Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-18-2014, 04:39 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Another issue with the Ghibli is that being V6's, I see the engines as inherent downgrades from the I6. Apparently to their credit, they do sound superb (a relative rarity for a V6 and something that comes natural to an I6), and whether or not they're truly jointly built by Ferrari, 3.0L V6's stressed to 345 and especially 400+ HP built by the Italians sounds like a recipe for disaster. Even though I said I'd probably get the 345 HP if I did consider truly getting the car due to probably wanting to stick with that budget, the 400 HP version just seems way too high stress, considering it's the same size and same core motor as the lower HP one.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 PM
Dark Knight

So I checked one out again, to digest it a bit better.

Headroom seems IDENTICAL to my 5er, I guess bittersweet. Still too cramped as I'd like some inches above my head like a normal person so I don't have to feel like driving my car is a safety hazard, but livable. Maaaybe it had a tiny bit more headroom actually, but not sure. I echo ND in that I wish the steering will did come out a liiiiitle bit more and could especially go a little lower as that would help me be more comfortable with the backrest far back (a must for me to have adequate headroom). Considering I need to "G Ride" the car with the backrest far back, I noticed the headrest is a bit further back than the 5ers, mainly because it doesn't have the option to come forward like the 5ers, which may make the car a little less "safe" in the event of a rear collision, considering with the seat back you don't get as much neck support.

Interior: I echo a lot of what ND said here, and the car I sat in DID have the extended leather panels which are an expensive option. WITH all the extended leather I'd say the interior is about on par with an F10. The screen is actually not as crappy as I'd thought, it's actually huge (bigger than the BMW which surprised me, never did my cars screen seem even remotely "small" until I got back in it) though I like BMW's tactful placement of it in that it's more wide than long. iDrive and the graphics on the BMW are clearly more sophisticated and high quality and I hate car touchscreens, I prefer the iDrive knob, but considering what I WOULD want a Maser for, it would't be a dealbreaker, I don't think. I just hate that it's so notably "Chrysler" (i.e cheap I guess).

Considering the extended leather model I found to be maybe on par overall with the F10 interior, I'm weary of the normal interior, i.e the one with the bare plastic dash and door panels (which would have no stitching at all, btw), considering this car uses pretty cheap plastics everywhere where the plastics are bare.

The UNDERLYING quality is no comparison, however: That goes all the way to the F10. When I say that the extended-leather Ghibli interior is "on par" with the F10, I mean that the fancy/cushy extras bring it up to speed even considering its lacking underlying/fundamental qualities.

The switchgear on the Ghibli is a joke, total Chrysler part, feels like an un-substantial, hard, light ("full of air") piece, the headlight switch and surrounding pieces/knobs, also Chrysler pieces, feel like something fit for a child's toy. The plastic on the lower B Pillar also feel like Fischer Price quality (though it feels cheap in every car these days in that location, even the F10, the F10's is textured much nicer).

The F10 knobs and switches and SAT gearswitch all give a much higher quality impression of precision, substance, etc. However other than a few pieces, the Ghibli's may not be enough for me to completely write the car off, IF it drives "better" than the F10. Again, I fear how the "base" interior of the Ghibli will look/feel as without the extended stuff I don't know how it could compare to the F10 considering even with its underlying setbacks, it will lack some "fluff".... I'm just hoping not too much fluff. One thing I did like is that even the non alcantara headliner was this plush/thick "cotton" material.

The seats are also nice. However it clearly doesn't use anything near premium grade Italian leather as the car smelled just like any other mass market luxury car with leather.

I heard from some guys on the Ghibli board that the doors sounded kind of cheap to shut, however to me they had kind of that Mercedes "metal on metal" clank. One thing I hate is that the doors are very heavy on the Ghibli, like any other car compared to the F10 who's doors are feather light. I know some people mistake "light" doors for weakness, but it's far from the case on a car as solid and safe as the F10.... it shows a more advanced material construction, as the F10 uses aluminum doors that are both very light and very strong. The Ghibli clearly uses a more normal high strength steel, which is strong, but not light. Maybe being frameless contributes to its heaviness?

