Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1 View Post
Is there any reason I can't put the ball mount I have into the 2" receiver and save the extra $$? Great looking product.
Thanks for the nice compliment! As for our packages, we do not unbundle the ballmount from our tow packages. However, even if we did, it would probably result in at most a $50 savings. So we decided to always bundle the heavy-duty, one-piece ballmount with the tow package. It is a very small additional cost, it exceeds the 7,700 lb towing capacity of the vehicle, and it gives you zero forward/aft play during towing... which both your spine and your transmission will appreciate.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Last edited by invisihitch; 02-27-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 550 xDrive 2011
Trailer brake?

OK....finally have the car. Wooohoo! Invisihitch being installed next wednesday. Any help with brake controller wiring? I have a Tekonsha P3 controller. Any help very appreciated.

2014 X5 50i. White/Mocha
Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 PM
UDMx2

Mein Auto: E93 335/F15 35d
One other question: Is there any reason the invisihitch couldn't be removed once installed and then re-installed on another X5? Looking through the install instructions I don't see anything preventing this, but thought I would ask.

I am leasing this X5 and would want to be able to move it to a new X5 when the current lease ends (assuming BMW doesn't modify anything in the F15 design that would keep it from being installed on future builds.)
2002 E46 330cic Topaz/Grey/Brown (retired)
Old 01-31-2014, 02:10 PM
'Fest Sponsor

^ Assuming BMW doesn't modify anything in the F15 design that would keep it from being installed on future builds... Assuming that, then yes you could unbolt the hitch from your current F15 and bolt it onto your new, future F15. History suggests that it's not an outrageous assumption. Our E70 hitch went unchanged for the entire seven-year lifecycle. Plus, if BMW were to make such a change, it would affect their own dealer hitch as well. They tend to not make such changes.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
Is this installed through the dealer, or do you have a dealer network?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:40 AM
'Fest Sponsor

invisihitch installation options

Many BMW dealers now install the invisihitch. And one of the ways we add new BMW dealers to this list is by customers making clear to their dealer that they want our hitch on their new X5. One dealer acquiesced after the customer pointed out that he sometimes needs a 2 5/16 inch ball. (BMW's dealer hitch has a permanent, unchangeable 2-inch ball)!

So if you want your dealer to deliver your new X5 with our hitch installed, ask. Better yet, insist. Once a dealer joins forces with us, they generally install our hitch preferentially over the BMWUSA hitch from that point forward. They just need to see it for themselves.

If your dealer will not install the invisihitch, or if you want to use a lower-cost installer, we have a network of independent installers across the U.S. and Canada. These are independent BMW service centers, experienced with the installation of our hitch and with adding the hitch module to your vehicle's programming. Contact me with your postal code, and I will be happy to refer you to one or two such shops in your area.

Should you want to explore an even less expensive installation option, you may want to look into a local body shop in your area. Body shops certainly have the required experience in removing and replacing the rear fascia, and that is really the only specialized skill required. Once the fascia is off, our hitch just bolts onto the factory chassis studs. There is no drilling or other such nonsense required. And the wiring plugs into factory connectors located in the rear of the vehicle. If you choose this installation option, we will code the hitch module for you over the internet at no additional charge. And, while we are connected to your vehicle over the internet, we will code several convenience features on the vehicle to your preferred settings as an additional courtesy.

Lastly, a few customers choose to install the hitch themselves and then have us code their vehicle over the internet. So you have several installation options, ranging from your BMW dealer all the way down to DIY + our remote coding service.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d 2012
6500 Lbs hitch

I just got my X5 35d 2014 and have instal a hitch at the dealer… $2500 later there is NO brake control and the adaptor they gave me for the UNVISIBLE Hiden hitch is made for 3500 lbs or less….. the 6500lbs or less is not 2" square hole to fit universal insert… is there anyone here nows where or if it exist the universal 2" for 6500 pound towing capacity??? The dealer does not help at all…. Sorry for the english quality, i'm a french canadian! thanks!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d 2012
Hi i just got a 2014 x5 35d, and i NEED the 2" class 3 universal attach, is there a way to get it?? or please refer me a dealer to install a hitch that is universal…. My dealer charge me 2500$ to install the invisible hitch, that is not invisible even when i remove the "clic" thing….. They told me they ar going to refund me if the can't provide me the 2" universal attach i need! Thnaks.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Astr0,

You have hit on just about every problem with the North-American dealer hitch for the F15:

1. It is not invisible, despite marketing literature that suggests otherwise.

2. While BMW Germany tow rates the F15 for up to 7,700 lbs, the North-American dealer hitch limits you to 3,500 lbs using a standard 2-inch square receiver. So they basically cripple a Class 4 tow vehicle by installing a Class 2 hitch.

3. You can then pay the dealer an additional $350 for a specialized ballmount that will increase the towing capacity of their hitch to 5,000 lbs (or perhaps 6,000 lbs, depending on which piece of their literature you believe). But their specialized ballmount comes ONLY with a 2-inch, nonreplaceable ball. So you better not purchase a trailer that has a different ball size. And you still better not tow anywhere near the maximum rated capacity of your vehicle.

