Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler View Post
It is a good wake-up observation from the OP about the competition. I would wonder about depreciation of Cadillacs compared to similar priced and equipped BMWs. BMWs command a premium here and the name is up there at the top of the list.I do not like the interior compared to a 528/535/550 which all seem better quality and ergonomically superior. Performance is another subject and it can really be subjective notwithstanding hard performance data.
AL
Lease it and don't worry about it. The resurgence of the North American auto industry is here. And it is a good thing. To think we are gawking about German cars....its about time for a change. BMW take note. The game has changed. I'm considering switching.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mr View Post
I also wonder whether Cadillac is getting a bit ahead of itself on the pricing. A CTS v-sport premium is $70K. You can get very nicely equipped 550i for $70K. I wouldn't completely rule out a caddy (heck I drive a lexus now), but it would have to come at a sizable discount to a comparable BMW.
Why? What is the logic in what you are thinking. You drive a Lexus? A re-baged Toyota? One of the companies that wreaked havoc on the North American auto industry and dumped cars in North America for years in the 70s. WTF??? The Cadillac is a great advance for GM and a great advance for North America. Be proud of it. A great car, no doubt and a rejuvenation of the brand.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: '07 335i, '07 MB GL450
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
Why? What is the logic in what you are thinking. You drive a Lexus? A re-baged Toyota? One of the companies that wreaked havoc on the North American auto industry and dumped cars in North America for years in the 70s. WTF??? The Cadillac is a great advance for GM and a great advance for North America. Be proud of it. A great car, no doubt and a rejuvenation of the brand.
Huh? I think the caddy looks nice. But for $70K, I'd rather have a fairly loaded 550i. What's hard to understand about that logic?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Huh? I think the caddy looks nice. But for $70K, I'd rather have a fairly loaded 550i. What's hard to understand about that logic?
Everything. Why BMW? I own 2 of them, but I recognize a good car when I see it in Cadillac. Why, you need a BMW for the neighbourhood, the girlfriend, the mistress, the office?? What makes a "fairly loaded 550i" so good?? This is why North America suffers. You can't see the good when it is staring you in the face.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport: Boosting Ahead of the Germans in Their Own Game!
Most important facts:
0-60: 4.4 sec
1/4 mile: 12.8 sec @ 111.9 mph
450 lbs lighter than a 550i

Mr. Park, where the hell you been? Lol, welcome back!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-29-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Everything. Why BMW? I own 2 of them, but I recognize a good car when I see it in Cadillac. Why, you need a BMW for the neighbourhood, the girlfriend, the mistress, the office?? What makes a "fairly loaded 550i" so good?? This is why North America suffers. You can't see the good when it is staring you in the face.
Why BMW? I like the way BMW's drive, the fact that they hold their value, and the fact that you don't have rattles throughout the car after 30K miles. Oh yeah, and also to impress my mistress. You got me figured out, genius.

If you want to spend $70K on a cadillac that will be worth $30K in 3 years and be nowhere near as solid as the BMW, knock yourself out. I'll stick with BMW.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Why BMW? I like the way BMW's drive, the fact that they hold their value, and the fact that you don't have rattles throughout the car after 30K miles. Oh yeah, and also to impress my mistress. You got me figured out, genius.

If you want to spend $70K on a cadillac that will be worth $30K in 3 years and be nowhere near as solid as the BMW, knock yourself out. I'll stick with BMW.
What a poser. Branding is everything is it?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Poser? Whatever, enjoy the depreciation (and the rattles) on your $70K Caddy. If you're willing to spend $70K of that car, I suppose PT Barnum was right.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Poser? Whatever, enjoy the depreciation (and the rattles) on your $70K Caddy. If you're willing to spend $70K of that car, I suppose PT Barnum was right.
What a freaking idiot. Have you driven the car, given it a chance, read the reviews, respected the technology? What do you do in Boca Raton? Drink Martinis on your pension from a defunct American company that guys like you pounded into the ground?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
What a freaking idiot. Have you driven the car, given it a chance, read the reviews, respected the technology? What do you do in Boca Raton? Drink Martinis on your pension from a defunct American company that guys like you pounded into the ground?
What do I do in Boca Raton... mostly I hang out at the del boca vista and laugh at people who pay $70K for a Cadillac.

As stimulating as this conversation has been, I'm going to sign off for now lest I lose any more IQ points reading your posts.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
What do I do in Boca Raton... mostly I hang out at the del boca vista and laugh at people who pay $70K for a Cadillac.

