Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post

I encourage anyone to add photos to this collection. Even ones in snow.
Ernest, this picture shows my GT parked next to an Estril Blue 335xi (with M package, as I am required to report since it is my wife's car). We were at breakfast and heading in separate directions afterwards. (The white 3 series arrived later).

While there is no snow shown, the temperature at the time was about 5F and tomorrow a mix of rain and snow is forecast with a high slightly above freezing......and spring arrives in a few days. HA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parked Beemers.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	428758  
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM

I had to see my CA for free passes to the local Auto Show this weekend (I like to look, I am not in the market), and while there, I parked my GT next to a "little brother GT", a 335 xi that is a dealer car. (It just had a bath whereas mine was due for one).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Two GTs.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	429018  

Last edited by Fish23; 03-19-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 03-19-2014, 05:50 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Really liking those wheels Fish! From the angle your GT looks much more aggressive and aerodynamic. When I dropped off the new tires for our GT there was a white 328i GT parked at next to the service dept. Our dealership is using it to shuttle clients and the shuttle guy let me test drive it. Very nice, it definitely was not poor in the acceleration department but the torque seemed lacking. If course everything does since I'm comparing it to our 550...which by the way I took to the golf course today as my reward for detailing "her" car. Loving the new tires, took it over one of the flyovers at 75 and the only thing the car did was dig in deeper in preparation for further g forces. Did some short accelerations when I had a little bit of a clearing getting to 100 a couple of times and the car was ready for more...I love the ogre even more after today!

Sorry Ernest, no pics thir time...been trying to get the wife to take one as on the weekends she has stated an X6 parks next to her at the gym...
Old 03-20-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
+1000
We really are no comparison to your weather, but by our standards it's been nasty and down right wacky with 2 ice storms, broke a couple record lows, they actually put down a sandy salt mixture multiple times this winter, and extreme temperature swings as of past 1.5 months. I washed the GT last week and discovered all kinds of new gashes, marks and chips A prime example is today: it was 84 yesterday and today it started out at 44 with 22mph sustained winds and gusts to 40 . It's not bad now at 54 but dropping a few degrees from freezing tonight.

Btw, Ernest the GT looks like an ogre next to that 4 series in your pics. A very pretty ogre, like Fiona from Shrek. ;-)
Yes, it has been the winter from hell for so many in the US and Canada. It also does not seem to want to end. The overnight temperatures for this Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights here are forecast to be in the 4-7F range. Our daytime highs are just starting to be in the 32-40F range (and there is still a lot of snow on the ground). For good measure, more is supposed to fall on Saturday with up to 4 inches possible.
I have not had the opportunity to really clean my GT due to temperatures (though I did go to a DIY car wash two days ago to clean off what winter grunge I could in a 10 F temperature). Sorry to hear about the new marks on your GT. I feel your pain.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Really liking those wheels Fish! From the angle your GT looks much more aggressive and aerodynamic. When I dropped off the new tires for our GT there was a white 328i GT parked at next to the service dept. Our dealership is using it to shuttle clients and the shuttle guy let me test drive it. Very nice, it definitely was not poor in the acceleration department but the torque seemed lacking. If course everything does since I'm comparing it to our 550...which by the way I took to the golf course today as my reward for detailing "her" car. Loving the new tires, took it over one of the flyovers at 75 and the only thing the car did was dig in deeper in preparation for further g forces. Did some short accelerations when I had a little bit of a clearing getting to 100 a couple of times and the car was ready for more...I love the ogre even more after today!

Sorry Ernest, no pics thir time...been trying to get the wife to take one as on the weekends she has stated an X6 parks next to her at the gym...
Yes, those wheels are my winter ones. The rims were $300 OZ ones that Tire Rack had on clearance for $99 when I went looking after facing a $4500 bill for a BMW winter set.
I put Michelin Alpin A2 tires on them and Tire Rack had the whole package on my driveway ( over the border with freight and all red tape handled) six days later they arrived on my driveway all for $2500. My summer rims are the stock 245/50-18 (Style 238 I believe) rims with the Goodyear Eagles that have given me no trouble to date. At some point I may swap the tires on the rims so the summer sees me with the "OZ look".

