
The Driver

Some quotes which may be useful for anyone who thinks this car has nothing to do with Chrysler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
While it's not confirmed, we hear that the Ghibli's architecture will draw heavily from the Chrysler platform that underpins the 300 and Dodge's Charger. That architecture's roots can be traced back to the Mercedes-Benz W210 E-class. The rear-wheel-drive platform has proven it can handle power, as it has underpinned several SRT and AMG derivatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive News
It's rumored that the 2014 Maserati Ghibli is going to share plenty of its parts with the Chrysler 300, which wouldn't surprise us in the least. Maserati says its base engine for the new car is going to be a twin-turbocharged, 3.0-liter V-6, likely the same 410-horsepower unit found in the 2014 full-size Quattroporte. There will also be an available 3.0-liter diesel V-6, undoubtedly related to the engine available in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the overseas Chrysler 300, making 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque–pulling force–in the Jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobile Magazine
Main functions are smoothly handled by an 8.4-inch touch screen with Garmin navigation, virtually identical to that of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Joke if you must about Chrysler's latest -- and hopefully last -- European marriage, but it whips the nav system on any Ferrari. WiFi hotspot capability also hails from Motown, not Modena.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorTrend
Shifting from park to drive can be done without looking -- just slam the lever all the way back. Changing from park or drive to reverse requires visual confirmation either by looking at the instruments or shifter position, not ideal for quick three-point turns or parallel parking. We encountered the same issue with this transmission in that other Fiat product, the Chrysler 300. Hopefully ZF comes up with a belated, gated solution.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM
The Driver

Another Motortrend quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorTrend
The interior is refreshingly simple, with few buttons on the center console and little complexity. You'll go hunting for the Chrysler family start button on the right side of the steering wheel the first time you climb in the car, and you'll note that most of the Ghibli's plastic switchgear is also Chrysler stuff.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535dx; 2013 X5 35i
Italian cars are nice to look at and sound nice driving.

How many repeat buyers are there?

I would buy a Porsche over a Ferrari, all things being equal. Given the chance to drive one for a day I might go for the Ferrari. The same is true if the option was BMW vs Masaratti.

When I was younger, my GF had an Alpha. Fun car to drive when it wasn't in the shop but build quality was crap. Drove some older Ferarris and while the quality was much better, I could see myself getting tired of driving it but they make nice garage queens, weekend drivers.

I'll pass on the Italian cars. I'll take a BMW or Porsche, thank you.
Current2014 535d xDrive Imperial Blue|Amaro Brown Ext Merino|M Sport|Cold Weather|4-Zone|Driver Assistance|Driver Assistance Plus with ACC Stop & Go|Dynamic Handling Package|LED Pkg|Luxury Seating|Premium Package|Sport Automatic Transmission|Soft-Close doors|Sunshades|HK Premium Sound|Night Vision
2013 X5 35i TiAg/Blk
Past 2007 530i/6|2002 X5 4.4i|2000 540i/6|1999 M Roadster|1989 535iA|1984 533i/5|1983 533i/5|1977 530i/4
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
ImolaRedM sums it up nicely. I can add a Fiat128 and Fiat500(used more oil than gas).I will gladly keep my BMW gremlins,thanks muchly.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 PM

And the Counter Arguments...to be fair lol

Quote:
Some quotes which may be useful for anyone who thinks this car has nothing to do with Chrysler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmunds
its style, sound, power and precise handling should make the Italian newcomer a legitimate alternative to the usual favorites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto week
Selecting “Sport” mode for both the electronically variable dampers and drivetrain transforms the Ghibli into a rasping, crackling, popping, hyper-responsive corner-carver. The class of the chassis components is evident from the S Q4's unshakeable balance and stunning agility. It's a very different, and much more involving, experience from any of Maserati's competitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by From one of our own Autoblog
Diving into the first corner, I gave a firm push on the brake pedal and readied myself for the expected understeer. Surprisingly, it never came. Instead, the front and rear tires shared the load equally. The chassis felt balanced and neutral through the apex, so I applied power and the sedan hunkered back on its driven wheels and pulled out of the corner confidently. I repeated the exercise, thinking it was a fluke, but the Ghibli shook each subsequent corner as easily as it had the first. Other automakers boast a balanced weight distribution, but the Maserati actually delivers that neutrality in the corners. With traction control defeated, the sport sedan even relishes oversteer slides upon exit with only a slight bit of prodding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo
Inside, the Ghibli feels very luxurious and from a class above cars like the Mercedes E-class and BMW 5-series.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler View Post
ImolaRedM sums it up nicely. I can add a Fiat128 and Fiat500(used more oil than gas).I will gladly keep my BMW gremlins,thanks muchly.
Oil vs gremlins... interesting outlook

Personally I`d be an oil guy, its simple, hasslefree. Gremlins equals=agony and diagnostic software only the stealership has.

Why does this matter?