Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Tailgate opening by itself!!

Hi, this is my first post on the X3 forum but I've been on the Z4 forum for a few years.
My wife and I bought a 2014 X3 last week, she had been driving an Acura MDX for the last ten years.
So far we both really like everything about the X3. Interestingly, twice I've opened the door from our house into the garage to find the tailgate open. I know for sure the second time it happened that the tailgate was definitely closed just a few minutes before. Has this happened to anyone else?
The first time it happened I suspected the key fob in my pocket had pressed against my other keys but the likelihood of that happening twice in three days is pretty slim.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Ads by Google
Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4golfer View Post
...happened to anyone else?
Thanks
yep. It has been posted before. search this forum.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Here is one link:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=590146

Looks like it could either be:
  • user error (accidentally push the button while in your pocket/purse)
  • defect

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2.8i (2014)
Tailgate opening by itself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4golfer View Post
Any thoughts?

Thanks
We've had this happen several times on our 2014 X3 w comfort access. Each time we noticed my wife's keys were still in the car (mine in my pocket). The car detected the keys and I'm guessing to prevent locking the keys in the car, the trunk reopened itself.

I was able to get the car to ignore her keys by locking the car with my keyfob before closing the trunk.

Hopefully a user error for you too.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrferrisbueller View Post
We've had this happen several times on our 2014 X3 w comfort access. Each time we noticed my wife's keys were still in the car (mine in my pocket). The car detected the keys and I'm guessing to prevent locking the keys in the car, the trunk reopened itself.

I was able to get the car to ignore her keys by locking the car with my keyfob before closing the trunk.

Hopefully a user error for you too.
Thanks Ferrisbueller,
My key fob was in my pocket both times but my wife's key fob was definitely not in the car. It seems that the safety to prevent locking keys in the car would simply unlock the car but not physically open the tailgate.
After thinking about it, I think both times it happened I had locked the car via the lock button on the tailgate, so there's another possibility. I've since been keeping my key in a drawer until I drive the car just in case I was inadvertently pressing the button in my pocket (slim chance of that I think). If it doesn't open on it's own after a few days, I'll put the key back in my pocket and see what happens.

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i