Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
A Couple Questions from New Owner

Guys....first of all, thanks so much for the help on everything I've asked about and everything I've read about and didn't have to ask.

After a month, still learning about features and controls on this car and how to properly work them. To recap, I bought a 2003 745i with 101k at a Bankruptcy Auction and I had it serviced by the local Independent BMW guy as soon as I got it, including the valve seal replacement (which worked perfectly!). I got a passenger mirror and got it installed, and ordered some new floor mats from BMW. The car is CLEAN, shows minimal wear, and is SUPERB so far. I've got several items I'm wanting to get answers to eventually, but I'm just gonna touch on a couple right now. Oh.....and don't worry, I'll post pictures soon!!!

The radio.....Logic 7.....Is there an iPod or Aux hookup, and does the car have Bluetooth? From what I have read and gather from this site....I FEEL LIKE it wasn't offered in 2003. Ok.....I'm sure this is a "beating a dead horse" subject on here and I have read some "mod" threads but I don't know what is the current mod that the market has come up with, what is the best one, etc. I don't care to do an "extensive" mod, such as adding switches and such, but wouldn't mind a cord input or bluetooth. Also, we all have iPhones and plan on keeping them. The BMW Cell Phone did not come with the car when purchased (chances you take when at auction). Is there not some sort of adapter that I can get to cradle my iPhone so it can be used with the Factory handsfree/bluetooth system? Also, would that allow iPod playback?

Second, the Navigation system will not work because it says you need to insert a CD. From the packet of information I got with the car (complete set of manuals, 4 key fobs including valet, and the (Empty) DVD Case for the Navigation......I can't find the disk for the NAV system. What do I need to purchase and will it be "up to date". ? I read on here that someone (seven 11 I think) makes "Custom Nav Maps". What is this and would it be an option?
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Teenage Car Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
I can answer all your questions. For the aux cord, BMW didnt provide it in our 7 series until 2007. Therefore you have a couple options. The best and cheapest option would be the tuner mod [refer to search bar] in which you solder the ends of an aux cord to the radio tuner inputs. The next option is going to run you about 600$... Secondly, our car does support bluetooth, but you must purchase a 250-300$ BTUM module to enable it. The module is the one that sends/receives bluetooth signal, sadly our car is not equipped with it. 3rd and last, someone took the DVD navigation disc out of the DVD player, you can purchase one from a local member on here by the name of "PAPER" who sells them for 60$ and is located in Los Angeles. He also ships.
Welcome to the fest. Should I say one huge mistake I made was not fully tuning up the car when I first bought it. Had I done some preventative maintence, I would have probably saved thousands of dollars I paid for oil, steering, and cooling leaks I had a few months after my first BMW purchase. Spend some good money on a gang of tools and start expanding your knowledge on the e65 or n62 engine. People are afraid to touch these things but let me tell you I've learned more about cars in the past 6 months owning my 7 and on this forum than I have ever in my life. I'm only 17 but hey, I don't bring my car to the dealership and go inside and get some nachos like all the other teenagers around my town.

This Car Im Driving Make U Feel Some Type Of Way
@V1SUALZ Los Angeles car v1sualz company coming soon!
F*** a lease, drive a e65

Last edited by mgucci745; 10-29-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Teenage Car Enthusiast

Also, the Bluetooth module will allow to use your iphone, but does not allow music playback. It has been done before but bluetooth only plays through the front speakers in our car. (Once you have aux cord, there's really no reason for Bluetooth unless you want wireless, but regardless you will still have phone plugged in for music

Last edited by mgucci745; 10-29-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the informative and quick response. Couple of questions.......

What option costs $600 ? The Bluetooth one, or one you didn't mention? If you get Bluetooth, can you use the handsfree system that is built in the car? Meaning do the switches on the steering wheel and within the iDrive work with your phone?

Second, are those Nav CDs up-to-date with the maps? What are the "custom" ones that the other member sells.??
Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Teenage Car Enthusiast

Yes the bluetooth will work with the steering wheel. It's called the BTUM8000 or BTUM9000 depending on which car and phone you have. It plugs into the center console. The music option is called mobride and overrides the 6 cd changer. The DVD map paper has will work and it's an updated version (he sells east and west coast copies) that have updated things such as gas stations, food stops, stop lights with cameras, and etc

Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageboater View Post
Guys....first of all, thanks so much for the help on everything I've asked about and everything I've read about and didn't have to ask.

