Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:56 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Is this the end?

Well, I took my 2007 X3 with AT in for its annual NH inspection. I mentioned to my SA that I heard a noise while turning left. Thinking it could be a bearing or maybe a suspension component, I braced myself for the typical $1000 repair.

I received a list/quote of items to be fixed.

1. Noise is rear differential failing. Replacement recommmended.
2. Oil pan leaks oil as does crank seal - recommnd repair.
3. Transfer case needs service.
4. Rear coil spring broken.

What is the cost for these repairs? $5000! Ouch!

I have 149000 miles on my X3. Trade-in value is $7000. Do I invest $5000 to keep my $7000 vehicle afloat (and probably see more repairs next year) or abandon ship and move on?

I spent the day looking at different cars - Mini, Nissan Juke and Maxima, Subaru Crosstrek, Ford Taurus and Escape. I also drove a loaner 320xi. My favorite of the bunch so far? 320xi for its quietness and power. The Mini was fun, my wofe liked it, except the road noise was way too much. The Subaru - no! Ford - no way! Nissan Maxima is a possibility, only since they have around $10000 in incentives, driving the price from $40000 to $30000 for a fully loaded car. It just does not handle nearly as well.

Still going to look at Mercedes CPO (C300 probably), Lexus and perhaps Acura. Not sure what else to consider.

I hate car shopping! I have to keep my payments low for now, which I another reason I am checking other marques.

Thoughts?

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Ads by Google
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I just bought a 2011 maxima. Its awesome.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:42 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Is this the end?

Acura TL? I hear incentives are pretty deep right now since they have a new model next year. Lots of car for the money, even at MSRP.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:53 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Acura TL? I hear incentives are pretty deep right now since they have a new model next year. Lots of car for the money, even at MSRP.
Yes, the TL is what I am considering. Hopefully will be able to test drive soon.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:55 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
I just bought a 2011 maxima. Its awesome.
The Maxima has an extra $2000 incentive for 5 more days per the dealer I went to. Priced around same as Altima.

The main thing I did not like is the CVT transmission - seems out of place on a sporty car.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
Is this the end?

I traded my Altima in for my current. X3, the cvt is cool but not sporty at all. The 2.5 is gutless, but the v6 might be better. I am a fan of Nissan have you considered infinity?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Is this the end?

Was the $5000 quote from a dealer or an Indy?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Well, I took my 2007 X3 with AT in for its annual NH inspection. I mentioned to my SA that I heard a noise while turning left. Thinking it could be a bearing or maybe a suspension component, I braced myself for the typical $1000 repair.

I have 149000 miles on my X3. Trade-in value is $7000. Do I invest $5000 to keep my $7000 vehicle afloat (and probably see more repairs next year) or abandon ship and move on?

I spent the day looking at different cars - Mini, Nissan Juke and Maxima, Subaru Crosstrek, Ford Taurus and Escape. I also drove a loaner 320xi. My favorite of the bunch so far? 320xi for its quietness and power. The Mini was fun, my wofe liked it, except the road noise was way too much. The Subaru - no! Ford - no way! Nissan Maxima is a possibility, only since they have around $10000 in incentives, driving the price from $40000 to $30000 for a fully loaded car. It just does not handle nearly as well.

Still going to look at Mercedes CPO (C300 probably), Lexus and perhaps Acura. Not sure what else to consider.

I hate car shopping! I have to keep my payments low for now, which I another reason I am checking other marques.

Thoughts?
Take it to another garage for a quote: A 2007 should not be in any way be finished: (and yes do not take the advice of an Altima--you will be seriously disappointed): The lexus is a worthy bet ( and a V6 Toyota Venza would be OK)

Last edited by blackice613; 10-26-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:40 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabby544 View Post
I traded my Altima in for my current. X3, the cvt is cool but not sporty at all. The 2.5 is gutless, but the v6 might be better. I am a fan of Nissan have you considered infinity?

I drove a 2.5 Altima before (my parents had one) - did not like.

Yes, Infinity would be a possibility!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangermouseX3 View Post
Was the $5000 quote from a dealer or an Indy?

Dealer.

I do plan to get an Indy comparison. I think, based on previous experience, the net price will be similar. I get 20% off prices at the dealer for my BMWCCA club discount. That usually makes up for the labor rate differences. Plus I get a free loaner from the dealer while it is being serviced.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:46 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackice613 View Post
Take it to another garage for a quote: A 2007 should not be in any way be finished: (and yes do not take the advice of an Altima--you will be seriously disappointed): The lexus is a worthy bet ( and a V6 Toyota Venza would be OK)
The thing is after I cough up $5000 in repairs, the ball joints will probably need replacement next year (another $1000). Getting to higher miles. Also worried when AT goes - about $6000 I believe!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Re: Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post

Thoughts?
Here's my advice. If a rear diff were failing, why would it make noise only when turning left? A diff that is failing will make noise all the time, not just while turning in one particular direction.
More likely to be a wheel bearing in my opinion. What's your fluid change history on the diffs?