If you liked the 328 (with its 4-cyl turbo), see if you can drive a 335 with the 300 hp turbo six (like the 535 GT has). My wife has that (see my other picture above) it goes like a rocket much like your 550 does (when you are 'rewarded' with a drive)

Last edited by Fish23; 03-20-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Some words inadvertently omitted
Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Looking forward to more pics. Photog tip #1 is to zoom with your feet. That is, fill the frame with car. Tip #2 is to keep the sun behind you or over a shoulder. Love to see one next to the X series or 3 series family.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM
There is no spoon

Took matters into my own hands today as I had the GT again

Sorry about not following your tips Ernest...perhaps next time I'll maneuver the GT to accomodate tip#2...

Without further ado I present a 2010 GT next to a 2014 X6!!!

Name:	GTvsX6_rear.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	429371

Name:	GTvsX6_front.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	429372
Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 AM

Quote:
...Sorry about not following your tips Ernest...perhaps next time I'll maneuver the GT to accomodate tip#2...
No worries. As much of a fan I am of the X6 looks, I like the GT front end better. It's surprising how similar the rear side profiles are. I'm in the hunt for an X5 to "shoot".

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 03-22-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:22 AM
There is no spoon

BMW comparison JACKPOT!!

The wife hit the jackpot this morning. GT is a beast! Makes the Z4 look like a cereal box toy and dwarfs the 6 Gran Coupe. Unfortunately there was no way to get the front view comparison.

Name:	GTvsZ4vs6GC.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	430093
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 AM
There is no spoon

I'm a bit curious about that 6 series as it appears to have the M-Sport package (is definitely a 650i), but doesn't have shadowline exterior...I was under the impression that the sport package included shadowline across all model lines.

We need to leave a note on their vehicle, "Nice car, needs tint."
Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I'm a bit curious about that 6 series as it appears to have the M-Sport package (is definitely a 650i), but doesn't have shadowline exterior...I was under the impression that the sport package included shadowline across all model lines.

We need to leave a note on their vehicle, "Nice car, needs tint."
Concur with your earlier descriptions of the 650 and Z4. Indeed, a tint for the 650 is required. I wouldn't want to be without it.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Personally, I don't get the tint requirement some people have. But, then again, I'm not particularly obsessed with the look, but more on the functionality. I did tint mine, but at a very light tint - being a high-tech nano non-metallic coating, it stops more UV and IR than many much darker tints. I only put it in to keep the heat buildup down while parked in the summer, not for privacy, or looks. To each their own, though. Many people looking at mine may not realize that it does have any tint, and good night visibility was more important to me than any privacy issues...I don't do anything in the vehicle I worry about, anyways!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Personally, I don't get the tint requirement some people have. But, then again, I'm not particularly obsessed with the look, but more on the functionality. I did tint mine, but at a very light tint - being a high-tech nano non-metallic coating, it stops more UV and IR than many much darker tints. I only put it in to keep the heat buildup down while parked in the summer, not for privacy, or looks. To each their own, though. Many people looking at mine may not realize that it does have any tint, and good night visibility was more important to me than any privacy issues...I don't do anything in the vehicle I worry about, anyways!
I'm curious, do you wear polarized sunglasses while driving? I used to be of like mind regarding tinting (and sunglass use) until my wife got through my thick skull the importance of eye protection. She has worked for optical medical device companies for 15+ yrs now going from Class I - III. Along the way I have benefited from the knowledge she has gained regarding eye health and numerous studies. Obviously reducing UVA and UVB exposure (and IR, but as I understand not as critical) is paramount, but eye strain also comes from squinting (well to be exact squinting is a reaction to extreme intensity or lack thereof from a light source, which in turn increases eye strain). Since we rarely drive at night (and when we do 95%+ streets are lit) the darker tint makes sense for us, especially considering our region. So, besides being a look we prefer, the darker tint actually is functional on a few additional levels for us:
a) reduced eye strain
b) provides less opportunity for anyone of ill intent to see something of value
c) easier for the wife to fall asleep in a darker environment on long road trips

P.S. just because somebody likes privacy doesn't mean they are doing something to "worry about"... You could make the same comment about why people put fences up or pools in the back yard vs front yard, etc.