After a month, still learning about features and controls on this car and how to properly work them. To recap, I bought a 2003 745i with 101k at a Bankruptcy Auction and I had it serviced by the local Independent BMW guy as soon as I got it, including the valve seal replacement (which worked perfectly!). I got a passenger mirror and got it installed, and ordered some new floor mats from BMW. The car is CLEAN, shows minimal wear, and is SUPERB so far. I've got several items I'm wanting to get answers to eventually, but I'm just gonna touch on a couple right now. Oh.....and don't worry, I'll post pictures soon!!!

The radio.....Logic 7.....Is there an iPod or Aux hookup, and does the car have Bluetooth? From what I have read and gather from this site....I FEEL LIKE it wasn't offered in 2003. Ok.....I'm sure this is a "beating a dead horse" subject on here and I have read some "mod" threads but I don't know what is the current mod that the market has come up with, what is the best one, etc. I don't care to do an "extensive" mod, such as adding switches and such, but wouldn't mind a cord input or bluetooth. Also, we all have iPhones and plan on keeping them. The BMW Cell Phone did not come with the car when purchased (chances you take when at auction). Is there not some sort of adapter that I can get to cradle my iPhone so it can be used with the Factory handsfree/bluetooth system? Also, would that allow iPod playback?

Second, the Navigation system will not work because it says you need to insert a CD. From the packet of information I got with the car (complete set of manuals, 4 key fobs including valet, and the (Empty) DVD Case for the Navigation......I can't find the disk for the NAV system. What do I need to purchase and will it be "up to date". ? I read on here that someone (seven 11 I think) makes "Custom Nav Maps". What is this and would it be an option?

If you don't mind spending some money on the features you want it can be done .

1'st Ipod = You can use the BMW OEM ipod kit , But you need to upgrade some of
the modules in your car . The MMI must be upgraded to a newer FaceLift MMI . Once
you do this you can install the OEM BMW Ipod kit & it will work . You will also need
your car coded .

2'nd Bluetooth = you can buy a BTUM for $250 to $350. But I must say People
have had lots of issue's with the BTUM . Or you can Upgrade your TCU to a newer
one & your Bluetooth will be flawless . If you choose to upgrade the TCU then
you would also need to upgrade your MMI to a newer FaceLift unit , good news
is if you already decided to upgrade your MMI for the BMW Ipod kit then your
killing 2 birds with 1 stone .

3'rd Navigation = first check your Navi Unit for the DVD , hit the eject button
a couple times to see if anything comes out , or try pushing the button &
holding it to see if anything comes out . if nothing comes out then you can buy
a Navi DVD for your unit . If a DVD does come out then you more than likely
need a new Navi unit . If you have to replace the Navi unit , I would recommend
upgrading to the Navi 03 for better views on your MMi .
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 AM

Thank you for the information. Please be paitent with me as I am new to BMWs and I'm trying to learn the "language" referring to all of the acronyms. MMI - I am assuming "Multimedia Interface". Is that the actual software within iDrive or just the display screen? TCU - "*** Control Unit" ??.....what is that? Also, what is the "Facelift" ? I might be intrested in the upgrades you are speaking of and would like more information. I will also check for a DVD in the NAV unit (in the trunk right?).
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageboater View Post
Thank you for the information. Please be paitent with me as I am new to BMWs and I'm trying to learn the "language" referring to all of the acronyms. MMI - I am assuming "Multimedia Interface". Is that the actual software within iDrive or just the display screen? TCU - "*** Control Unit" ??.....what is that? Also, what is the "Facelift" ? I might be intrested in the upgrades you are speaking of and would like more information. I will also check for a DVD in the NAV unit (in the trunk right?).
MMI = the screen in the middle of your dash
TCU = telephone control unit in your trunk
Yes the Navi is the unit in your trunk that you insert your Map DVD in .
FaceLift = a newer unit or module from an 2006 up to 2008 E65 /E66 ...
Old 10-31-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 PM

I went outside tonight and hit the "eject" button on the DVD machine for the Navigation. Out came the Dvd well.....I'm guessing that is a bad thing since the MMI says "There is no disc in the machine". My mom actually went and ordered me new Dvds (I was gonna get them here, but oh well nice surprise); so I hope the old Dvd is just worn out and that it doesn't mean the machine is shot.

What do you guys think?