4. It is ridiculously expensive. $2,500 for a hitch that limits you to 3,500 lbs is way overpriced.

While our invisihitch certainly isn't cheap, you get a completely invisible hitch with a towing capacity that exceeds the full 7,700 lb tow rating of the X5, and you can change the ball size any time you may need to. The fully-installed price should be around $1,500. And we will code your vehicle for you over the internet at no charge. As I have mentioned in other posts, our invisihitch is the BMW dealer hitch for the X5 in other areas of the world, so we aren't a cheap aftermarket product. We simply did not win the bidding war to become the North America dealer hitch.

I responded to the private email you sent me also. But basically I suggest you leave the dealer's wiring harness in place (since it is the exact same harness we would provide you with our hitch and it's already installed), and just have your dealer swap out their hitch for the invisihitch. It sounds like they are willing to do that, since they cannot satisfy your towing need with the type of hitch they have.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
Daryl, we have not taken delivery of our X5 yet but I want to thank you of fall of the information and insight you have provided. We almost put an "Invisihitch" on our 550i xDrive GT. Quite an innovative and functional product. I am glad we waited and will have one on our X5 with which I will feel more comfortable using as a tow vehicle.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: Lamborghini Murciélago
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch;8053191

Here are the three different [I
invisihitch[/I] packages for the new X5 (F15):

Rack-Only Package (no towing) - $544
invisihitch receiver with vertical latching mechanism
• detachable 2" square receiver

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

So, why is it $650 on your site?
2010 4Runner TR
08 Honda Element 4WD
2013 VW Passat tdi
Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
'Fest Sponsor

^ My apologies for the website... I keep hearing that the major re-write will be completed "soon". The 2014 (F15) X5 has not yet been listed on the website... probably because the re-write was scheduled to be completed before the release of the F15. So the pricing you are seeing on the site is for the previous generation (E70) X5. I will try to get the old site refreshed. In the meantime, I'm afraid you will have to phone in orders for the new F15 hitch packages -- (678) 400-0121.

The pricing I published in this thread is the correct pricing. I'm so sorry for the confusion.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i, 2014 X5
Has anybody seen the new OEM hitch for the X5 with the 7000lb or so capacity? It appears to not have a receiver and that is a disadvantage for me, but to increased capacity is tempting. Does anybody have 1st hand knowledge of it or seen it in person willing to weigh in

Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ict330xi View Post
Has anybody seen the new OEM hitch for the X5 with the 7000lb or so capacity? It appears to not have a receiver and that is a disadvantage for me, but to increased capacity is tempting. Does anybody have 1st hand knowledge of it or seen it in person willing to weigh in
I have had my hands on it many times. I am very familiar with it and, although I am admittedly biased, I can state the following about it pretty objectively:

• It is a $350 add-on to what many believe is already an overpriced dealer hitch.
• It raises the default 3,500 lb, Class-2 towing capacity of the dealer hitch to 6,000 lbs.
• It has a permanent 2-inch ball that has a 90-degree curved shank (i.e., a side-mounted ball). You cannot change the ball when you need a 1-7/8 or a 2-5/16 inch ball.
• The 90-degree curve on the ball shank can bind against the front edge of your trailer coupler when you encounter a sudden sharp incline, such as a steep driveway intersecting a level road. If this happens, the trailer coupler will suffer damage, the rear end of your X5 will lift off the ground, or both.
• It does not support attaching a rack; it is strictly for towing only.

Last edited by invisihitch; 02-27-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i, 2014 X5
Thanks for your candid comments Invisihitch. I was quoted nearly $2000 from dealer for new model hitch installed. OUCH! I need 5k capacity. Being locked into 2" is not an issue for me. I am uncomfortable with a body shop or myself removing bumper cover on a new x5 with less than 20 miles on it, and then having to go back to dealer to have the electronics coded. I could ask them to install it, and at the dealership shop rates plus the cost of invisihitch and the correct ball and accouterments/shipping I pay only a couple hundred more to get the OEM hitch that they will be totally responsible for in terms of install, coding and someone to go back and holler at if there is a problem. I really like your hitch system and if I lived in a major metro area and did not have to take to dealership for electronic integration, I'd be a buyer.
Best!
EF

Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5
How do you use a weight distribution hitch(WDH) on this vehicle? The 2" receiver is only rated as a class II and the ball insert has the high tow capacity but is also the one that would benefit from a WDH?

I purchased the invisihitch for towing a 7000lbs trailer but that is not realistic without using a WDH which I now realize I can't use with the 2" receiver.

Not sure what to do next. Any thoughts?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-27-2014, 12:03 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhubott View Post
How do you use a weight distribution hitch(WDH) on this vehicle? The 2" receiver is only rated as a class II and the ball insert has the high tow capacity but is also the one that would benefit from a WDH?