Design: Once again, it's 3/3 in leaving me somewhat underwhelmed in person. I mean, it IS "nice" I think, but a little awkward and disjointed like ND said. Though I'm 100% certain that I will see some on the road and have my socks knocked off, like I am with some pics/vids. Point being, it's unlike the F10's well-balanced design, more in favor of a very "angle specific" one, not to mention light-specific. It will look nondescript in some settings, but look quite "exotic" in some, I'm sure. The big issue is the Kia rear, with those cheapo taillights. They are kind of sporty and give a utilitarian vibe (maybe something Maserati consciously wants to get across?) but not very luxurious or premium in aura. Somehow I don't mind them too much anymore, though.

All in all, I'm still set on the car being a big prospect for me, namely just to get this kind of faux "entry exotic" thing out of my system, MAYBE. I will have a hard time cutting any kind of check for a car that I feel I'm getting for purely superfluous reasons, if that really seems to be the case (it certainly somewhat is, as you are paying a big premium for the brand and to not have too many others looking exactly like you). However, price would be a huge factor, more-so than I thought before. They'd have to be discounted heavily and show within a year that resale isn't going to tank like previous Masers (which I don't think it would as it's a cheaper car and hopefully much more reliable/durable).

The big question is, is it better than the F10? Does it look better? I'd say no, and no, at best a tie, which honestly may be enough for me IF I'm looking to switch things up just for the sake of it so I can learn/experience something then come running back to BMW. For a price, of course, and I can't see myself paying much more for this than a comparable 5er, which may be the issue when it comes down to it. Once I see more on the road I can make a better verdict on how the design fares in comparison, but no Sedan out there is as timeless, balanced and organic as the F10, kind of a modern classic look. The Ghibli tries for a different approach, which it will be judged upon in due time.

Anyway, hopefully that's coherent enough. That's my current state of Ghibli ramble.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 AM
Dark Knight

Oh, and if that wasn't long enough, a few more things:

-ND is right about the steering wheel. The leather rim LOOKS like it would be of an BMW M-Sport wheel Nappa leather plushness, but it's not. It's kind of like what you'd expect a premium-package on a Chysler 300 or Dodge Charger to have. Not "cheap" per-se for those cars, but considering the Ghibli is a Maserati that competes with BMW/M-B/Audi, the steering wheel leather feels slightly cheaper/harder/thinner. However, hopefully it was just my mind playing tricks on me.

-Suspension height: Unfortunately the Sports suspension seems nary ordered because of its price and most especially "Base" Ghibli's I've seen on lots don't have it. I assume because when you build a "Base" Ghibli with it, it ends up costing just a few K shy of a Q4 also with Sports Package (options on the Q4 are far cheaper and/or less imperative for some reason). Fact is, even without the Sports Package, you NEED to get bigger/nicer/more $$$$ wheels because the base ones are hideous and tiny looking on that car. The issue here is that the Base suspension has the 4x4 height of a 5 Series or the like with a Base suspension. Doesn't have that nicely "wrapped around/tight" look of an M suspension, at least based on pics I've been looking at.

-Leases (can't remember if I touched on this): The guy told me (before any negotiations of course as he knew I wasn't gonna be in the market for almost a year) that a $75K Ghibli would lease for around $1,200 a month, not including driveoff. That's a joke, as BMW/M-B, etc. have gotten us so used to artificially subsidized leases on comparably priced cars. Therefore I'd think that the only way to go with a Ghibli would be purchasing, and assuming in one year you can hopefully know 10-15% off the price, you'd need to put a good chunk down to keep the payments in line with what a comparably priced 5er would lease for. IF resale on the Ghibli is strong, then it's probably a better choice than leasing one as you can make those payments then in several years get your $30-40K back. It certainly won't depreciate like six figure Masers before it, and I'm hoping that the Chrysler relative generic-ization of Maserati has a side effect of higher durability/reliability, but if it can't hold its value then you're really screwed either way. IF it does hold its value, at least for the first 3-4 years, then purchasing would probably be more prudent, considering you have the liquid cash and not better places to put it.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10
Thanks for the detailed review!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2013-535i
I looked at one a few months ago. My wife's A7 lease is up this year. If you notice they don't show the ass end of it.
Looks like they ran out of money, not great looking in the rear. Interior is a little tight compared to the f10, materials are very nice though. Exhaust note on sport is killer. You can buy prepaid service, I think it was around $1500. To get one even close to the A7 in options was $90k.

