Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1 View Post
Would you suggest ordering directly from you and then heading to the installer, or going through them?
BMW dealers who work with us are often our authorized resellers. Generally the opposite is true for independent installers; they provide installation services only. So if you plan to use an independent installation shop, you would order directly from us. We can then either ship to you or drop ship your hitch to the installation shop.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 03-13-2014, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X5 35D
What makes me really nervous id that if I install the invisihitch with active transport will I have any problems with the warranty? Has anyone had problems like this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-13-2014, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: X5
When it come to the active harness just make sure your dealer knows what they are doing and that they will enable all of the features when coding the car for the harness.

1. Disable PDC on connection
2. Changes to stability control when towing
3. Enable trailer zoom view on the rear camera

My dealer(BMW of Encinitas) has been unable to achieve this and is now saying that these are not features. I have been able to code the trailer zoom but I'm unable to determine if the other options are enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
I sent you a PM about an installer in your area.
To order the invisihitch, please call in your order at (678) 400-0121.

Here are the differences between the Passive Harness and the Active Harness:

Passive Harness:
The Passive Harness is the standard harness offering in some regions of the world when you add the hitch to a 2014 X5. We import the Passive Harness and offer it here in North America as an alternative to the Active Harness. The Passive Harness simply listens to the vehicle's taillight circuits and, in turn, generates its own independent taillight signals to the trailer plug. It also makes intelligent substitutions in the case of a trailer bulb outage. (For example, should the left-side trailer taillight burn out, the harness will recognize this and it will send a low-voltage signal to the left-side brake light so that the brake light glows dim like a taillight). The Passive Harness does not feedback information to the vehicle's computer; thus it is a "passive device" as seen by the vehicle. With the Passive Harness, you will probably want to manually silence the rear park sensor using your iDrive when reversing with a trailer attached, since the vehicle is unaware that a trailer is attached and it will beep due to the trailer being close to the rear bumper. Since this harness is a passive device, it does not require any reprogramming of the vehicle.

Active Harness:
The Active Harness is the harness that will get installed by North American BMW dealers unless you specify otherwise. The Active Harness carries on two-way communications in realtime with the vehicle. It informs the vehicle when a trailer is connected to the electrical socket, and the vehicle tells the harness when to generate taillight signals to the trailer. In the event of a trailer bulb outage, the harness does not make any intelligent substitutions but instead informs the vehicle that a trailer bulb has burned out. The vehicle then lights a warning on the dash regarding a trailer bulb failure. With the Active Harness, the vehicle automatically disables the rear park sensors whenever it is informed that a trailer is connected. The vehicle also monitors for excessive trailer sway and, in cases of extreme sway, the vehicle applies braking to counteract the sway. Since this harness feeds back information to the vehicle, it requires that the vehicle be reprogrammed to recognize it and communicate with it.

I hope this is helpful.
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 03-13-2014, 02:56 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWXX55 View Post
What makes me really nervous id that if I install the invisihitch with active transport will I have any problems with the warranty? Has anyone had problems like this?
No one has ever had a problem like that. From what our customers tell us, the primary reason that many of them spend the extra money for the Active Harness is not for its features but rather to avoid even the remote possibility of any future discussion with their dealer about whether something is or is not covered by warranty. The Active Harness is the exact same harness that a North American BMW dealer would install if they were installing their own hitch on your X5. Likewise, the vehicle reprogramming is identical. There really cannot be much of discussion about whether it is an approved part or approved coding.

As for the hitch beam itself, since the invisihitch is the BMW OE hitch in some regions, it would seem more than a bit odd if BMW were to test and approve the invisihitch for installation by its dealers (which it has) and then later attempt to deny a warranty claim due to its installation. That has never happened either, and the possibility of it ever happening is precluded by BMW's global vendor-approval process.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Forgot to mention. I love the invisihitch over the US BMW option. It rocks!!!

Old 03-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 550 xDrive 2011
Just finished the coding so now I have the trailer zoom option. I am very pleased with my invisihitch and what a GREAT company to work with! Thanks again Daryl.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X5 35D
Where would the wiring be for thw trailer when the invisahitch is installed? Does it look like the OEM wiring for trailers??

Old 03-23-2014, 08:15 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Where would the wiring be for thw trailer when the invisahitch is installed? Does it look like the OEM wiring for trailers??
No, it definitely does not look the same. On the dealer hitch, the large electrical receptacle mounts below the fascia and points rearward so you always see it. The invisihitch mounts the receptacle vertically, behind the fascia, where it cannot be seen. You plug the trailer in using an upward motion, just like you insert the ballmount upward into the invisihitch. I'm not sure how clearly you can see this in the attached picture, but the 7-way round receptacle is at the far end of the picture in parallel with our receiver opening.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under-vehicle view of invisihitch.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	429707  
Old 03-30-2014, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 (F15)
Quote:
Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the San Francisco area to install a Invisihitch to my 2014 BMW X5 35d with m sport package? What is the difference between an active and a passive harness? Where can I order the Invisihitch hitch? Thanks

Maybe you have that other X5 I've seen around town! Can you please share with me the Invisihitch installer recommendation for the SF area, and any other pertinent information? Thank you.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5 F15
Need help fenderwell removal

I am trying to install invisihitch. I can't get the fenderwell trim off. I drilled out the rivets but can't find the clips or I don't know how to remove the clips. I am unable to get the first clip exposed like the picture in the directions. Can anyone provide any tips or pictures?
Old 04-12-2014, 01:23 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal1 View Post
I am trying to install invisihitch. I can't get the fenderwell trim off. I drilled out the rivets but can't find the clips or I don't know how to remove the clips. I am unable to get the first clip exposed like the picture in the directions. Can anyone provide any tips or pictures?
After you have drilled out and completely removed the rearmost 3 rivets, insert a plastic pry tool into the seam at the bottom or near the bottom of the fenderwell trim (see photo in the instruction manual). Then pry the trim away from the fenderwell. This may not release the bottom clip but, if not, it will expose the clip enough for you to see exactly where it is. Then, with that knowledge, you can reach through the fenderwell with your hand and push the clip down as you pry. It will release. The first clip can be tough; the rest give way more easily. Don't be afraid to pry. You aren't going to break the trim piece or this particular clip.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: X5 F15
Spot on

I finished the Invisihitch install and wanted to provide some observations for those of you who may be hesitant with a self install. First, the directions are 100% spot on, the pictures match up exactly and there is no guesswork because the directions are detailed and accurate. My previous post about a problem with removing the fenderwell trim was caused by me being too cautious with my 10 day old vehicle. As Daryl mentioned, this part is very sturdy and will not break. Just follow the directions provided. I was going to send a picture of the hitch installed but decided it wasn't needed, if you want to see what it looks like installed look at your F15 now and that is what it looks like installed. It really is hidden. My wife drove up just after I finished and thought that I had quit the install and just put everything back together. She had to look under the vehicle because she did not believe the hitch was installed. I would highly recommend Invisihitch products to anyone interested in a tow hitch.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: Cayenne Diesel
Hi Folks... long time lurker since we got our 2011 X5d 4 years ago. I'm not much of a poster, but the way Daryl and Steve treated me, I'm motivated to share this invisihitch experience.

We needed a hitch for the X5. OEM was $$$. Invisihitch was the same price and a better product. After a number of emails back and forth with Daryl--he was gracious and patient--we ordered the invisihitch. Finding a dealership near DC that could install it was a challenge. We settled on Baltimore.

Hitch arrived in the mail 3/19. Hubbie and I went to dinner. On the way home someone hit us. Hard. I called Daryl and explained. What to do?! He said I could wait til I knew more; he would work with me. 10 days later, car was indeed totaled. I called Daryl. What to do? He let me wait til I knew what its replacement would be. We wanted another X5 but perhaps 2014?

The dealership quoted us a price on the 2014 X5 OEM hitch: $1500 parts alone. WHA??? They didn't even know what install would cost because they do so few! Car cost + $2K or more for hitch + first model year concerns = no go. We ended up with a used car that already had a factory tow hitch installed. I called Daryl. We reinforced the box and sent it back. Within a week, he had received it and the money was back in our account.

In the end, we did not end up with the invisihitch. Did we want it? Heck ya. Would I be a repeat customer in the future? Heck ya. Recommend them to others? Already have. You've all done your homework and know the product as well or better than I. But as for customer service, I was downright floored with how helpful, informative, and understanding these two businessmen are. On no fewer than 5 different occasions, I spoke with them, ranging from someone educating herself on hitch options for the first time to a rather desperate customer afraid she'd have to beg for mercy in a situation that was out of her control. On every occasion, they treated me like I was the most important customer they had.

Thanks for the opportunity to share. PM me if you think any of my experiences would assist your decisions.
Best wishes with your hitches.
Carol
Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: e30, e39 and land roverD1
hi from newbie

I have been through this thread due to deciding what my new tow vehicle will be - land rover, Touareg or a 2014 X5 - the subject of the tow is a 4000 lb (empty) travel trailer. All questions have been answered in the thread except my worries of the air suspension. I was leaning toward the X5 as the only one of the three that I can order new and NOT get airbags. Can anyone assist or give a link to threads regarding air bag issues (longevity, failure..) when towing with an X5? I was hitting the third row seating (the wife's request) and the required rear air suspension as I was getting into the order process. Thank to you all!