Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
^ of course!! we're normal people we don't get free cars we've gotta turn off the lights for the room if we don't use it too ha ha!!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
This post almost seems as trivial as people complaining about having to use premium gas verse regular !
Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 AM
BMW Nut

Mein Auto: 12 X5 x35i, 10 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
This post almost seems as trivial as people complaining about having to use premium gas verse regular !
Thanks for posting!

2012 X5 xDrive35i Platinum Gray/Oyster/Burl Walnut
2010 135i Alpine 6 sp White/Coral Red/Black Alcantara M Sport
Old 10-31-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 911 turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx View Post
^ of course!! we're normal people we don't get free cars we've gotta turn off the lights for the room if we don't use it too ha ha!!
Tell my wife that!

First 1400mi of ownership on the 50i netting 16.9 mixed city/hwy
Old 10-31-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 50i, '04 HD VRSCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thackl View Post
Tell my wife that!

First 1400mi of ownership on the 50i netting 16.9 mixed city/hwy
You do realize you can push the throttle down another 75% or so, right
Old 10-31-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburke91 View Post
You do realize you can push the throttle down another 75% or so, right
I am rough on vehicles and by no means have taken it easy on this one. Highway cuising at 80-85 and heavy foot around town. We dont have much stop/go in my litttle city though. It gets 22 going 70, 20 at 75 and 19 at 80mph. I'm not complaining...
Old 11-02-2013, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Another "what's wrong with my X5? my MPG is abysmal!" thread

Can't help ...
But after some back and forth Stanford games and a long trip to SoCal my 35d got 608 miles for a full tank.
Glad I got a D!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2012 X5d...with all possible pks & flowers...
Old 11-02-2013, 12:57 AM

Mein Auto: X5
i know some of the D owners would bring this up. it is annyoing, really. The D and 50i are not comparable at all in terms of performance. The D is 0.5 seconds slower than the 35i and 1.8 seconds slower than the 50i. The 50i blows the D away no matter whether you compare torque or horsepower or speed. Admit that people prioritize things differently.

Most of the D owners would like to brag about their MPG because it is one of the main reasons they bought it (Other reasons are eco-credit (really just a marketing scam to get the price down to their comparative level in Europe), the torque advantage over the 35i (I can't help laughing when some clueless D owners think their vehicle has larger torque than 50i) ). They keep track of the mileage all the time. They are the ones who reset and look at the MPG for each trip, and when they hits a high MPG, they brag about it (I got XX MPG when I drove all highway across half of the country, typical D owners).

Most of the 35i buyers like a balanced package. They don't even keep track of the MPG all that much, but most of them are getting decent mileage as well (around 20 on average). They almost never reset and see how much MPG they get on a long distance highway trip.

Most of the 50i buyers are for the performance. They complain about the mileage because it turns out to be more expensive than they expected. They turn out to care about the mileage more than the 35i owners because it hit their wallet. But given a chance again, I think the majority of them would still choose the 50i because they are enthusiastic.

Really all of them are great vehicles. People choose what they choose for a reason. Most of them would not swap because of a single factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11leven View Post
Can't help ...
But after some back and forth Stanford games and a long trip to SoCal my 35d got 608 miles for a full tank.
Glad I got a D!

Last edited by pixma; 11-02-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:52 AM

I bought my 50i for the performance, but do watch the mileage. It's a bit of a game to see if I can get the average up to 15 long-term on my mostly rural commute. So far, not so much. Ultimately this is a 5000lb vehicle. The diesel produces impressive mileage, but at some point weight and wind resistance can't be overcome.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinBelAir View Post
Bel Air

And to think I almost bought an X5M.

Having said that, a recent trip to OC netted me 18.5 and that was coming back doing 80-90 all the way.
You might as well have purchased the x5m. Mine gets 12 mpg city....pretty much the same as yours. I pull down 16-17 freeway. I went x5m because I know all v8's guzzle. Very little difference in the N63 and S63 because the engines are same displacement.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixma View Post
i know some of the D owners would bring this up. it is annyoing, really. The D and 50i are not comparable at all in terms of performance. The D is 0.5 seconds slower than the 35i and 1.8 seconds slower than the 50i. The 50i blows the D away no matter whether you compare torque or horsepower or speed. Admit that people prioritize things differently.