-Joe
Old 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: '13 550i
I don't see a point in this car. A lot of other manufacturers do it better. I'm looking to trade my 550i lease in for a M5 and I cross shopped the quattroporte. It sounded fantastic and looks so mean in black but they depreciate like a rock. I'll end up leasing the M5 since I want to be able to drive it every day without worry.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
K-A, you sound like you really want that Maserati aura. I can understand. If you had a lot of disposable cash, the decision might be easier. Still, you will get another BMW for your next lease. I would not trust a Maserati for at least of few years of proven reliability and resale. That's why the lease is so high. I can guarantee you that they want a lot of money upfront to get that $1,200/month payment. The leasing company can't take the resale risk on such a gamble. Practical the Maserati is not.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
K-A, you sound like you really want that Maserati aura. I can understand. If you had a lot of disposable cash, the decision might be easier. Still, you will get another BMW for your next lease. I would not trust a Maserati for at least of few years of proven reliability and resale. That's why the lease is so high. I can guarantee you that they want a lot of money upfront to get that $1,200/month payment. The leasing company can't take the resale risk on such a gamble. Practical the Maserati is not.
Soundly stated and I think you're right.

Yeah, I think what I'm craving is something relatively "exotic on a budget" namely for the sake of a little more variation, lol. Which is odd because I don't get bothered when I see lots of F10's, props to BMW for allowing M Sports and different options to separate them all from each other. I never get tired of them. My E Classes drove me crazy when I saw every blue-hair driving one, the design got so tired to me and the fact that M-B makes all of them look the same, i.e the "Sports Pack" made it look so generic and common to see. I just want to get it (having something "exotic") out of my system. Even though the Ghibli is exotic by name only really, and maybe engine designation, etc. In reality, it's really a ruse....

Fact is, I'm being brought in by the smoke and mirrors effect. I.e, "Maserati" has never had a real exotic cachet to me, in fact it's been more of a negative light. I find BMW, Mercedes have more cachet than Maserati. However, I'm knowingly being duped (and going for the ride) into the "Ferrari dream" thing. I've ALWAYS dreamed about having a Ferrari. And fact is, I have a ways to go to comfortably afford one, not to mention will probably never fit into one with my height, so a "4 Door Ferrari" comes closest by a Maserati.

Also, the fact that to BUY a Maserati you "get to" do it at a Ferrari dealership, to service it you do at a Ferrari dealership.... it's a lot of "cool factor" that you're paying for that has nothing to do with the car or actual Maserati company (i.e "piggybacking Ferrari").

I'm totally aware of all this. And to be honest it's highly likely I will not get a Ghibli. When it'd come down to it, for that price I'd probably rather go with a slightly used 911 which would give me that "exotic appeal", "dream car appeal" (i.e a 911 and Ferrari have always been my ultimate dream cars since childhood) and that bonafide German engineering and fundamentally high quality backed company (like BMW), etc.

However, most likely, the 6 Series Coupe or GC is the big ticket. It's like my F10 with those extra "rarities" I might be seeking. At the same time, my biggest problem with the 6 Series is how I feel the price difference doesn't justify it over an F10 as the F10 is just as good. There was a white 650i Vert at the Ferrari/Maserati dealership parked amongst the Ferrari's and honestly, it looked SO at home and like it belonged, I even think it's a better design than most Ferrari's and nicer than the Maser GT. BMW designed one of the most beautiful cars on the road with a multitude of facets in the 6 Series, and the F10 for that matter as its more utilitarian brother.