I purchased the invisihitch for towing a 7000lbs trailer but that is not realistic without using a WDH which I now realize I can't use with the 2" receiver.

Not sure what to do next. Any thoughts?

I have some semi-good news for you. This same concern about using a WDH was raised by another customer a couple of months ago, so we re-submitted our 2-inch square tube receiver for Class III testing. Originally, we requested only Class II certification of our square-tube receiver, under the belief that heavy towing would always be done using our separate, zero-play ballmount. But, as you point out, the design of our zero-play ballmount does not support inserting the Weight-Distributing shank that you need for your WDH head assembly.

So this time we requested Class III testing of our 2-inch square tube receiver, and it passed without incident. This means you can safely use the square-tube receiver together with your WDH assembly. However, I started this post by referring to this as only semi-good news because, in my experience, most folks using WDH systems are doing so because they have excessive tongue weight. And getting our square tube receiver certified for Class III loads is no help if your loaded 7,000 lb trailer has, say, 700 lbs of tongue weight. Your limiting factor on tongue weight will still be the X5's chassis, which has a 600 lb max tongue-weight limit. And personally, I would approach the tongue-weight limit with caution on a unibody chassis... even on a really stout unibody chassis like the X5.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 550 xDrive 2011
The invisihitch is now installed and looks (that is invisibly!) great. While at the dealer I had the chance to see another x5 with the standard BMW hitch installed and can tell you that I definetly made the better choice. The BMW hitch is anything but invisible and has a lower towing rating. The price of the two hitches are very comparable, so invisihitch wins hands down. The dealer was unable to program the trailer zoom, but everything else seems good.* Daryl was very helpful with info for the dealer and I am grateful for his help.

2014 X5 50i
Old 02-28-2014, 02:26 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezer View Post
... The dealer was unable to program the trailer zoom, but everything else seems good.
Leezer- We can courtesy program the trailer zoom for you remotely. If you'd like us to do that, please send me a PM or an email and I will send you a cable. You will need a laptop PC, wirelessly connected to the internet, plus the cable that I will provide.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 02-28-2014, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
Leezer, thanks for confirming what we had hoped to be the case. We are def going for the InvisiHitch after reading your post.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 PM

Can someone post the coding required for the hitch. I have esys and have both VO and FTL coded modules.

I have searched and cannot find the VO code to add for a US hitch install and the modules to code after adding the VO.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM

Bump. Need instructions for coding as my dealer doesn't seem to be able to figure it out.

No rear camera and warnings about over current with nothing hooked up.

If anyone knows what needs to be coded from esys I will do the coding.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X5 35D
Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the San Francisco area to install a Invisihitch to my 2014 BMW X5 35d with m sport package? What is the difference between an active and a passive harness? Where can I order the Invisihitch hitch? Thanks

Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWXX55 View Post
Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the San Francisco area to install a Invisihitch to my 2014 BMW X5 35d with m sport package? What is the difference between an active and a passive harness? Where can I order the Invisihitch hitch? Thanks
I sent you a PM about an installer in your area.
To order the invisihitch, please call in your order at (678) 400-0121.

Here are the differences between the Passive Harness and the Active Harness:

Passive Harness:
The Passive Harness is the standard harness offering in some regions of the world when you add the hitch to a 2014 X5. We import the Passive Harness and offer it here in North America as an alternative to the Active Harness. The Passive Harness simply listens to the vehicle's taillight circuits and, in turn, generates its own independent taillight signals to the trailer plug. It also makes intelligent substitutions in the case of a trailer bulb outage. (For example, should the left-side trailer taillight burn out, the harness will recognize this and it will send a low-voltage signal to the left-side brake light so that the brake light glows dim like a taillight). The Passive Harness does not feedback information to the vehicle's computer; thus it is a "passive device" as seen by the vehicle. With the Passive Harness, you will probably want to manually silence the rear park sensor using your iDrive when reversing with a trailer attached, since the vehicle is unaware that a trailer is attached and it will beep due to the trailer being close to the rear bumper. Since this harness is a passive device, it does not require any reprogramming of the vehicle.

Active Harness:
The Active Harness is the harness that will get installed by North American BMW dealers unless you specify otherwise. The Active Harness carries on two-way communications in realtime with the vehicle. It informs the vehicle when a trailer is connected to the electrical socket, and the vehicle tells the harness when to generate taillight signals to the trailer. In the event of a trailer bulb outage, the harness does not make any intelligent substitutions but instead informs the vehicle that a trailer bulb has burned out. The vehicle then lights a warning on the dash regarding a trailer bulb failure. With the Active Harness, the vehicle automatically disables the rear park sensors whenever it is informed that a trailer is connected. The vehicle also monitors for excessive trailer sway and, in cases of extreme sway, the vehicle applies braking to counteract the sway. Since this harness feeds back information to the vehicle, it requires that the vehicle be reprogrammed to recognize it and communicate with it.

I hope this is helpful.
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
Would you suggest ordering directly from you and then heading to the installer, or going through them?