Live with oil leaks if you can. Put cardboard down in your garage. It won't hurt anything.

What's your service history on the transfer case? Has fluid been changed? I wouldn't consider it failing unless youre getting the AWD DSC lights on the dash.
A fluid change is a good idea but should run around 150 to have it done. 45 if you do it yourself.

The rear coil spring is insanely easy to replace. Probably a 20 minute job. No need to remove anything other than the rear wheel. Should be around 200 to have it done at an Indy.

I would take it somewhere else and only mention the noise and see what they say. Don't mention the dealers recommendations. I'm thinking you can get the wheel bearing fixed , diffs and transfer case fluid changes done, and rear spring replaced for around 600 dollars.

Theres no way I'd sink another 5,000 into any vehicle with that many miles. I would invest a few hundred though. We just hit 152,000 on our X3 and any any vehicle with that many miles will need attention.

Just recently did my front and rear diff fluid change, transfer case fluid and automatic transmission filter and fluid changes again. Cost of doing it myself is around 300 for fluids and filter.

BTW, I also really dislike the CVT transmissions in a lot if these new cars. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:12 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukas161 View Post
Here's my advice. If a rear diff were failing, why would it make noise only when turning left? A diff that is failing will make noise all the time, not just while turning in one particular direction.
More likely to be a wheel bearing in my opinion. What's your fluid change history on the diffs?

Live with oil leaks if you can. Put cardboard down in your garage. It won't hurt anything.

What's your service history on the transfer case? Has fluid been changed? I wouldn't consider it failing unless youre getting the AWD DSC lights on the dash.
A fluid change is a good idea but should run around 150 to have it done. 45 if you do it yourself.

The rear coil spring is insanely easy to replace. Probably a 20 minute job. No need to remove anything other than the rear wheel. Should be around 200 to have it done at an Indy.

I would take it somewhere else and only mention the noise and see what they say. Don't mention the dealers recommendations. I'm thinking you can get the wheel bearing fixed , diffs and transfer case fluid changes done, and rear spring replaced for around 600 dollars.

Theres no way I'd sink another 5,000 into any vehicle with that many miles. I would invest a few hundred though. We just hit 152,000 on our X3 and any any vehicle with that many miles will need attention.

Just recently did my front and rear diff fluid change, transfer case fluid and automatic transmission filter and fluid changes again. Cost of doing it myself is around 300 for fluids and filter.

BTW, I also really dislike the CVT transmissions in a lot if these new cars. Good luck and keep us posted!
Transfer case fluid changed around 75k miles, as was diff fluid and AT fluid and filter.

Noise is louder on turn but noisier in general. Matches other posts I have seen on X3 with failed diffs. Definitely not a wheel bearing.

Oil leaks on motor pretty bad - could live with for a while but definitely will get worse.

Had dealer replace spring - about $350 but if I took home to do have to pay for another inspection. Not worth saving $100 for time involved (I have to work today anyway).

So still shopping right now. May go Maxima due to huge incentives and overall reliability.

Just saw a used MDX too - looks nice so will test drive and see!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I've determined the "lifetime" of my X3 as well...

I think given all I've had to go thru this year, I've driven my X3 to its "lifetime" of 160k mls (260tkm). However, I have no viable or affordable alternatives at this point but to keep my X3 afloat because the Mk7 Golf will not be out until next summer and the Mk6 has been out of production seit April 2013.

In 2013, I have so far spent $3500 in repairs and maintenance, of which

$2250 was repairs:

CCV
Ignition Coils
Front left control arm; my right one is going out too but I could only afford to repair the left. These lasted only 60k mls (100tkm)
Coolant expansion tank and a couple hoses

$1.250 were for items that were not related to the age of the X3 (someone broke the electric folding mirror, and the front brakes/rotors were replaced due to normal wear & tear)

However, I fear the transfer case is the next thing to go, and my oil filter housing gasket leak is also a repair I cannot afford right now.

Problem is, I don't have many viable alternatives. The new Golf isn't out yet. There's no TDI 4-doors with 3 pedals on the market right now. I won't buy a car without xenons, yet most cars under the $26k-ish range do not have them as options. And while I'm not asking for something as "fun-to-drive" as the X3, I still demand a thought-out interior, strong brakes, the ability to handle curves, and absolute stability at 170+ km/h (110+mph). Not a lot of those on this side of the Atlantic.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Up in snow country -- have you considered the Volvo? Both daughters have XC's 70&90 and (in spite of having no snow here) love them. The newer XC60 is very X3 like and you might find that interesting. I would avoid the "C" class and go up to the "E" class -- if you are thinking of CPO M-B's. Not that the "C" is a bad car, it isn't, but it is just too small IMHO. The "E" is just about perfect size-wise. You might have to get a year earlier to get the same cost, but they are sweet rides. What about a Q5, those are quite nice and although not cheap (they seem to hold their value -- at least around here) seem to be very reliable. The good news is you have many choices now, far more than back in '06 when I bought my X3 and that really is a good thing!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Is this the end?