I be here all night.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Buying a Maserati is probably a very emotional decision.
Not much buyers for that car would be rationalising a possible purchase like is happening in this thread.
No they would be bewildered by the exotics at the Ferrari dealer and have all kinds of difficulties searching the right leather color combos.
I would swallow my hat as in the end of this saga K-A would get a Ghibli.
A six series or even a MB I would understand, another F10 would be the logic choice, a Maserati, never.

Last edited by Sophisto; 01-21-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:12 AM
Dark Knight

An F10 would still be my #1 choice for my next car, currently, for the record. For the price, design, drive, tech, interior, lasting values (in design), etc. I don't see anything coming near it. However the only reason I might write off one is that I really want to force myself to not get the same car twice, especially so close to when the next gen is coming out (which at the end of my lease would just be another 1 and a half, approaching 2 at most).

However, every time I see a white LCI 535i with LED headlights I drool.... I can't resist the design and package and attainable deals you can get that with, with the right timing/dealer.

Though I know I'll make a big case to force myself to not get the same thing twice.... if I can stick to it. Good problem to have if it comes to it, I guess.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
However, every time I see a white LCI 535i with LED headlights I drool....
Face it - you have found "THE ONE". There are always lots of new tempting choices with new tech, improved performance, and fetching styling. The siren song of "THE ONE" cannot be explained in rational terms but you know it when you see and drive it. You are no longer ruled by the opinion of others - it's now only about you, your F10 and the road.

THE ONE aka as The Ultimate Driving Machine/THE ONE - There is no substitute. Resistance is futile.

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-22-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:45 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Face it - you have found "THE ONE". There are always lots of new tempting choices with new tech, improved performance, and fetching styling. The siren song of "THE ONE" cannot be explained in rational terms but you know it when you see and drive it. You are no longer ruled by the opinion of others - it's now only about you, your F10 and the road.

THE ONE aka as The Ultimate Driving Machine/THE ONE - There is no substitute. Resistance is futile.
It's true, it is "The One". I knew it the first time I laid eyes on the F10 (and more-so when I drove it). It was as if BMW designed it just for me, it followed pretty much every aspect of a car I've always wanted, from the design language, details, balance, drive, interior, etc.

Though I will say I wouldn't mind the suspension feeling a little bit sportier than it does, I think I'm getting to that cycle of "want a more raw sporty feeling" where I need to get it out of my system so I can get tired of it and run back to an F10-approach and wax poetic about why it's the ultimate all-around approach to a car.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:

Well put - I have a hard time thinking of a better looking sedan except the tesla. Many critics seem to call it bland or boring but I think it's understated, handsome and well proportioned in the tradition of past 5s like the e34. Most recent competitors appear over styled and look like theyre trying too hard- that includes the Maserati ghibli.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:

Love your posts. You are a true ///M Fanatic

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 01-23-2014, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 13 ActiveHybrid5
Sequel = The Other ONE

Current:
14 smart electric drive
14 MB E350
13 BMW ActiveHybrid5
Past:
85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec
BMW CCA Member #457884
Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Love your posts. You are a true ///M Fanatic
Thanks! - from one ///M Fanatic to another - I do love BMWs and ///M. Your comment is meaningful and especially appreciated.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
Quote:
So I checked one out again, to digest it a bit better.

Headroom seems IDENTICAL to my 5er, I guess bittersweet. Still too cramped as I'd like some inches above my head like a normal person so I don't have to feel like driving my car is a safety hazard, but livable. Maaaybe it had a tiny bit more headroom actually, but not sure. I echo ND in that I wish the steering will did come out a liiiiitle bit more and could especially go a little lower as that would help me be more comfortable with the backrest far back (a must for me to have adequate headroom). Considering I need to "G Ride" the car with the backrest far back, I noticed the headrest is a bit further back than the 5ers, mainly because it doesn't have the option to come forward like the 5ers, which may make the car a little less "safe" in the event of a rear collision, considering with the seat back you don't get as much neck support.

