Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Test drove both '13 and '14 X5 - conundrum!

Coming from 2 generations of E90's I stepped into my BMW dealer:

I took both X's out yesterday - 2013 X5 loaded just the way I want @ $64K and then a 2014 X5 Sdrive loaded more than I wanted @ $64K. Both had multi contour seats (a must have requirement for my aging body) but the equipment levels on both differed considerably....

Initially I figured the E70 would win out due to the hydraulic steering and stiffer suspension (Sport suspension) and the F15 would lose out on the suspension and steering fearing that it would be soft and numb as the F3x series.

Nope - preconceived notions are shattered for me!

The F15 performed flawlessley - yes the steering was a bit softer and easier but the active controls (Eco, Comfort, Sport) selection took away most of the slop and numbness. Pointed well and drove very well even with EPS.

Coupled that with the Driver Assistance Plus vibrating the steering wheel warning you of a lane change or blind zone car in the field, I have to say that the steering in the F15 is almost as good as HPS!

Suspension was on par and setting it to comfort or Eco made the ride nice and easy - great for touring. But when you want to feel the road, corner into a turn or perform responsive in stop/go traffic - the Sport mode makes driving more fun in the F15!

I wish BMW would have changed the steering and suspension on their other cars to that of the F15 - I think that would win over a lot of people who left the brand....

Now I am in a conundrum - can't decide on which one - money factors are identical.

I love the sDrive F15 - handles so well almost like my 335 rear wheel drive. Because I have dealt with the sales manager, he was nice enough to offer $2K off plus $1K BMWFS loyalty as a returning customer. Residual was 59%.....

But the incentives on the E70 - $9000 below MSRP - 59% residual makes it so difficult to decide!

Last edited by Pat_X5; 10-27-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-27-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing at the moment

Interested in your decision. I will be in the same exact situation in December.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d
You'll spend the entirety of your lease looking at newer F15s and wishing you had one.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:34 PM

That is a valid point for myself and the OP. However, if choosing an E70 you will be staring at thousands more in your bank account. Decisions, decisions.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Coming from 2 generations of E90's I stepped into my BMW dealer:

I took both X's out yesterday - 2013 X5 loaded just the way I want @ $64K and then a 2014 X5 Sdrive loaded more than I wanted @ $64K. Both had multi contour seats (a must have requirement for my aging body) but the equipment levels on both differed considerably....

Initially I figured the E70 would win out due to the hydraulic steering and stiffer suspension (Sport suspension) and the F15 would lose out on the suspension and steering fearing that it would be soft and numb as the F3x series.

Nope - preconceived notions are shattered for me!

The F15 performed flawlessley - yes the steering was a bit softer and easier but the active controls (Eco, Comfort, Sport) selection took away most of the slop and numbness. Pointed well and drove very well even with EPS.

Coupled that with the Driver Assistance Plus vibrating the steering wheel warning you of a lane change or blind zone car in the field, I have to say that the steering in the F15 is almost as good as HPS!

Suspension was on par and setting it to comfort or Eco made the ride nice and easy - great for touring. But when you want to feel the road, corner into a turn or perform responsive in stop/go traffic - the Sport mode makes driving more fun in the F15!

I wish BMW would have changed the steering and suspension on their other cars to that of the F15 - I think that would win over a lot of people who left the brand....

Now I am in a conundrum - can't decide on which one - money factors are identical.

I love the sDrive F15 - handles so well almost like my 335 rear wheel drive. Because I have dealt with the sales manager, he was nice enough to offer $2K off plus $1K BMWFS loyalty as a returning customer. Residual was 59%.....

But the incentives on the E70 - $9000 below MSRP - 59% residual makes it so difficult to decide!
If you are not hung up with a newest car on the block syndrome I would go with E70. I am assuming the lease deal will be approx $200 cheaper per month....
Old 10-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Yes at this point its up to you on whats a better deal for you personally. Cheaper lease deal but outgoing MY or Expensive lease deal but fresh MY. everything else is superfluous as your in SOCAL so RWD or AWD is out of the question. Personally if your gonna go with the F15, I would wait till one of the December builds so you can add traffic jam assistant.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Yes at this point its up to you on whats a better deal for you personally. Cheaper lease deal but outgoing MY or Expensive lease deal but fresh MY. everything else is superfluous as your in SOCAL so RWD or AWD is out of the question. Personally if your gonna go with the F15, I would wait till one of the December builds so you can add traffic jam assistant.
Plus two new colors available beg with dec production

Current Ride: 2014 X3 35 M Sport/AW/Chestnut/Fine Line Wave/Cold Weather/Driver Assistance with Top View/M Sport/Premium/Technology/Concierge/Rear Manual Shades/Premium Sound/Auto High Beam
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 10-27-2013, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: VW Jetta
F15 offers life saving security features that are not available on E70. Plus, F15 is technologically advanced. Plus you will drive the latest model. Go with F15 and treat yourself.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM

Thanks fellas for your input!

I had no idea there would be better features (Traffic Jam Assistant) which is life saver here in crowded Southern California driving.
Is that different than RTTI ?
Truly did enjoy the technological advances over the E70.

