Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i
Question Sun Roof Shade Failure

Not sure if this will get any responses. I have a 2011 CPO 535i GT from Phoenix AZ got it with 14K miles on it, and after driving it for about 1K. I went to show a friend how great the sun roof was -I hit the button to open it and it made a sound like breaking plastic and scrunched up towards the back of the opening over the back-seats. I contacted the dealer in AZ and they said it would be covered. Alexandria BMW didn't beleive it would and plead my case to Corporate -and it was covered but would've cost me over $6K to fix it. Anyone know how it happened? I didn't touch the shade at all and I had opened it and closed it during the road trip I was on from Alexandria to Philadelphia. It worries me that the dealer had no explantation and the cost to fix it was in my opinion very steep. Any ideas? Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 10-28-2013, 06:05 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Check out the X5 forum, they have plenty of posts describing a similar issue with the pano roof. Actually if you do a search about pano roof and X5 (top left) the threads should pop up. Not to be spiteful but I hope you are an anomaly for us GT'ers.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i
I hope it was an anomaly, I love this car but it worries me to have had this problem so early in. I'll check out the X5 forum but I thought that the X5 had two hard panels that covered the sun roof -but I'll look. Thanks for the response
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
In Germany, at least in previous model years, the sunroof was optional at the cost of around 1750-euros plus VAT (19% in Germany?) making it a REALLY expensive option. Some people love them, I'd rather not have it in the first place. As a result, I almost never open the thing, so hope it never fails, or if it does, it does it while opening and I can just leave it alone.

My guess is while the parts may be expensive, a good portion of that was labor. You probably have to take the headliner out to access the motor and gear set and god knows what else.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 550i GT
Just joined the site, that's why the late reply. I had the same problem about 5 months ago, actually i took the car to the dealer to get a small leather repair and a full detail the dealer promised me, and i got the call that the shade wasn't working and needs to be replaced and they said that it was covered by the warranty. The problem is the shade part doesn't come alone it comes with the whole sunroof as a package. The other problem is the part wasn't available in all of Canada, and i fact the dealer said it wasn't available in all of North America, and just my luck the part wasn't available in Germany as well if you believe that. I waited 4 months for the whole sunroof and sunshade package to be manufactured and shipped to Vancouver Canada from Germany and finally got the car back. One thing i will add is that the dealer was really good to me, they kept the car there for all of 4 months and didn't want me to drive the car like that even though the car was drivable. I did drive 3 different brand new BMWs, 5 series and 2 X5 diesel and luxury. I also got reimbursed for 4 months of payments i made from BMW Canada and got a free navigation upgrade which i asked for so i guess it wasn't that bad for me.

Hope this will help you, and hope you got it done.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Sounds like your problem occurred during BMW's switch between parts inventory computer systems...that messed up their whole world for much longer than it should have. It was supposed to be 'seamless'; so much for believing the salesman! Hopefully, they had a performance provision in their contract, and were able to collect. Water under the bridge, now...I'd bet they won't make any other big changes for awhile while the smell of this one dissipates.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
You,ve got to be kidding me.... I am having this exact same problem, and just got my car back after 3 months sitting in the dealer lot because of no availability of a transfer case which was replaced under warranty... I'll die if i have to wait for a part for another 4 months.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Sun Roof Shade Failure

If you go to my thread "Don't Have a Collision" you can read all about how my GT became the record holder for being at my dealer's BMW Collision Centre the longest they had experienced - 21 weeks from end-May to mid-Oct (for a 25 working- day job).

You can read more detail about the situation to which jad referred and what was behind the long delay that you experienced in getting your vehicle back. You were not alone!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT
This is resurrecting an old thread, but just wanted to go on record as having the same failure a few days ago. While we were stopped in a parking lot, my wife hit the button to retract the shade and . . . CRUNCH, RIIIIP. . . The whole shade ripped itself into a really nasty looking drape hanging down in the car.

2010 550i GT. Thankfully, still under warranty.

It's in the shop now. I hope it isn't there as long as the others here had to endure. IMHO, none of the loaner cars on the BMW lot compares to our optioned-out GT.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app