Interior: I echo a lot of what ND said here, and the car I sat in DID have the extended leather panels which are an expensive option. WITH all the extended leather I'd say the interior is about on par with an F10. The screen is actually not as crappy as I'd thought, it's actually huge (bigger than the BMW which surprised me, never did my cars screen seem even remotely "small" until I got back in it) though I like BMW's tactful placement of it in that it's more wide than long. iDrive and the graphics on the BMW are clearly more sophisticated and high quality and I hate car touchscreens, I prefer the iDrive knob, but considering what I WOULD want a Maser for, it would't be a dealbreaker, I don't think. I just hate that it's so notably "Chrysler" (i.e cheap I guess).

Considering the extended leather model I found to be maybe on par overall with the F10 interior, I'm weary of the normal interior, i.e the one with the bare plastic dash and door panels (which would have no stitching at all, btw), considering this car uses pretty cheap plastics everywhere where the plastics are bare.

The UNDERLYING quality is no comparison, however: That goes all the way to the F10. When I say that the extended-leather Ghibli interior is "on par" with the F10, I mean that the fancy/cushy extras bring it up to speed even considering its lacking underlying/fundamental qualities.

The switchgear on the Ghibli is a joke, total Chrysler part, feels like an un-substantial, hard, light ("full of air") piece, the headlight switch and surrounding pieces/knobs, also Chrysler pieces, feel like something fit for a child's toy. The plastic on the lower B Pillar also feel like Fischer Price quality (though it feels cheap in every car these days in that location, even the F10, the F10's is textured much nicer).

The F10 knobs and switches and SAT gearswitch all give a much higher quality impression of precision, substance, etc. However other than a few pieces, the Ghibli's may not be enough for me to completely write the car off, IF it drives "better" than the F10. Again, I fear how the "base" interior of the Ghibli will look/feel as without the extended stuff I don't know how it could compare to the F10 considering even with its underlying setbacks, it will lack some "fluff".... I'm just hoping not too much fluff. One thing I did like is that even the non alcantara headliner was this plush/thick "cotton" material.

The seats are also nice. However it clearly doesn't use anything near premium grade Italian leather as the car smelled just like any other mass market luxury car with leather.

I heard from some guys on the Ghibli board that the doors sounded kind of cheap to shut, however to me they had kind of that Mercedes "metal on metal" clank. One thing I hate is that the doors are very heavy on the Ghibli, like any other car compared to the F10 who's doors are feather light. I know some people mistake "light" doors for weakness, but it's far from the case on a car as solid and safe as the F10.... it shows a more advanced material construction, as the F10 uses aluminum doors that are both very light and very strong. The Ghibli clearly uses a more normal high strength steel, which is strong, but not light. Maybe being frameless contributes to its heaviness?

Design: Once again, it's 3/3 in leaving me somewhat underwhelmed in person. I mean, it IS "nice" I think, but a little awkward and disjointed like ND said. Though I'm 100% certain that I will see some on the road and have my socks knocked off, like I am with some pics/vids. Point being, it's unlike the F10's well-balanced design, more in favor of a very "angle specific" one, not to mention light-specific. It will look nondescript in some settings, but look quite "exotic" in some, I'm sure. The big issue is the Kia rear, with those cheapo taillights. They are kind of sporty and give a utilitarian vibe (maybe something Maserati consciously wants to get across?) but not very luxurious or premium in aura. Somehow I don't mind them too much anymore, though.

All in all, I'm still set on the car being a big prospect for me, namely just to get this kind of faux "entry exotic" thing out of my system, MAYBE. I will have a hard time cutting any kind of check for a car that I feel I'm getting for purely superfluous reasons, if that really seems to be the case (it certainly somewhat is, as you are paying a big premium for the brand and to not have too many others looking exactly like you). However, price would be a huge factor, more-so than I thought before. They'd have to be discounted heavily and show within a year that resale isn't going to tank like previous Masers (which I don't think it would as it's a cheaper car and hopefully much more reliable/durable).

