Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Looking at your new pistons made me laugh.

Rebuilt my first four cylinder MC engine back in the 70's (remember the Honda 750 K1? changed the whole MC business). New rings and pistons was the job.

Anyway, I reassembled the entire head, did (almost) everything right, wrestled it all back together into the chassis, added carbs, coil, plugs, oil blah blah...and she started up on the first kick.

I'm grinning like an idiot, then I notice that #4 is blowing smoke like a mother.

Ah, crap....

Yeah, you know it. Late one night I had very carefully lined up the ring gaps in #4 instead of setting them 120 deg out. Had to strip it all the way back down cause I was tired and screwed up the very simple ring setup....

Moral: instead of "measure twice, cut once", it's "think twice, wrench once".
I actually just made my self a simple "build" sheet just to hopefully not do something like that.. just has places to fill in the torques, clearances, etc. for all the bearings, final torque numbers on the torque to yield bolts, etc. Mainly just so I don't forget one (I have a snap on techangle torque wrench that does torque angles and gives a final torque reading once you get to the prescribed angle.. pretty cool)

Anyways.. out of sheer boredom, I decided to try throwing one of the busted up pistons into a can of "chem-dip" by Berryman. I had scrubbed on this piston with a scotch brite pad for a good hour prior to this and couldn't touch this carbon.. I'm pretty sure smelling this stuff will give your kids cancer, it's nasty.

Here is where I started. The little bits of carbon missing on some of the edges is from all the scrubbing I had done before.. barely touched it

Closer up. I scratched it off in a few places with a screw driver

This is after about an hour in the stuff..

About an hour.. looks like it's eating the aluminum or coating or something.. def not using this for the real deal

And the rest are after a full 24 hours of soaking.. carbon is GONE. I didn't scrub or even touch these things. It was just gone when I pulled them out.. along with some aluminum it looks like, lol

In other news, my block of aluminum to make my hone holder thing came in. $20, can't complain
Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 PM
DIY'er

Earlier update than normal for today, it was just too cold to do much. I mainly worked on making the felt honing pad holder thing out of that aluminum bar..

Drilling some holes

All drilled.. the two on the left are a little too far to the right, I ended up having to drill two with a slightly larger bit to compensate for them being in the wrong place

It was below freezing here for a while today.. quite cold. This thing helped a lot though

Ta-da

Except two little tabs still don't fit right

Now it's flush

Both..

Changing gears, here is a cylinder that has NOT been polished

Same

Same

And here is after polishing--THIS was done with the old method of wrapping felt around a 3 arm hone, same as last weekend

Same

Two furthest away are not done--closest one is w/felt & old 3 arm hone

Same

Same

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-24-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 PM
DIY'er

Now on this one I decided to try the new aluminum block + sunnen felt pads. I did not come up with a way to connect it to a drill today, so I was just turning it by hand.. overall I found that the results of just slowly turning it around by hand for a minute or two did MORE than the felt + 3 arm hone method. I can only imagine that with it actually connected to a drill that results will be much better than I have been getting

Same

Same--by hand I just spun the real felt pads it around in the cylinders w/the aluminum holder I made today. Really surprised at the results

Same

Another shot of the holder

I didn't have the right size drill bit/tap on hand, so I had to order those. Will finish it up after I get those. I found a flexible piece off an old hone that I am going to screw in here..

Here are the pads after I had used them + tried to wash them off some

And here are the parts that came in this week.. missing one bearing and I'll be good to go

Parts

Parts

Parts

Good lawd, more parts

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-24-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:24 PM
DIY'er

Picked the block/heads/crank up from the machine shop yesterday. They found that the heads had already had about .008" taken off. The only oversize headgasket is about .012" thicker than stock, so they went ahead and took about .003" more off to make everything work out.

An engine in the back of a Honda Accord.. lol

Block--you can see even through the bag it's a whole lot cleaner!

One of the heads

On the crank they just did a light light polish--it's slick for sure!

Pretty pretty!

Rear of the crank

New valve seals

Sealing surface. The marks are just oil

Intake runners

Exhaust side--SAS cleaned out

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-28-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:24 PM
DIY'er

Decided I was bored tonight so I'd clean all the valvetronics parts. They were filthy.

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-28-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:25 PM
DIY'er

After cleaning

All back together. Hope I don't have to do that again

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-28-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:04 PM
DIY'er

Question for you guys. I am torn between which set of heads to use.

The "old" set has 207K miles on them and the intermediate levers are out of tolerance causing a cold start up misfire in cold weather (there is an SIB out for it). They need new seals and maybe guides also. I know they work though, even if they aren't perfect. Obviously changing seals is no big deal if that's all they really need.

The "new" set someone has obviously gone through before I got a hold of them. They supposedly have about 75K on them. No idea if rocker arms classes are in correct place (may not matter though) and one of the intake cams has obvious signs of the cam gear coming loose and putting some score marks into the cam. Doubt it will matter, just another sign someone didn't know what they were doing. Machine shop has installed new seals, guides were checked/good, resurfaced them and cleaned them. They are confident everything is fine that they can check.. no idea on valvetronics hardware though. Someone also tried to paint them at one point (yes, paint) and that would not come off so some of the sealing surfaces have a rougher texture than normal (only on valve cover side, combustion chamber side was resurfaced/clean to begin with). No clue if they will seal better or worse because of that.

The old ones would be the safer bet, since I know what I've got, but the new ones are likely in better shape in the end, I'm just not 100% sure. I also thought about replacing the intermediate levers on the old ones and going with them, but that's another $700 on a project already way over budget. Plus seals, resurfacing and cleaning costs. New and old heads are all different classes on the intermediate levers as well so I can't swap anything around there. I have also read that new intermediate levers without changing the eccentric shafts will only last a short time.. and those are $600+ a PIECE.

The new heads are already back from the machine shop and thicker head gaskets have been ordered.. but another week or two to have the machine shop go through the old ones isn't out of the question if that's my best option.

Thoughts? Maybe I'm just overthinking it and should just go with what I have already ready. If it weren't for valvetronics then it wouldn't even be a question..

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-01-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Have you contacted Hitchiner Manufacturing about the lever arm and finger follower tolerance? I also read someplace about they changed from cast to stamped lever arms and that they are available aftermarket. The more you know about them the better you'll feel about your decision.

http://www.hitchiner.com
http://www.sfsa.org/tutorials/leverarm/BMWValve.pdf
Old 11-29-2013, 08:12 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
Have you contacted Hitchiner Manufacturing about the lever arm and finger follower tolerance? I also read someplace about they changed from cast to stamped lever arms and that they are available aftermarket. The more you know about them the better you'll feel about your decision.

http://www.hitchiner.com
http://www.sfsa.org/tutorials/leverarm/BMWValve.pdf
I have not--thanks for reminding me though. Every time I remember needing to do that I'd get sidetracked

Aftermarket sounds a lot cheaper. That would be a plus for sure! I can't find anything on them though
Old 11-29-2013, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
I have not--thanks for reminding me though. Every time I remember needing to do that I'd get sidetracked

Aftermarket sounds a lot cheaper. That would be a plus for sure! I can't find anything on them though
Try this company and see if they are offered for the N62;

http://www.schaeffler.com/content.sc...30/mot3330.jsp

Schaeffler Group USA Inc. Valley City USA North America
5370 Wegman Drive
Valley City, OH 44280-9700
USA
Tel.
+1 800 / 274 5001
Fax
+1 330 / 273 3522
Mail address
www.schaeffler-aftermarket.us
GPS:
N 41 15***8242; 6.4"
W 81 52***8242; 44.4"
Google Maps
Automotive aftermarket distribution for a full range of LuK, INA, *** and Ruville brands throughout North America. Product groups include chassis, drivetrain and engine.

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 11-29-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: info
Old 11-29-2013, 10:41 PM
DIY'er

Awesome, thanks!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:51 PM
DIY'er

Pictures from today. Did a wash on the block--def not final wash by any means. Still have to polish the cylinders and plastigauge all the bearings once I finally get the last one I am waiting on in.

Also weighed all the pistons/rods to try to figure out where I'm at balancing wise. Everything is close, I don't think anything is more than 2-3 grams apart from lightest to heaviest.. I was pretty surprised by that. I have 6 rods that are with .2 grams of one another and 2 more only about .3 grams further out. Should be plenty close for my purposes

Here is what I ended up with on the honing pad device--basically threaded the aluminum block to fit an adapter from an old hone I found laying around.

Here she is after some scrubbing--nothing crazy, just wanted to get it pretty clean for now

Haven't spent much time on the cylinders yet, was mainly just trying to clean everything else out. The block is a lot more open than I remember it being once nothing is in there. The machine shop did a great job getting the burnt oily brown stains off of everything

I am going to have to spend some time on where the coolant crossover pipe goes--it's still got some rubbery plastic pieces hanging on

Passengers side deck--will get a little more cleaning but would probably be just fine how it is

Driver side deck. Same

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:09 PM
DIY'er

Here's where the rods ended up. This is a combo of the old ones (excluded cylinder that was cracked) + "new" engine ones (excluded ones where pistons were broke). Pretty dang close, and these had varying amounts of oil on them that I had put on there to stop them from rusting, so they really may be closer than this if I really cleaned them off well.

Weight included bearing (another variable), cap and rod bolts

*******> ********>

Rods

Average 555.9
Max - Min 3.1
Std Dev. 1.0

Old 12-01-2013, 04:15 PM
DIY'er

And the original pistons (all of them)

If you take out that 479.7 it takes the max-min to 2.2 and std dev. to 1.0. May use a few of the best of the old + the best of the newer ones I bought. A few of the new ones aren't as goo as I'd like, so I am thinking between the two I can make a well balanced/low wear set

*******> ********>

Original Pistons

Average 476.0
Max - Min 5.4
Std Dev. 1.8

---------------------------------------

*******> ********>

New Pistons

Average 474.4
Max - Min 5.5
Std Dev. 2.0

Similar story here--pulling out that 477 or 472 would get the numbers quite a bit closer. I need to get all these pistons in one place and decide what I'm going to use, then sell the rest. Time to recoup some money!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 PM
DIY'er

Any ideas on how to get my hands on one piece of part number 11217532955? I have one on order with ECS, they say it won't be there now until December 30th (was originally supposed to ship today)

Called BMW south Atlanta, haven't heard back

Checked eBay, only one listed on eBay and they said they don't actually have it and are taking the listing down

Any other ideas? It is the one part I need
Old 12-02-2013, 03:09 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Have you tried getbmwparts.com ?
By the way, Bud, you put together some of the best and most detailed DIYs I have ever seen. Many thanks and kudos. Just, WOW!!!!!

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Here is another possibility:
Pelican Parts Search for that part #

And Another possible, Turner Motorsports:

Turner search results

And yet another, they keep getting cheaper the more I look, LOL:

BMWparts supply

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe

Last edited by pjinca; 12-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 PM
DIY'er

Thanks I will start calling when I get home! The get BMW parts one I emailed an hour or so ago. I have it ordered from BMW south Atlanta as well. Somebody is going to have this damn thing, lol
Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Funny story, the first time I did the alternator bracket gasket with a buddy of mine we stripped one of the Torx bolts that held it on. He called around looking for a replacement, found it at the 2nd dealer he called - it was one of 2 in the country. Apparently this dealer and one on the east coast were the ONLY ones in North America with 1 in stock each. Yup, in their infinite wisdom BMWNA had 2 in the country in case it needed replacing. Needless to say my buddy was VERY happy he found it, it was his car.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 PM
DIY'er

I believe it.. I have an entire order of back ordered bolts.. How the heck BMW doesn't have a pile of bolts laying around blows my mind
Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
Here is another possibility:
Pelican Parts Search for that part #

And Another possible, Turner Motorsports:

Turner search results

And yet another, they keep getting cheaper the more I look, LOL:

BMWparts supply
Talked to Pelican, they're going to call me back after they figure out what the lead time really is

Also sent emails to Turner and BMWparts

Also emailed some parts places in Germany, so I expect I'll get some replies once they're back in business hours

I have a feeling my best bet is finding a place in Germany that will ship one over to me

I really wanted to take two weeks off of work over the holiday and knock this thing out..

Also, thanks in regards to the DIY's. On one hand I wish I didn't NEED to do the work that they're describing.. but oh well, at least I can do it myself

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-02-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM
DIY'er

Everyone I have heard back from has said there aren't any in the country. I have them ordered from ECS, getbmwparts.com and BMW south atlanta.com. Whoever gets here first wins

All are saying that they cannot tell me how long it will take

I never heard back from any shops in Germany

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-03-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Wow, that sucks, so hard to get things done when tiny but important parts are not available. Good luck Bud

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
Wow, that sucks, so hard to get things done when tiny but important parts are not available. Good luck Bud
Thanks--honestly if it were a upper main bearing shell I'd probably just use the old one as they looked closed to perfect, but since this is the side that takes all the abuse (and a rod bearing) I really want to put new parts in

I really wish ECS had just freaking told me this two weeks ago. I basically want to have one here by the 20th at the absolute latest, which would have been easily doable starting the clock two weeks ago. Now I'm stuck in the "2 to 4 week" generic time all the parts places are telling me, so it may make it and may not

There goes my holiday plans if it doesn't make it in time!

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-03-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Everyone I have heard back from has said there aren't any in the country. I have them ordered from ECS, getbmwparts.com and BMW south atlanta.com. Whoever gets here first wins

All are saying that they cannot tell me how long it will take

I never heard back from any shops in Germany
I had some spare time today . So I tried to find that part out here in so cal . I got the same results !! No one has it out here either ! Unbelievable..