In southern California, I would only need the RWD (sDrive) so that would be even better on the pocketbook.

I think I will wait for the end of the year - 2014 - maybe something from the holiday event might entice me then too....

After all I will have to live with it for 3 years....
Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Traffic Jam Assistant helps you move the car automatically while keeping the car in center. It breaks and accelerates the car on its own as long as you keep at least one hand on the steering.

RTTI just offers traffic information that you can get with $100 Garmin GPS also. These two are totally different.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by staindsoul View Post
Interested in your decision. I will be in the same exact situation in December.

There wont be any E70s left by December. So consider your problem solved.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 10-29-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
There wont be any E70s left by December. So consider your problem solved.
What are you basing this on? Dealers around here have 40+ sitting on the lots.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Thanks fellas for your input!

I had no idea there would be better features (Traffic Jam Assistant) which is life saver here in crowded Southern California driving.
Is that different than RTTI ?
Truly did enjoy the technological advances over the E70.

In southern California, I would only need the RWD (sDrive) so that would be even better on the pocketbook.

I think I will wait for the end of the year - 2014 - maybe something from the holiday event might entice me then too....

After all I will have to live with it for 3 years....
Your heart is pretty much set on the F15 by your posts LOL. The E70 is probably on your mind due to your mind lol.

if your only gonna be keeping this vehicle on lease then F15 all the way. Traffic jam is the next big thing on the semi autonomous front. Its like the new S-classes self-driving mode but at slower speeds.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM
UDMx2

Mein Auto: E93 335/F15 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckm1515 View Post
Plus two new colors available beg with dec production
Any word on what those two new color choices are going to be? The lack of interesting color options is one of the reasons I'm holding off on placing my order. Hoping that they bring back custom color ordering for them, but not holding my breathe that this will be any time soon.
2002 E46 330cic Topaz/Grey/Brown (retired)
Old 10-29-2013, 05:17 PM

Only issue with Traffic Jam assist is you have to keep the hands on the steering wheel. I get it, but sure would be nice to read Flipboard in traffic
Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawskyb View Post
Any word on what those two new color choices are going to be? The lack of interesting color options is one of the reasons I'm holding off on placing my order. Hoping that they bring back custom color ordering for them, but not holding my breathe that this will be any time soon.
Mineral silver, glacial silver and imperial blue

Current Ride: 2014 X3 35 M Sport/AW/Chestnut/Fine Line Wave/Cold Weather/Driver Assistance with Top View/M Sport/Premium/Technology/Concierge/Rear Manual Shades/Premium Sound/Auto High Beam
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 10-29-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckm1515 View Post
Mineral silver, glacial silver and imperial blue

Awwww - was hoping for Estoril Blue - my favorite I had on my 328xi years ago...

E70 status:
So now I am waiting to hear from 3 dealers nearby who will give me their best shot at pricing from their extensive selection of X5 still on the lot and 2 days to go for their month end numbers....

FYI: Just between the 3 dealers I am dealing with, they have over 40+ 2013 X5 still on the lot. And these three are the only ones with Multi Contour seating (a must for me).

F15 status:
Dealers are telling me to wait till 2014 for the Traffic Jam Assistant (thanks newbimmerx5) for such a useful feature for those that live in constantly freeway congested Southern California.
And the dealers are all saying that multi contour seating will definitely require a custom order which is fine with me.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
I note the F15 you were looking at was RWD. It seems strange to buy an SUV that is not AWD but you do live in So Cal and SUVs are really just tall station wagons these days anyway.

If you do want RWD, its not available on the E70.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 AM

Wink

Ok, so I finally decided based on first year model vs. costs.
Thanks to everyone who gave their input and opinions.
It is finally nice to return to the X5 that I originally started with in 2001 (E53).

BTW: I found a qualified buyer to take over my current 335d lease so that made my decision to pull the trigger on an X5 a tough one.

The F15 the best I was able to find was $1K over invoice on a RWD sDrive 35i - $860 lease. Not quite the car I wanted - preferred diesel.

The E70 there were many to choose from - too many dealers have a lot of the E70 just sitting. So I chose the diesel again for the engine, exhaust growl and ooomph when accelerating off the line - $625 lease.

I figure I will just wait 2 years then put the E70 on SwapALease and get a new F15 diesel then - figuring any issues, complaints and other new model year problems are resolved by then. Should not be difficult to find someone to take over a 2 year old X5 with a payment as low as a loaded 3 series......

While both the F15 and E70 was considered cost wise and depreciation, I opted for the $13,000 discount off the E70 over the $3,500 discount off the F15.

So here is my baby for the next few years:
Old 11-05-2013, 06:17 AM

nice car. only catch in your deal was that you end up paying sales tax on E70 (now) and F15 (later) when you make the switch. The taxes alone are around $3000 (depends on state).

you got $13K off MSRP on E70? thats probably a steal.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Congrats on the new E70, love the Y spoke 20s.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
nice color choices

-> more pics at Flickr <-
Old 11-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Last of the Real X5s. Congrats

Why does this matter?