The big question is, is it better than the F10? Does it look better? I'd say no, and no, at best a tie, which honestly may be enough for me IF I'm looking to switch things up just for the sake of it so I can learn/experience something then come running back to BMW. For a price, of course, and I can't see myself paying much more for this than a comparable 5er, which may be the issue when it comes down to it. Once I see more on the road I can make a better verdict on how the design fares in comparison, but no Sedan out there is as timeless, balanced and organic as the F10, kind of a modern classic look. The Ghibli tries for a different approach, which it will be judged upon in due time.

Anyway, hopefully that's coherent enough. That's my current state of Ghibli ramble.
Amazing review.Thanks. If I were you I would keep your 2013 535i. Thats the car I will get next anyway and I have lots of experience with Alfas, Volvos, MBs,Lancias,Fiats & others. The F10 isnt perfect but the quality is certainly substantial. And, I dont like V6s or 4 bangers either. Thats me....
Old 01-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler View Post
Amazing review.Thanks. If I were you I would keep your 2013 535i. Thats the car I will get next anyway and I have lots of experience with Alfas, Volvos, MBs,Lancias,Fiats & others. The F10 isnt perfect but the quality is certainly substantial. And, I dont like V6s or 4 bangers either. Thats me....
Thanks, yeah I would really do it but my lease is up at the end of the year (got one of those 2 year leases). Plus I started treating my car like a utilitarian tool, stopped being anal-retentive about it therefore in my twisted OCD mind I feel it's too "tainted" by my un-caring nature for it now to keep for a longer haul.

I guess we'll see what happens. I do know this, a lot will depend on how Maserati discounts the Ghibli's by the end of this year when I'm in the market. Already guys are reporting $4-$5K off and they just hit dealers, I'm assuming those should get much better when the 2015's hit the lots and Winter Sales start running amuck and FIAT gets more desperate to keep up with the BMW's and M-B's of the segment who sell in hoards and get massive discounts.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Thanks, yeah I would really do it but my lease is up at the end of the year (got one of those 2 year leases). Plus I started treating my car like a utilitarian tool, stopped being anal-retentive about it therefore in my twisted OCD mind I feel it's too "tainted" by my un-caring nature for it now to keep for a longer haul.

I guess we'll see what happens. I do know this, a lot will depend on how Maserati discounts the Ghibli's by the end of this year when I'm in the market. Already guys are reporting $4-$5K off and they just hit dealers, I'm assuming those should get much better when the 2015's hit the lots and Winter Sales start running amuck and FIAT gets more desperate to keep up with the BMW's and M-B's of the segment who sell in hoards and get massive discounts.
K-A

Did you do a test drive yet? Also this car doesn't come with any kind of Safety Systems like Blind Spot Monitor, Lane Departure Warning,..etc

I guess you will be friends with the Maserati Technician later

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadddd View Post
K-A

Did you do a test drive yet? Also this car doesn't come with any kind of Safety Systems like Blind Spot Monitor, Lane Departure Warning,..etc

I guess you will be friends with the Maserati Technician later
Not yet but based on reviews I'm thinking it'll be hit and miss VS the F10. Tighter and sportier but lacking in isolation/insulation.

Yes, if it's like every Maserati before it, being on a first name and quick-dial basis with the Tech is a reality.

Not sure if it has those options, probably not, but I don't usually get those anyway unless they'd be bundled in a package that I want for other things.

I did go and take my friend to look at another one today, and also drove a Tesla Model S recently.... gotta say I find it hard to impossible to find a better all-arounder, including value, than the 5er.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:36 AM
Dark Knight

Asked a guy on the Ghibli board how he felt about his two cars in detail (F10 VS Ghibli) and he gave a very enlightening and helpful answer. Bodes very impressively for the F10, ESPECIALLY since he has a 2012 which is several notches beneath the 2014 LCI 550i (or even 2013 for that matter), and is an XI so doesn't get the M suspension which would certainly help close the handling gap. His comments about the F10 interior reiterate why I think it's really THE best overall interior I've experienced in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesunglass View Post
Specs of the 2 cars:

2012 550xi M sport, Carbon Black, Black interior (has all options except head-up display, Bang & Olufsen Sound System and night-vision camera)

Ghibli S Q4
Blue Emozione
Tan
Caliper Blu
19 Proteo
Ebano Trim
Extended Leather
Premium Sound
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Sport Package

... and here is what I think of the 2 cars

Look: Both cars are beautiful as 550xi with M sport package definitely stands out from normal 5 series. Ghibli, of course it's a Maserati and it's a head turner.

Interior Quality: In terms of quality, I would say 550xi wins. It has better finish on the inside and feels more luxurious. Control panels and buttons all seems to be of better quality. The buttons layouts are also easier to use in 550xi while driving. Maserati needs to steal iDrive from BMW!
One thing that Ghibli wins in the interior, is the leather. You are surrounded with more leather that 550xi and it does feel like Italian.

Exterior Quality: I would say 550xi has better quality here as well mainly because of the doors. Doors close quietly and smoothly (it even has soft close). The finishes around the doors is of better quality as well. The doors are heavier in 550xi too, so it feels like luxury car, while Ghibli's door is light and close with a cheap sound.

Reliability: 550xi wins, I had very few issues with BMW, but with Ghibli I already have couple of issues ending up in dealer's lot.

Noise: Again 550xi wins in terms of cabin quietness. I can definitely hear more noise from outside in Ghibli.

Audio Sound: Both cars have what's called "premium sounds", middle level package. 550xi wins here as well. As many have already complained, Ghibli doesn't have bass at all.

Exhaust note: Ghibli wins, there is no comparison on this as 550xi doesn't make any exhaust note at all compared to Ghibli. But I was thinking to install some Dinan's or even BMW OEM performance exhaust on it, which might bring the 550xi to the level where I can compare them.

Speed: Both cars are about the same in terms of the 0-60. But as you may know 550xi is V8 and I can feel it has 2 more cylinders, but Maserati did a very good job matching V6 against it.

Driving and handling:
550xi = more comfort and good handling.
Ghibli = not as comfort as 550xi but better handling and more fun to drive
550xi has both of comfort and sportiness that you would expect from a German car. It's not as fund as Ghibli in terms of driving, but it performs well.
With Ghibli I can more feel the road and feel more confident when driving. It handles better and sounds better! but I had few complains from my friends who had ride on Ghibli saying they prefer 550xi when seating on the rear.

To summarize, I think 550xi has better built quality and it's more reliable. Driving is as fun as you would normally expect from a BMW, and has tons of features that's not available in Ghibli. I would stick with 550xi if you care about technologies and interior coziness, often ride the car with people in the back or prefer quiet cabin and less attention from public.
Ghibli has its typical Maserati's quirks, but it's unique and has that feeling like I'm in a special car. If you want to hear those exhaust note, have fun driving not caring what other people in the rear seats think, go with Ghibli. Ghibli is definitely more of a driving car rather than a pure luxury car like from other Germans cars.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:36 AM
Dark Knight

Asked a guy on the Ghibli board how he felt about his two cars in detail (F10 VS Ghibli) and he gave a very enlightening and helpful answer. Bodes very impressively for the F10, ESPECIALLY since he has a 2012 which is several notches beneath the 2014 LCI 550i (or even 2013 for that matter), and is an XI so doesn't get the M suspension which would certainly help close the handling gap. His comments about the F10 interior reiterate why I think it's really THE best overall interior I've experienced in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesunglass View Post
Specs of the 2 cars:

2012 550xi M sport, Carbon Black, Black interior (has all options except head-up display, Bang & Olufsen Sound System and night-vision camera)

Ghibli S Q4
Blue Emozione
Tan
Caliper Blu
19 Proteo
Ebano Trim
Extended Leather
Premium Sound
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Sport Package

... and here is what I think of the 2 cars

Look: Both cars are beautiful as 550xi with M sport package definitely stands out from normal 5 series. Ghibli, of course it's a Maserati and it's a head turner.

