Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 PM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Thunking...not what I was expecting..

So my 2007 E92 developed a "thunking" noise that I would hear going over small bumps at typically low speeds... I was convinced the sound was coming from the front driver side suspension.. I was further convinced the noise was from a worn control arm bushing...I was "convinced" only by what I have read online, and not any prior experiences...

My service writer just called and informed me the driver side REAR shock is complete out of fluid and "blown out", and the passenger side was "less than new". I'm guessing that was his way of telling me to "replace them both".

They swear this is the fix and cause of the noise...

Any thoughts or experience of this happening to them??

129k on the Odo... original shocks/struts.
__________________

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
bocabimmer's Avatar
bocabimmer bocabimmer is offline
Found the Search Button
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 625
Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Thunking...not what I was expecting..

Well you certainly are due for shocks. You'd notice a difference in the ride of your car replacing them even if they aren't the cause of your noise. It's not exactly like needlessly replacing a part.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Miller335 Miller335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 222
Mein Auto: 2007 E92
It sucks having to spend the money but you were definitely due either way.
In fact if it were me I'd be happy at their service given that it's more of a performance oriented vehicle.

Last edited by Miller335; 10-28-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,181
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
So my 2007 E92 developed a "thunking" noise that I would hear going over small bumps at typically low speeds... I was convinced the sound was coming from the front driver side suspension.. I was further convinced the noise was from a worn control arm bushing...I was "convinced" only by what I have read online, and not any prior experiences...

My service writer just called and informed me the driver side REAR shock is complete out of fluid and "blown out", and the passenger side was "less than new". I'm guessing that was his way of telling me to "replace them both".

They swear this is the fix and cause of the noise...

Any thoughts or experience of this happening to them??

129k on the Odo... original shocks/struts.
The OEM dampers on the 2007 sports suspension are crap.
Replace all four with Koni FSDs. You wont be sorry.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,570
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
129K!

I've read here that when the shock is starting to leak, it was already way past the point of needing to be replaced.

The bright side with parts failures is that it's the perfect excuse to upgrade!

Personally, I'd look into changing out some susp to M parts if any labor charges would be redundant... oh wait, dunno how that would work out with xi...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
129K!

I've read here that when the shock is starting to leak, it was already way past the point of needing to be replaced.

The bright side with parts failures is that it's the perfect excuse to upgrade!

Personally, I'd look into changing out some susp to M parts if any labor charges would be redundant... oh wait, dunno how that would work out with xi...
Certainly not worth "M Parts" on a 328xi.... So I opted for OEM BMW.. and yes, the ride is much better now...
__________________

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2013, 05:58 PM
anE934fun anE934fun is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: S.F. Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,719
Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The OEM dampers on the 2007 sports suspension are crap.
Replace all four with Koni FSDs. You wont be sorry.

CA
+1. And, the cost for OEM shocks is probably close to (if not more than) a set of FSDs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2013, 04:20 AM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
+1. And, the cost for OEM shocks is probably close to (if not more than) a set of FSDs.
Hmmm... not too sure about that... I paid $857 out the door for diagnostics, and the replacement of both rear dampers.. I believe the dampers were roughly $220 each.
__________________

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 AM
anE934fun anE934fun is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: S.F. Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,719
Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
Hmmm... not too sure about that... I paid $857 out the door for diagnostics, and the replacement of both rear dampers.. I believe the dampers were roughly $220 each.
How much longer do you think your other two dampers would last? Unless you are looking at getting a replacement for your car, new dampers are in your not too distant future. A set of FSDs can be had for around $800. Less when they are on sale.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 AM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
How much longer do you think your other two dampers would last? Unless you are looking at getting a replacement for your car, new dampers are in your not too distant future. A set of FSDs can be had for around $800. Less when they are on sale.
It's funny the dealer didn't push replacing the fronts.... anyway, yes, i'm going to plan to have them replaced as well...
__________________

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 AM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
It's funny the dealer didn't push replacing the fronts.... anyway, yes, i'm going to plan to have them replaced as well...
I would have never replaced just one set of shocks/struts at that mileage; that's just crazy, it can lead to the car porpoising. Also, "thunking" can also be caused by just worn shock mounts, I'm hoping they replaced the rear shock mounts at the same time as these shocks.
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 AM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Re: Thunking...not what I was expecting..

Yeah the mounts were replaced as well.
__________________

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 AM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,181
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
When I replaced the OEM dampers with FSDs I was told that the originals were still in good shape at about 35,000 miles. The shop that installed the FSDs asked me what I wanted to do with the originals. I told them to throw them away.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-02-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 AM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: '07 328xi
UPDATE:

The noise I'm hearing never went a way... but I think it's the driver side strut/damper. here's why.

