Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
which tire you guys recommend?

I have 2011 X5 diesel.
I need to change all 4 of my car's tires.. Original tires are Michelin.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...%20109H0/tires

Dealer: $1700
Costco: 1400
STS: $1600

I really don't want to spend that much((
What do you guys recommend?
Is Bridgestone OK ? and should I do it in Costco? (looks like they are cheaper and they rotate tries for free, free flat repair ...ect)
Any input (or experience) will be greatly appreciated..Thanks
Chuck
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Buy the best tire you can find. You own a $70k car. You MIGHT save $400 over two years and 40k miles...really????
Old 10-27-2013, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
Thanks
so Michelin is the best?
Is Costco ok to install?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
which tire you guys recommend?

Another tire thread, great...

I would advise you to go through a decision process as follows:
1. Is the car leased? If yes, just replace with what it came with cuz chances are that is what is specified in the terms of the lease. If you own the car then...
2. Do you need run flats? Most people hate the ride but in reality with 18 inchers that have a tall sidewall the benefits in case of a flat may outweigh the ride difference.
3. Visit TireRack.com and do some research or go to the tire rack sub forum under best of bimmefest and start reading.
4. Don't go cheap. Tires are the only thing connecting your car to the road.
5. Check owner reviews for tires you are considering, focus on BMW owner reviews.
6. Buy the best tire with the fewest compromises based on your driving needs and budget.

Alternatively you could search for "tire" or "tires". You will get lots of results. If you read any of these post you might conclude that tires are like politics. Everyone has an opinion and a preference for this or that brand or this or that type of tire, and they usually believe the rest is total crap, then make your decision based on someone's opinion.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
From personal experience, I would not deal with STS any more. Don't trust their mechanics, don't trust their tire mounting, they provide inferior service--even with something as simple as mounting a tire.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, Z4 3.0i
I historically have replaced stock tires with Nokian all season when they wear out and now running Nokian. The WRG3 is good for northeast light snow, but I had some traction issues in really big storms. Running dedicated Haks for snows and true summer all season. Take a look at link below. They run a bit more than what you are considering. I am not really fond of the Costco's and Walmart auto centers. Tend to do the tire swaps myself when I can and use the local non-BMW garage for tire swaps and mounting since I make an to get to know the local repair garage and shop local in my tiny town.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG3
Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 AM
Ja mei!

Mein Auto: X5
Since we are hitting below 30F here in Chicago already I changed from my staggered 333 20" Dueler setup (Front 275/40/20, rears 315/35/20) to the 335 19" setup with Conti DWS (255/50-19 all around).
Wow, what a difference. A quiet and smooth ride. Well, there is a lot of difference between the two setups, but wow, what a difference.

And just FYI: if you have RFTs and no spare, Costco won't put nonRFTs in your car. Apparently that's Costco Policy. Also interesting, they use Nitrogen instead of air.

When I started looking at the X5 the Sales Lady tried to charge me $50 for Nitrogen, I laughed hard and told her: get that stuff outta there, fill it with air and I will go to Costco to have them fill it with Nitrogen for me for free! Same as an experience I had at work: ordered sensors worth $25k and got charged $5 for shipping!
All I can say is: she lost a sale because of that. That really pissed me off! Especially when it is those little things...

Meh, and I moved on
Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d SAV
Replacement tires for 2012 staggered 20's X5 diesel

I had the pleasure of my X5 going from a competent handler to a squirrelly coke addict when the factory RF Dunlops wore to the wear indicators. Every pavement imperfection caused the fron tires to chase them. Rather annoying. Went to the dealer before the tires were that worn and had an alignment check-they said all was Kosher. I did not ask for a spec sheet, but read on-I should have waited around to see their results of the ghost alignment. Fast forward to me this week, completing research on tires for the Pacific Northwest and potential snow trips across the passes. I went with the Conti DWS tread-and out of the shop, it steers like a dream. Not an erg of wandering or chasing tar lines on the pavement, and speed bumps no longer rock my kidneys. I think they are marginally louder than the Dunlops at speed, but overall nice tires. No snow yet. But I can say that the NEW Contis hands down beat the PARTIALLY worn Dunlops by a wide margin. That being said, these tires will wear funny in the front just like the Dunlops, of course. I got an alignment the day after the tires were installed and there was a smattering of alignment specs on all four wheels which needed correction, Hmmm. I think the dealer looked at the car in the parking lot and declared it straight. But happy I am!

I have had the Contis on for 2.5 months. Very good in snow, pretty good dry condition handling. They are not as precise on dry days as the Dunlops were, but my kidneys like the ride better-now I can go over speed bumps without losing a filling. The tread pattern on the Contis is not as aggressive as the Dunlops, but with the staggered setup most every tire maintains a nice look. I did want to install Nokian WGR2SUV tires, as they were superb on my XC 90, but they do not make an application for the rears with 20 inch wheels. Big question-would I buy them again, or continue the search for the perfect tire? I am fine with these.

Last edited by rebelelement; 01-13-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelelement View Post
I had the pleasure of my X5 going from a competent handler to a squirrelly coke addict when the factory RF Dunlops wore to the wear indicators.

had an alignment check-they said all was Kosher. I did not ask for a spec sheet, but read on-I should have waited around to see their results of the ghost alignment.!
HAHA.

Welcome to the forum!

Do recognize that the BMW spec for "OK" alignment is rather large, and within the BMW spec you can optimize the alignment! For free...just tell them when they align it. Say "I want the toe set to the minimum end of the range". You get an alignment within the BMW spec AND optimized for tire life....

Or search for posts by me with "alignment" in them.