Interior Quality: In terms of quality, I would say 550xi wins. It has better finish on the inside and feels more luxurious. Control panels and buttons all seems to be of better quality. The buttons layouts are also easier to use in 550xi while driving. Maserati needs to steal iDrive from BMW!
One thing that Ghibli wins in the interior, is the leather. You are surrounded with more leather that 550xi and it does feel like Italian.

Exterior Quality: I would say 550xi has better quality here as well mainly because of the doors. Doors close quietly and smoothly (it even has soft close). The finishes around the doors is of better quality as well. The doors are heavier in 550xi too, so it feels like luxury car, while Ghibli's door is light and close with a cheap sound.

Reliability: 550xi wins, I had very few issues with BMW, but with Ghibli I already have couple of issues ending up in dealer's lot.

Noise: Again 550xi wins in terms of cabin quietness. I can definitely hear more noise from outside in Ghibli.

Audio Sound: Both cars have what's called "premium sounds", middle level package. 550xi wins here as well. As many have already complained, Ghibli doesn't have bass at all.

Exhaust note: Ghibli wins, there is no comparison on this as 550xi doesn't make any exhaust note at all compared to Ghibli. But I was thinking to install some Dinan's or even BMW OEM performance exhaust on it, which might bring the 550xi to the level where I can compare them.

Speed: Both cars are about the same in terms of the 0-60. But as you may know 550xi is V8 and I can feel it has 2 more cylinders, but Maserati did a very good job matching V6 against it.

Driving and handling:
550xi = more comfort and good handling.
Ghibli = not as comfort as 550xi but better handling and more fun to drive
550xi has both of comfort and sportiness that you would expect from a German car. It's not as fund as Ghibli in terms of driving, but it performs well.
With Ghibli I can more feel the road and feel more confident when driving. It handles better and sounds better! but I had few complains from my friends who had ride on Ghibli saying they prefer 550xi when seating on the rear.

To summarize, I think 550xi has better built quality and it's more reliable. Driving is as fun as you would normally expect from a BMW, and has tons of features that's not available in Ghibli. I would stick with 550xi if you care about technologies and interior coziness, often ride the car with people in the back or prefer quiet cabin and less attention from public.
Ghibli has its typical Maserati's quirks, but it's unique and has that feeling like I'm in a special car. If you want to hear those exhaust note, have fun driving not caring what other people in the rear seats think, go with Ghibli. Ghibli is definitely more of a driving car rather than a pure luxury car like from other Germans cars.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Not surprising - the Maserati sounds better and is more fun to drive while the bmw has better quality. They both seem to play to the stereotypes of German and Italian cars.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
k-a, you sound like you really want that maserati aura. I can understand. If you had a lot of disposable cash, the decision might be easier. Still, you will get another bmw for your next lease. I would not trust a maserati for at least of few years of proven reliability and resale. That's why the lease is so high. I can guarantee you that they want a lot of money upfront to get that $1,200/month payment. The leasing company can't take the resale risk on such a gamble. Practical the maserati is not.
+1
Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Stuart in Houston

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
However as with most Italian things it will frustrate the crap out of you but you can't help loving it.
Thought you were talking about my wife for a minute there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
So today, I had a huge work meeting that I have been prepping for two weeks for. It went well and I was out fairly early and there was no way in hell I was going back to work after that. My ride home takes me past dealers of every high end Marque except Bentle, Ferrari and Rolls. So I decided to stop in and seeing what this was all about.
Which dealer has it? I'd like to take a look at one, just out of curiosity.

Prior BMWs
2009 X5 4.8 White (w/hitch)
2007 550i Monaco Blue, Sport
2004 X5 4.4i
2003 540i M-Sport w/Dinan mods (last of the great E39's)
2002 X5 3.0
2000 540i Sport
1995 525i Sport
1991 325is
1986 325es