When I press up and down on over the passenger side tire, I can hear the damper making a "Pssst....Pssst....Pssst" as I bounce the car. When I do that over the driver side tire, it makes ZERO sound.

When I run the driver tire over those cut-outs in double yellow lines (drift warnings or whatever they are formally called) at say 20 mph, you can hear the rattling like crazy.

Sounds to me like I need to replace the front dampers now too.
__________________

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 AM
grijo grijo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somerset County, NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 146
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
UPDATE:

The noise I'm hearing never went a way... but I think it's the driver side strut/damper. here's why.

When I press up and down on over the passenger side tire, I can hear the damper making a "Pssst....Pssst....Pssst" as I bounce the car. When I do that over the driver side tire, it makes ZERO sound.

When I run the driver tire over those cut-outs in double yellow lines (drift warnings or whatever they are formally called) at say 20 mph, you can hear the rattling like crazy.

Sounds to me like I need to replace the front dampers now too.
As others have said, when you replace shocks you do all four corners. After 129K miles you cannot expect any more life from the front shocks. I do not like to spend money on parts either, but some items (shocks, tires, brakes, fluids, etc.) just wear out and need to be replaced.

The approach you followed is now going to cost you significantly more than if you had done the 4 shocks at once. Good luck.

Last edited by grijo; 11-02-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-02-2013, 05:49 AM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by grijo View Post
As other have said, when you replace shocks you do all four corners. After 129K miles you cannot expect any more life from the front shocks. I do not like to spend money on parts either, but some items (shocks, tires, brakes, fluids, etc.) just wear out and need to be replaced.

The approach you followed is not going to cost you significantly more than if you had done the 4 shocks at once. Good luck.
I agree 100%... I just was looking for some validation on my "Testing"....

The dealer quoted me $1,700 to replace the front struts.. + $169.99 for an alignment...
__________________

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-02-2013, 06:39 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,395
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
I agree 100%... I just was looking for some validation on my "Testing"....

The dealer quoted me $1,700 to replace the front struts.. + $169.99 for an alignment...
wow that sounds really high to me, I had mine replace at an Indy shop for 400, but I provided the new shocks

nothing special about the job but its a pain, I assume they are replacing the upper strut mount too
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,699
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The OEM dampers on the 2007 sports suspension are crap.
Replace all four with Koni FSDs. You wont be sorry.

OP - just one more thing: Koni's carry a lifetime guarantee

If you buy Yellows, you'll find they are rebuildable, recommended every 40k mi for max performance. Dunno about FSD's - Capt'n?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 AM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Re: Thunking...not what I was expecting..

The replacement ones from the dealer carry a lifetime warranty as well. Since its a daily driver soon to be handed down to my son, the oem is good enough.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! What a great resource these forums are.
__________________

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,699
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
The replacement ones from the dealer carry a lifetime warranty as well. Since its a daily driver soon to be handed down to my son, the oem is good enough.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! What a great resource these forums are.

Wait...really? What about the units that came with the car - same, right?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-02-2013, 10:55 AM
brewder brewder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Re: Thunking...not what I was expecting..

Yep. Lol. I even joked with my Sa. Why didn't they use those to begin with!
__________________

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-02-2013, 11:15 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,699
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
Yep. Lol. I even joked with my Sa. Why didn't they use those to begin with!

Answer may be in the details. Lifetime warranty for original purchaser of shocks only?

In other words, if sold, bets off....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 PM
anE934fun anE934fun is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: S.F. Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,719
Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Wait...really? What about the units that came with the car - same, right?
Two warranty coverages that are not interchangeable. Shocks that came with the car may be the same that carry the lifetime warranty once they are installed after the factory warranty is over. Unfortunately the ones that are installed on the car from the factory only get the 48 month/50K mile coverage. I found this out on batteries. The battery that gets replaced is the same, but with different warranties.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 PM
anE934fun anE934fun is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: S.F. Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,719
Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
OP - just one more thing: Koni's carry a lifetime guarantee

If you buy Yellows, you'll find they are rebuildable, recommended every 40k mi for max performance. Dunno about FSD's - Capt'n?
FSDs are not rebuildable. But they do come with the lifetime warranty, so if they fail, a replacement is free (parts only, not labor).

Edit: Cal - if memory serves, you replaced suspension components on your E93 with M units. What Koni Yellow shocks did you use? Those spec'd for the E93 (non-M version)? Or?
__________________

Last edited by anE934fun; 11-02-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: See Edit: above.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-02-2013, 12:50 PM
grijo grijo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somerset County, NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 146
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
I agree 100%... I just was looking for some validation on my "Testing"....

The dealer quoted me $1,700 to replace the front struts.. + $169.99 for an alignment...
Ouch!! Get Konis or Bilsteins, and find a recommended indie to do the work. My indie allows me to bring my own parts and he charges me the % he gets from the autoparts store (which I think it is fair)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms