Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 745
Transmission hesitation

I have read several posts about my problem, but none really pin pointed the cause. I have a delay or hesitation upon take off. Motor revs up and then a second or two later trans kicks in. Does not do it in sport or manual mode. I serviced trans last year and no leaks so not low of fluid. Any ideas. It started doing this 2 months ago. I can ease into acceleration and everything works great. But normal acceleration from stop light has this delay.

Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: E66 730Ld
I get exactly the same so interested to know what this is. Have lived with it for three years but it bugs me.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
It honestly sounds like incorrect fluid level/pressure since sport mode and manual mode increases the pressures in the transmission so it can shift better. The actual "engagement" that occurs is within the Torque Converter. Mine failed at 70K miles on my 760 so they replaced the whole trans with it.
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 10-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
If the problem is in the computer you can reset your transmission by putting in the key, hitting the start / stop button to put the ignition in position 2 then hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor for a full 30 seconds. This will allow the transmission to adapt to a new driving style.

I have also read if your battery is getting low or old the car shuts off some electrical functions, one of which can conprimise shifting

Last edited by karmaxul; 10-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: E66 730Ld
The responses make sense - when I had the fluid/pan changed, it did shift better (and they told me it had been low on fluid). But the poor shifting started to come back gradually.

Battery low - possibly, as they is some weakness in my battery (although not getting any warnings as such). Did notice once after disconnecting battery and re-connecting, that it seemed to shift very smoothly - wonder if that equated to some kind of 'reset'?