Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E89
Question Z4 Factory Paint Defect Compensation

Hello,

One week ago (on a cloudy day) my wife and I picked up our new 2014 Z4 35IS, which was ordered back in June. The car is awesome and well worth the wait. It is so much fun to drive.

A few days later when the sun was out, I noticed what looked like some dark shadows on the driver's side rocker panel (Melbourne Metallic Red). Upon closer inspection, there is a paint defect under the clear coat. It looks like not enough paint was sprayed on parts of the rocker panel and the darker under coat is showing through.

I have contacted the dealer, and have an appointment with the BMW After Sales Manager in a few days. I don't expect to have any issue getting the panel replaced or repainted.

My concerns are that a re-spray is never as good as factory paint, especially after spending that much on a new BMW. The hassle of after having the car less than two weeks it will be in for service for several days, not to mention the dealership is a hour drive each way.

Can anyone tell me what additional compensation I can expect or should ask for beyond just repainting the panel?

I feel like additional compensation is in order, but also want to be reasonable. I was going to ask for the 2yr BMW extended warranty. I really like the Z4 and can see myself being a repeat customer if this is handled well by BMW NA.

Please share your opinions and experiences,

Thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
I think if they are going to repaint the door/rocker, then you have to be satisfied with that. That's the best they can do for you. Agreed, it's not as good as factory paint, but how long are you keeping the car? If you're going to turn it over after 4 years, don't sweat it.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi ! Not sure I agree with the statement that you cannot get a paint job which is better than the original manufacturer.
Many brand new cars come with poor paint jobs, even the fact that JS's car requires work is a testament that manufacture is not always the best/perfect. On my Z4 the boot lid and parts of the hood/bonnet had paint imperfections, especially being black. Many people do not know what to look for anyway, so cannot judge.
I have seen repaints and in many cases where the repair is much better than original which has actually led to problems because it looks so much better!!!!
As for warranty, I think that BMW warrants the bodywork repair if carried out by them in line with the multi-year warranty for bodywork that comes with a new car. Check it out and get it in writing, but as the base layer paint is not damaged then it should be fine........long term

Does my bum look good in this !

Last edited by 645/333; 10-31-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 AM

Not talking about the skill of the painter here, but the fact that factory paint is baked on and results in a more durable surface. Can't do that with an after market paint job, for obvious reasons.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 PM

Agreed, that is my concern. Factory paint is very durable. I plan on keeping the car for a while.

Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Not talking about the skill of the painter here, but the fact that factory paint is baked on and results in a more durable surface. Can't do that with an after market paint job, for obvious reasons.

2014 Z4 35IS Melbourne Metallic Red, Black Extended Leather, Loaded + Stubby
Old 11-02-2013, 03:23 PM

Thumbs up Resolved!!!!!

Hey guys, OP here with an update:

I met with the Service Manager and the After Sales Manager to show them the paint defect. They were both very nice to deal with. The Z4 was parked in the shade, but as soon as I backed it out into the sun shine they both immediately noticed the defect. The ASM immediately agreed they would take care of it. The passenger side panel also had a small defect. He agreed to have both sides re sprayed.

We talked for a while as he had just traded in his Z4. We talked about the body shop that would perform the work and how the repair would be made. The SM said he could even arrange for me to be present during the repair.

As the conversation lulled, I asked the ASM what additional compensation I could expect. The ASM hesitated and said they had some nice accessories in the parts department. I told him I was thinking more alone the lines of a warrantee extension. We talked for a minute, and he agreed to extend my warrantee to 6yr, 100K mi as part of good will.

Iím sure nothing would have been offered if I had not asked, but at the same time, I didnít have to make much of a case. I just simply asked.

It was a great experience and exceeded my expectations. Both the SM & ASM were very nice, professional and understanding. It was the kind of experience that makes someone a repeat customer.

I will drop the Z4 off next week for the repair which will take an estimated 4 days.

Thanks again to everyone that responded with an opinion. After I read them all, I wasnít sure what to expect, but it turned out to be a great experience.

This is my first BMW, so Iím not sure if all dealerships are like this, but so far the buying experience and service has been excellent.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:34 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith97321 View Post
Hey guys, OP here with an update:

I met with the Service Manager and the After Sales Manager to show them the paint defect. They were both very nice to deal with. The Z4 was parked in the shade, but as soon as I backed it out into the sun shine they both immediately noticed the defect. The ASM immediately agreed they would take care of it. The passenger side panel also had a small defect. He agreed to have both sides re sprayed.

We talked for a while as he had just traded in his Z4. We talked about the body shop that would perform the work and how the repair would be made. The SM said he could even arrange for me to be present during the repair.

As the conversation lulled, I asked the ASM what additional compensation I could expect. The ASM hesitated and said they had some nice accessories in the parts department. I told him I was thinking more alone the lines of a warrantee extension. We talked for a minute, and he agreed to extend my warrantee to 6yr, 100K mi as part of good will.

Iím sure nothing would have been offered if I had not asked, but at the same time, I didnít have to make much of a case. I just simply asked.

It was a great experience and exceeded my expectations. Both the SM & ASM were very nice, professional and understanding. It was the kind of experience that makes someone a repeat customer.

I will drop the Z4 off next week for the repair which will take an estimated 4 days.

Thanks again to everyone that responded with an opinion. After I read them all, I wasnít sure what to expect, but it turned out to be a great experience.

This is my first BMW, so Iím not sure if all dealerships are like this, but so far the buying experience and service has been excellent.

I think that's reasonable!

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 AM

You got a good deal. Was the extended warranty on the whole car or just the paint?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 AM

Hello,

The extended warranty covers maintenance on the whole car for 6 yr/ 100K miles. The repair shop has a lifetime warranty on any paint repairs.

Last edited by jsmith97321; 11-03-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:30 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
That kind of deal will get everyone wishing they had a paint defect, but then I have to say BMW have definitely been very fair to you, just wish we could all get that kind of support consistently from the dealers/manufacturer! Well done........follow the mantra "you don't ask you don't get""

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 s35i
You did well. Had the dealer respray my front clip from some parking curb rash and road rash from being on the lot for 4 months. Made sure they knew I was a "freak" when it came to paint. Pleasantly surprised at the quality of the paint, especially with the Orion Silver I have on my Z. I'm sure they will have the best guy on the job for you.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to RufusKing
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Roadster
Well our paint is pretty soft compared to other manufacturers out there. I wouldnt worry too much.

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster - Sold and I miss her.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith97321 View Post
Hello,

The extended warranty covers maintenance on the whole car for 6 yr/ 100K miles. The repair shop has a lifetime warranty on any paint repairs.
A bit confused. Did they give you a 2 year extended maintenance plan or a 2 yr extended warranty? They are 2 different animals. In either case, you did well as either of them are worth some serious money.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
(Road Trip Car)

2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)
Old 11-15-2013, 04:41 PM

Exclamation Update

Hello, OP here,

I picked my Z4 up yesterday and it looks Great!!! Even though it was a cloudy day, the difference between the original rocker panel and the re-spray was very noticeable. The color matched the rest of the Z4 much better, and of course, the coverage was excellent. The body shop did an excellent job, and the BWM CA was great was well.

I really missed my Z4 for the couple of days she was in the shop, but it was well worth it. Now I wonít cringe every time I look at the rocker panels.

Just to be clear, I asked for, and they agreed, to give me a 2 yr extension maintenance plan, Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for all the posts!!!!