Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Opening doors with"special knowledge"

I was reading the owners manual about the convenient opening feature and came across the next paragraph about locking the car with someone inside...
It said that you need "special knowledge" to open the door If you are locked inside with the remote. Does anyone know what this"special knowledge" is?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app
1995 525xit (gone)
Ads by Google
Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Pretty sure you hit the unlock button and then pull the door handle twice.

I'll look at my manual and see what I can find though
Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
It said that you need "special knowledge" to open the door If you are locked inside with the remote. Does anyone know what this"special knowledge" is?

I think it means that if you somehow lock yourself inside a car with the keys in your hand and you can't find a way to get out, then you must be "special".

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealousofmywife View Post
I think it means that if you somehow lock yourself inside a car with the keys in your hand and you can't find a way to get out, then you must be "special".

I thought he meant locked inside by the remote. Not you're sitting inside and hit the lock button
Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda

I read the OPs question again.
It could be understood either way- locked inside with the remote in hand, or locked inside by someone with the remote outside.
Either situation seems entirely ridiculous, however.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 PM
boosted and loving it

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport coupe
The special knowledge language refers to the fact that there is a certain sequence to unlock from inside that BMW makes difficult to learn, to keep thieves from reaching in a partially opened window, and unlocking the car, once it has been locked from outside. The switches on the doors won't work. You have to use the button on the dash.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Re: Opening doors with"special knowledge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealousofmywife View Post
I read the OPs question again.
It could be understood either way- locked inside with the remote in hand, or locked inside by someone with the remote outside.
Either situation seems entirely ridiculous, however.

Not necessarily ridiculous...

OP here... my specific question refers to the warning triangle note at the bottom of page 32 of the owners manual. It is not a made up scenario, but rather a specific warning about locking the car from the outside with people in it. If those people want to unlock and get out of the car, it appears they need some "special knowledge." I'm just asking what that is.

1995 525xit (gone)
Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
I believe they are referring to the fact that you would need to know that you can unlock the doors by pushing the unlock button which is oddly placed on the center dash and not on the door itself like most cars or to pull the door handle twice (once to unlock and twice to open) to get out, ie 'special knowledge'.

I'm just guessing because in order to test this theory out, I would need to have my special needs son use the remote to lock the car with me inside (which may take a few tries to punch the right key) and since the alarm is set when you use the remote to lock the car (or use the Comfort Access outside door handle to lock) I would then assume that as I move to either push the unlock button or to double pull the door handle, I would set off the alarm thereby causing slight hearing loss to myself and anyone else standing nearby. I would hope that by pushing the unlock button or double pulling the door handle that those actions would turn off the alarm, but again I'm guessing.

DeeDee
Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM

You can disable the motion alarm when locking the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disablealarm.png
Views:	43
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	404411  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skndchanzs View Post
I believe they are referring to the fact that you would need to know that you can unlock the doors by pushing the unlock button which is oddly placed on the center dash and not on the door itself like most cars or to pull the door handle twice (once to unlock and twice to open) to get out, ie 'special knowledge'.

DeeDee
Unfortunately, with the X1 and with almost all newer BMWs out there, if you lock the car with your remote, it is virtually impossible to unlock it from the inside no matter which buttons you press. This was designed as a theft deterrence -- A thief can break a window but reaching into the door handle will not allow him to open the door. He will have to climb in and out of the window.

The "special knowledge" is knowing that you can fold the rear seats to find the tab in the tailgate. Then pull it in order to open the tailgate manually, as described on P. 36 of the U.S. manual. Alternatively, you can buy a window breaker and let know your relatives where it is and how to use it in case of an emergency. Think that kicking the window from the inside will break it? Wrong! Get a window breaker because it can be used in many situations to save your (or a loved one's) life.

It is important to NEVER lock anyone inside a BMW accidentally as it can result in death. This was the unfortunate case of this 14 year girl in California this past September whose brother wasn't aware of this feature in their car.

BMWs are wonderful cars but they can be over engineered. Be familiar with your car. Do read the manual!

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 10-28-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM

I don't care for expensive unitaskers unless nothing else can do the job. Perhaps I'll just leave a hammer in the back seat

Used to keep a hatchet in my truck, maybe I'll do that again
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM

^^^
Whatever works for you. But I hardly find a $15 bucks window breaker "expensive".
Old 10-28-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 sDrive28i xLine
My wife and I just tested this...she locked me in the car and walked away about 30 feet. I was able to get out of the car just by pulling the inside handle twice. The alarm did go off, but that was it. Nothing different from normally unlocking the car.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Thank you ScottMZ3!

I was getting a little worried after reading several of the other posts. I don't plan on locking anyone inside the car but we do live in a semi rural area and stop off at the community mailbox several times a week. In an effort to increase my son's daily living skills, he takes the key fob (with the mailbox key attached) to get our mail leaving me behind in the car. I was starting to worry that he could accidentally lock me in and I wouldn't be able to get out unless I crawled through the back...... I could just imagine me trying to explain which button to push on the key fob with the car alarm going off and my son probably running in the opposite direction thinking he had done something wrong!

So 'special knowledge' is what I originally thought......push the oddly placed (for most Americans) door button on the dash or double pull the door handle.

I did read the article about the girl who died and that truly is a terrible thing. According to the article the car was a model from 1997; I'm thinking that there have been some improvements in the design since then???

DeeDee

Last edited by skndchanzs; 10-28-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
My wife and I just tested this...she locked me in the car and walked away about 30 feet. I was able to get out of the car just by pulling the inside handle twice. The alarm did go off, but that was it. Nothing different from normally unlocking the car.
I could be totally mistaken, but I believe you need to wait several minutes for the full locking mechanism to take effect. Yes, it could be part of the improvement of this feature to give a chance for someone already locked in the car to be able to get out. BMW unfortunately doesn't exactly detail in the manual how it works now. But the warning is there for a reason.