Dave that's a healthy list of repairs. Out of curiosity have you replaced the water pump and t stat yet? If not, I think I would side with finding a new one as well since that is easily another $1200 and you are close to EOL if that is still original.

If you have replaced that pair already I don't know....the rear diff or bearings is the big deal that had to be fixed but that repair alone isn't astronomical. The second is the engine seal. What was your oil change frequency?

If you are moving to new have you driven the X1 yet? It's a great value if lightly optioned. I priced one out recently for about 35k compared to the 320 I optioned at 38k. I prefer that I can order a 320 with a manual though.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by x3brian; 10-27-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:06 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Dave that's a healthy list of repairs. Out of curiosity have you replaced the water pump and t stat yet? If not, I think I would side with finding a new one as well since that is easily another $1200 and you are close to EOL if that is still original.

If you have replaced that pair already I don't know....the rear diff or bearings is the big deal that had to be fixed but that repair alone isn't astronomical. The second is the engine seal. What was your oil change frequency?

If you are moving to new have you driven the X1 yet? It's a great value if lightly optioned. I priced one out recently for about 35k compared to the 320 I optioned at 38k. I prefer that I can order a 320 with a manual though.

Keep us posted.

Actually an unhealthy list if repairs. Makes my head hurt to think about it!

Water pump is original - just replaced my wife's that failed on her 530xi at 110000 miles.

Oil changes every 7500 miles. I don't think that would have caused leaks.

I guess I am gun shy on the x-drive right now. I drive so far and am very disappointed that so much happened at once. That is why I am leaning towards a car for my long commute. A FWD with snows should work great.

Just confirmed discounts on Maxima. $10k off MSRP. So under $30k fully loaded. Would work well as a nice commuting car.

Almost cheaper for new than used!

Still searching though.

Member of BMWCCA!

Last edited by madurodave; 10-27-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I'm not sold on AWD; seems like extra complexity and more problematic than just a simple set of snows. My next car will in all likelihood not be AWD.

I'm not knowledgeable about larger cars like Maxima or Taurus. However, the Ford Focus hatch is a terrific car, as is the Escape although that can get pricey. You can still get a VW Tiguan base with a manual gearbox, and then use the money you saved to retrofit (without too much difficulty) items like the uprated radio or xenon headlamps.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:37 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I'm not sold on AWD; seems like extra complexity and more problematic than just a simple set of snows. My next car will in all likelihood not be AWD.

I'm not knowledgeable about larger cars like Maxima or Taurus. However, the Ford Focus hatch is a terrific car, as is the Escape although that can get pricey. You can still get a VW Tiguan base with a manual gearbox, and then use the money you saved to retrofit (without too much difficulty) items like the uprated radio or xenon headlamps.
Unfortunately, have to go Auto due to wife. Only MT is my Z4.

Didn't like Ford - too plastic-y! I know they all have plastic but did not like.

Nissan Maxima actually has pretty good reliability - especially compared to BMW. Fun factor much less, but will mostly be my wife's car. As mentioned, her brother has had Nissans and loves them.

At this point, since I have 2 other BMWs, I think a "just change the oil" type car is what I need.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
If you like the X3, have you thought about selling it for $7k and investing the $5k on top of that into a low mile E83?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:13 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
If you like the X3, have you thought about selling it for $7k and investing the $5k on top of that into a low mile E83?
Yes, that is definitely an option. Just need to keep payments in check.

Hope if I do that it is not another repeat of the same thing!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Where is a 2007 X3 worth $7000? I assume they've knocked $5000 off the value for the poorly judged repairs.

If I were a gambling man, the misdiagnosis, the high repair quote and the eagerness to trade you up, I'd bet this was a main dealer.

Find somewhere that won't rip you off just for walking through the doors.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Is this the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Where is a 2007 X3 worth $7000? I assume they've knocked $5000 off the value for the poorly judged repairs.

If I were a gambling man, the misdiagnosis, the high repair quote and the eagerness to trade you up, I'd bet this was a main dealer.

Find somewhere that won't rip you off just for walking through the doors.
Take a look at KBB for trade in value and you will see the light!

My 149000 miles is pretty high for a 2007.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post

there are alot of bulletproof clever AWD systems, like in audi and infiniti and even acuras(even though they are unpredictable in snow).
Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 AM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Find a good indy shop with reasonable rates, have him make a list of parts you need, source the parts from salvage yards in great condition and repair it at half the cost.

A diff should never really fail, so getting another one that works, what are the odds it will also fail. There is for sure an X3 out there that got rear ended (I know, I bought the side mirrors off it!) that has all the parts you need intact.

The math with what you know is : if you can get something AS goog AS the X3 by trading it in AS IS and putting $5k on top, swap it!
BUT:
$5k to spend and you ll have an X3 that is worth $7k (after you spend the $5k!) if you trade in now, but if you dont, who cares?
If you get a maxima or what ever else (new TL..) it will depreciate more than $5k after the first month. So unless this is a good chance for you to change car, fix it cheaper and keep it.