Most of the D owners would like to brag about their MPG because it is one of the main reasons they bought it (Other reasons are eco-credit (really just a marketing scam to get the price down to their comparative level in Europe), the torque advantage over the 35i (I can't help laughing when some clueless D owners think their vehicle has larger torque than 50i) ). They keep track of the mileage all the time. They are the ones who reset and look at the MPG for each trip, and when they hits a high MPG, they brag about it (I got XX MPG when I drove all highway across half of the country, typical D owners).

Most of the 35i buyers like a balanced package. They don't even keep track of the MPG all that much, but most of them are getting decent mileage as well (around 20 on average). They almost never reset and see how much MPG they get on a long distance highway trip.

Most of the 50i buyers are for the performance. They complain about the mileage because it turns out to be more expensive than they expected. They turn out to care about the mileage more than the 35i owners because it hit their wallet. But given a chance again, I think the majority of them would still choose the 50i because they are enthusiastic.

Really all of them are great vehicles. People choose what they choose for a reason. Most of them would not swap because of a single factor.
What I find annoying is when people talk about their X5 like it's a sports car and only judge performance based on 0-60 times. Get a grip, it's a large SUV and while the 5.0i is quick off the line and better handling than most SUV's, it' a pig (maybe the one with the most lipstick, but still a pig) same as all X5's.
The fact that the 5.0i guzzles gas during the 99% commute or highway miles where the additional performance is not used should be no surprise. If it is, well, I'd better not type what I think about that.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
Did you factor the following things in?

- Tire pressures
- Fuel type/quality
- Clean engine air filter
- Recent oil change in case previous owner made it all sludged up from not changing
- Making sure all body pieces are still there like aerodynamic flaps under the body
- The way you drive (cruise control is your friend outside the city)
- Engine temp due to radiator's operating efficiency
- Ambient temperature (better mileage around 60-79 F)
- Spark plug status (not incl diesels)

etc, etc
Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: X5
By your logic nobody should buy X5 anyways. Since all SUVs are pigs, they should all go for Lexus RX or even the Toyota ones.

That's a typical mindset of only seeing things in black and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
What I find annoying is when people talk about their X5 like it's a sports car and only judge performance based on 0-60 times. Get a grip, it's a large SUV and while the 5.0i is quick off the line and better handling than most SUV's, it' a pig (maybe the one with the most lipstick, but still a pig) same as all X5's.
The fact that the 5.0i guzzles gas during the 99% commute or highway miles where the additional performance is not used should be no surprise. If it is, well, I'd better not type what I think about that.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I've got an n54 335, 997tt, f430scud and some sport bikes...while the x5 is not as athletic as any of them, it is still quick and fun to drive, especially compared to most other SUVs. Missing you point here...
Old 11-03-2013, 01:57 PM

The point isn't how well the pig flies, but that it flies at all
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:

But then... what is also annoying is that this is a BMW.. performance brand.. focuses on performance over anything else. There are not that many SAV's.. ahem excuse me.. SUV in the market that can outperform our X5's in cornering, slalom / agility and speed. The X5M is one of the fastest SUV in the market that will out perform lot of performance oriented cars...

While you may think our SUV is a large rig used to haul 4 kids and a trailers and boats... Most others and myself included view our X5 as a performance oriented SAV.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Duplicate*
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.

Last edited by Kzang; 11-04-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Erlkoenig
Mein Auto: German stuff
It's the "Ultimate Driving Machine" not a prius or a fiat. Yes my Cayenne Turbo accelerated harder amongst other things, but overall I'm very happy with the 35D for daily situations. It looks killer with the 315's on the rear. I get 24-28 hwy depending on which way the wind is going. I would love to have 50i or X5M. You only live once so live it up. Enjoy what you have and keep it shiny side up.
2013 X5 35d: Platinum gray metallic, Sport pkg with 20", premium pkg, multi-contour, cold wx pkg, premium stereo w/Sirius, soft close doors, smart phone int, custom coding, 18" Sport Edition w/Michelin xICE2.