As stimulating as this conversation has been, I'm going to sign off for now lest I lose any more IQ points reading your posts.
You should sign off actually. You're so low in IQ, it would be the responsible thing to do. Just think, you can dream about all the things you can make up about American cars without having driven them, all the people in America who build them, all of the people in your country who rely on the jobs that guys like you denigrate. Does it make you feel good? I can never understand the logic. The car was just introduced. Clearly you haven't driven it. Clearly you know nothing about it This is an enthusiasts' forum no doubt. But why? Why do you bash what was and is about to be again, an American icon? I drive German cars. It has been a long time since I have driven American cars. But I wish to again, because I am willing to accept that they have made great, great strides. It isn't black and white for sure, but you can't denigrate the brand without giving it a chance. It's not fair.

Last edited by PeterC4; 10-29-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
You should sign off actually. Your so low in IQ, it would be the responsible thing to do.
BTW, it's "you're"... not "your", Mr IQ. If you're (note the proper use) going to insult someone's intelligence, try to at least use correct grammar.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
BTW, it's "you're"... not "your", Mr IQ. If you're (note the proper use) going to insult someone's intelligence, try to at least use correct grammar.
I have. What are you referring to?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
You should sign off actually. You're so low in IQ, it would be the responsible thing to do. Just think, you can dream about all the things you can make up about American cars without having driven them, all the people in America who build them, all of the people in your country who rely on the jobs that guys like you denigrate. Does it make you feel good? I can never understand the logic. The car was just introduced. Clearly you haven't driven it. Clearly you know nothing about it This is an enthusiasts' forum no doubt. But why? Why do you bash what was and is about to be again, an American icon? I drive German cars. It has been a long time since I have driven American cars. But I wish to again, because I am willing to accept that they have made great, great strides. It isn't black and white for sure, but you can't denigrate the brand without giving it a chance. It's not fair.
Wow. They must teach mind reading in Toronto, because you're (again, note the proper use) divining all sorts of things about me that you will find nowhere in any post I have made in this thread. Seriously, have a good night, go grab a drink or something, and try not to get yourself so wound up. It's just an internet message board.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Wow. They must teach mind reading in Toronto, because you're (again, note the proper use) divining all sorts of things about me that you will find nowhere in any post I have made in this thread. Seriously, have a good night, go grab a drink or something, and try not to get yourself so wound up. It's just an internet message board.
What a goof.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I have. What are you referring to?
Your incorrect grammar that you subsequently edited and corrected.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Your incorrect grammar that you subsequently edited and corrected.
Noted goof ball.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
I meant to put a smiley at the end.

All things caddy gravitate there - quite entertaining to see the debates.

Just saw the smiley. I still don`t see the reason for moving this thread. I think the entertainment from the F30 forums just moved here

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
KEEP THINKING THAT =d
Opinion trumps published facts, huh?
Road and Track as well, 4.4 seconds clearly stating testing was on stock Pirelli run flats. I'd be interested to hear your evidence to the contrary.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 10-29-2013, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M
Cadillac? really guys .. even if it had 100 more hp and faster still wouldnt get one.. Grandpa car.. Ugly, no wow factor at all. not for me anyways.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
It's a Caddy and has that Caddy "look" ("Gramps", but let's say a sexier Gramps with some quality work done) so it' not my "my thing" per-se, though if I have a nice German in the garage I wouldn't mind one alongside it if I needed something like it alongside.

IMO it looks great for a Caddy, or GM for that matter. It isn't distinctive at any angle but the front, the side having that ATS/Malibu/GM corporate Sedan look, and the rear that "Grandpa" Caddy look with bling all over it to try and distract from that, but the front is a great modern interpretation of the Cadillac look.

All in all I feel it looks kind of like how the E Class should have looked. They look similar to me, but the Caddy seems harmonious and relaxed in a way that should look good on roads for a while and not need any major reconstructive surgery mid-cycle, and it is far less awkward and imbalanced than the previous CTS.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M
Quote:
Be nice Peter.

Last edited by combatstang; 10-30-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport

Nice weight savings, but lack of AWD and subpar CUE infotainment system are deal killers vs. 550xi. The exterior is much improved but still not my favorite.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
I think the entertainment from the F30 forums just moved here
I'm sayin..

looks like we don't need BJ to come over - quite enjoying the entertainment here..

Old 10-30-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport Xdrive
Quote:
Who cares.
Anyone who is interested in an AWD, that is who. All the other major players in this segment offer AWD on their 6/8 cylinder engines without making basic compromises.

Current:
2014 BMW 535i Xdrive Msport Dark Graphite/Mocha Nappa
Tinted Side/Rear Reflectors|Black Chrome Emblems|M Rear Spoiler|Rear Sunshade| Carbon Fiber Fender Trim | LCI M5 Grilles | M Performance Exhaust Tips
2010 Volkswagen CC 2.0T DSG Island Gray/Black
Retired:
2011 BMW 535i Xdrive DSB/Venetian Beige