Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Road imperfections felt in the steering wheel

2011 X 35i with 30k and has about 5/32 tread left on all tires though some feathering on outside of all tires. Alignment was checked and it was good. I was told that tire balance should be ok as I hear no vibrations at higher speeds though I hear some tire noise when at 30-45 mph - appears to be like a cupped tire
so the problem is i feel the road imperfections when driving on uneven roads - like if the spot is lower on one side the car/steering wheels goes in that direction very briefly as I am holding the wheel. Now this is to happen on the cars but i feel more than normal. Not sure if I was able to put into words appropriately. I have driven many other cars including X5 but did not feel something like it.
ANyone who has similar feeling? Any steering part that needs checking

I need to put newer tires in another 6-7 K miles and I am looking at Bridgestone potenza RE950...anyone with them on?
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: F25 X3 SE Auto (2011)
Yep I have the same issue, it's like the car is in tramlines. My car came with Dunlop tyres, i am now on Continental tyres and it's the same.. Also have the following issue, from standing still, full lock on steering wheel, accelerate moderately, and I feel juddering through the steering wheel. I have put both of these issues down to the fact that it's a 4x4 SUV , as I have never owned one before,,
Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Same issue on our 2011 x35i. Replaced the Pirelli All-Seasons at 30K miles, performed alignment, and problem went away. No odd wear on the tires but I believe it was the tires and not the alignment. May be an attribute of the vehicle and/or the RFT tires. Would be interesting to mount some really rigid racing rubber and see if the same thing occurs. Has anyone noticed this with non-RFT tires?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Same issue on our 2011 x35i. Replaced the Pirelli All-Seasons at 30K miles, performed alignment, and problem went away. No odd wear on the tires but I believe it was the tires and not the alignment. May be an attribute of the vehicle and/or the RFT tires. Would be interesting to mount some really rigid racing rubber and see if the same thing occurs. Has anyone noticed this with non-RFT tires?
What tires have you put now ? Brand and RFT or not . Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Had this issue on my 35i with LS2 Runflats. Just switched out to non runflats (Continental Extreme DWS) and the problem is gone. Love the new tires compared to the runflats. Feels like a whole new vehicle without the POS Goodyears.

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 10-29-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
I had the same problem with tire feathering, mostly with the front tires. I have the X3 35i with Pirelli P7s on them. At 19,800 miles an alignment was done as part of a steering rack replacement. The dealer rotated the front tires to the back which minimized the noise a bit but it is still there.

The Pirellis seem like very good tires. However, I will be replacing them soon with a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s (non-runflats). I have had very good experiences in the past with Michelin tires. The rides tend to be quieter, more compliant and the tire itself seem to last much longer. These tires will have a 55,000 mile warranty on them.

While Michilens will be the same size tire (245/50 R 18), Michelin did not make a 100V tire. The choices are 100H or 99V. Since the load index appears more important than the speed index, I'll be going with the 100H tires. They are rated at speeds up to 129 mph vs 149 mph. The MXM4 is a performance tire and I'm not likely to ever bring the vehicle up to those kind of speeds anyway so I'm not concerned about a slightly lower speed rating.

I purposefully chose the 18" tires for the sport activity package over the optional 19" ones just for ride quality and larger replacement option selections.

Has anyone else replaced their OEM tires with Michelins? If so, which tire did you spring for?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
2011 X 35i with 30k and has about 5/32 tread left on all tires though some feathering on outside of all tires. Alignment was checked and it was good. I was told that tire balance should be ok as I hear no vibrations at higher speeds though I hear some tire noise when at 30-45 mph - appears to be like a cupped tire
so the problem is i feel the road imperfections when driving on uneven roads - like if the spot is lower on one side the car/steering wheels goes in that direction very briefly as I am holding the wheel. Now this is to happen on the cars but i feel more than normal. Not sure if I was able to put into words appropriately. I have driven many other cars including X5 but did not feel something like it.
ANyone who has similar feeling? Any steering part that needs checking

I need to put newer tires in another 6-7 K miles and I am looking at Bridgestone potenza RE950...anyone with them on?
Uneven tire wear is usually caused by inflation issues, alignment issues or suspension/steering component issues.

I had my X3s (E83 and F25) aligned to minimize the understeer (and keep within specs) - handles much better in my opinion.

I have experienced tramlining (vehicle seeking ruts, depresssions, etc. in the pavement) on my E83 when I was running Bridgestone (I think) high performance unidirectional tires. It went away when I switched to Michelins (MXM4 OEM). This is NOT to say that Pirellis will always cause this or Michelins will always fix this, but to say that I have found that tire tread pattern (which changes as the tire wears) is one possible cause in my experience. Those Bridgestones also had uneven wear due to improper alignment.

I fixed the alignment, got new tires (went way from unidirectional tread patterns) and all was wonderful.

X3s handling are very sensitive to the tire tread pattern in my experience.

Can't tell you about the F25, since I am still on my initial set of Goodyears (I do not have the complaints that some do, but I keep my inflation a bit higher than average for extra sidewall stiffness and gas mileage).

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
MasterX5, we went with the same Pirelli P7 All-Season RFTs on replacement.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I notice the 'tramlining' with my Pirelli Sottozero winter tires but not the LS2 Runflats.