P.P.S. I am writing this with my Oakleys on, but since our house has tinted windows nobody can see how ridiculous I look typing away with lights blazing
Old 03-27-2014, 02:47 AM

Ummmm errrrrr are we off topic yet? YES! I almost snagged a pic with a Honda Crosstour but no parking spot next to it.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 AM
There is no spoon

Technically I was off topic when I posted the X6 photos since that is not a little car.

I'll go now
Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I do not wear sunglasses while driving partly because typical polarized ones block the HUD, which I dearly like. I have a pair of prescription Maui Jim's, but unless I tilt my head just so, it entirely blocks out the HUD. There are a few circularly polarized prescription sunglasses that are supposed to work for viewing displays, and boaters really like them since they can still read their LCD displays on their fish finders or navigation systems, but I've not tried them.

While I could legally put the same tint I have on the windshield (it's that light), I didn't because that window tends to get cleaned more than the others, and I don't find the glare a major issue. Also, it may be where I typically am viewing the roadway...when looking straight ahead, I have to duck to see past the mirror, so the sun has to be really low to be an issue, as it's blocked by the roof most of the time. Maybe it's where I typically drive, and the fact a nice sunny day is not that common! My longest day in the GT was 15-hours and about 1,000-miles. Wasn't a big issue.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Technically I was off topic when I posted the X6 photos since that is not a little car.
I'd rename the thread if I could.

I have a pair of non polarized sunglasses for when I want to see HUD. No tilting of head required. That's only when I wear polarized ones.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM

With a Mini Countryman .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	countryman.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	431224  
Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
With a Mini Countryman ..
Wow those are some crazy short parking spots...were you in a golf cart parking lot?!

I do like the three car staggered parking though, looks chic

Never struck me before on the height of that model Mini.

Last edited by daders; 04-01-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Mini comment
Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 AM

That was just an odd end spot. You know how those diagonally stripped lots are.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:57 PM
There is no spoon

Coming soon...

A 2014 X5 parked next to us today, pics coming shortly...
Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 PM
There is no spoon

As promised!

Ok! A few comments first...

I absolutely love the hood design and find the lower outer grey accents intriguing. I very much like the look of the side air fin (did not notice if it allowed air flow from the wheel well, but if it did I would go nuts about the amount of paint degradation due to the design). Finally, I do not like the placement and size of the fog lights...look out of place and almost an afterthought IMO. EDIT: forgot to mention that the kidney grills are almost hideously large and need the black out look, IMHO

I am upset after seeing the photos that I did not pull our car up to be even with the X5 for front and rear photos as there was room in front of us but not the X5. The size ratio appears more skewed because of the staggered parking and it makes the GT front end look significantly smaller and rear larger than it appeared in first person.

Enjoy Ernest!!

Name:	2010_GT vs 2014_X5 rear.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	431842

Name:	2010_GT vs 2014_X5 profile.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	431843

Name:	2010_GT vs 2014_X5 front.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	431844

Last edited by daders; 04-04-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
A 2014 X5 parked next to us today, pics coming shortly...
I trust that you, the missus and your GT were unaffected by the tornadoes in your area.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:36 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
I trust that you, the missus and your GT were unaffected by the tornadoes in your area.
Thanks for the thoughts, Fish. The weather was north and east of us.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts, Fish. The weather was north and east of us.

It is good to hear that you were unaffected. I haven't had time to see much in the way of the news from there yet but tornadoes are always frightening phenomena. The devastation that we sometimes see on TV from those that occur in the US and in Canada and the effect on those that live through them is truly sad. Mother Nature sure can be cruel can't she.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app