Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM
BMW FTW!

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
X3 wont register 2 key fobs! help?

hi everyone im new to this forum.

my father just brought a '05 X3 3.0i that ill be driving in a few months when i get my drivers license

anyways, we've ran into abit of an issue. i thought the key fob we got with the car was shot, so today i ordered a new key fob for the car. i programmed the new key and i carefully followed the programming instructions, it worked. i was curious about the condition of the old key so i programmed it too. it ALSO worked. so basically the old key fob was never "broken", it just needed to be reprogrammed. now the new key fob i just got(which worked fine before i reprogrammed the old key) will not function at all unless i reprogram it(which means the old key, which works, will not work anymore).

basically what i got from it was that the car WILL NOT register 2 keys at once. id like to have the dealership take a look at it but its 25 minutes away and me nor my parents have the time to do that.

also, idk if this matters but when i programmed the new key, all of the radio pre-sets were deleted for no reason

does anyone have any knowledge about this issue? is it common?
Ads by Google
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport11 View Post
...... i thought the key fob we got with the car was shot, so today i ordered a new key fob for the car. i programmed the new key and i carefully followed the programming instructions, it worked. i was curious about the condition of the old key so i programmed it too. it ALSO worked. so basically the old key fob was never "broken", it just needed to be reprogrammed. now the new key fob i just got(which worked fine before i reprogrammed the old key) will not function at all unless i reprogram it(which means the old key, which works, will not work anymore).
I'm confused.

The X3 doesn't use key fobs, it uses transponder keys.

Maybe you mean that a fob handling the remote door locks is built into the key handle.

But you can't order a new transponder key and get it the same day, nor can you program it to start the engine without the right h/w and s/w.

They come from a central location for BMW - maybe it's N.Y.C., I don't know.

Your used X3 should have been handed over to you with 2 transponder keys and a plastic valet key.

Sounds like you just got one key that the seller had just obtained and got programmed for the immobilizer but forgot to program it for the doors?

I am sure like most cars the X3 can have at least 4 keys programmed, and that all must be
programmed together in one action.

So really not sure what you have.

The radio station pre-sets getting deleted is odd and I can't see that having anything to do with key programming.
Normally happens only with prolonged battery disconnection.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 PM
BMW FTW!

sorry for the misunderstanding. they are transponder keys. i ordered them yesterday and i GOT them today. excuse my wording.

the car came with 1 key and that was all we got with it.

again, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:35 PM

O.K. From BMW or ebay?

The programming instructions you were working from - are they just for remote locking?

Ability to program the immobilizer for starting the vehicle cannot be done by just anyone - it has to be controlled for obvious reasons.

Not simple like it was when everyone had separate plastic fobs and metal ignition keys.

Dealers charge a few hundred to supply and program a new key. I think they would charge at least $150 to program alone. A well-equipped and tech. savvy locksmith shop maybe half that.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
you are not and cannot program the chip in the key to the immobiliser.

So let's assume we are talking about programming the remote to the remote locking. All keys must be programmed at the same time, one by one. You are deleting the alternative key when you try to add a new key a day later.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 AM
BMW FTW!

Both keys can start the car so I'm guessing it's not with the immobilizer system. The issue is that the locks will not function with both. Only one key will lock/unlock the car, depending on which key I had last programmed to the keyless entry system. I brought the keys from the bmw dealership and they had it shipped over night.

They offer very crappy service at the place and the guy just handed me the key . I asked if he could get someone to program it for me but his response was "I'll get you the instructions".
Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM

O.K., makes sense now.

Are you sure that when you are programming a pair of keys with a new rolling code that you are doing the 2nd. one by just applying the final step to it?

That is, you don't put that 2nd. key in the ignition (like for the 1st. one) before the step of holding the lock and unlock buttons on it.

If you do, then you are putting the car in (a new) program mode again so the previously programmed key no longer works.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM
BMW FTW!

yes i have done the programming a few times using the methods the dealership told me.

1. programmed with both keys in the car, door locked, unlocked, key worked. but only the one i programmed.

2. programmed the 1st key, did the 2nd one right after. doors locked, unlocked, 2nd key worked, 1st one didnt.

3. programmed the non-working key with the working key outside, doors locked, unlocked, key worked but the one i left outside didnt.

so my conclusion is that maybe there is something wrong with the entry system? it cannot be the keys since i have proved that both are not malfunctioning.

i will apply the final step to the second key and see what happens. ill keep you posted. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
That's odd. When I bought my 2008 CPO - they couldn't locate one of the keys and ordered a new one. It came in, they initialized it in the car (did not require h/w or s/w). Old & new key works.

Got a a call from the salesman about three weeks later - he found the original "lost one" and gave it to me. Told me how to re-initialize the keys so all three would work. I still have the instructions somewhere, but it was a pretty simple sequence as I recall.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM
BMW FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
O.K., makes sense now.

Are you sure that when you are programming a pair of keys with a new rolling code that you are doing the 2nd. one by just applying the final step to it?

That is, you don't put that 2nd. key in the ignition (like for the 1st. one) before the step of holding the lock and unlock buttons on it.

If you do, then you are putting the car in (a new) program mode again so the previously programmed key no longer works.
i tried it. worked. Thanks man! saved me from wasting time going to the dealership and probably paying them $500 just to get it to work.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:05 PM
BMW FTW!

OK here are the steps i did in order to get the 2 keys to work. the "unlock" button is the one with the arrow, "lock" is the small BMW badge in the middle of the key.

1. Put key into ignition
2. turn to "lock" position(aka "on" if you are used to japanese cars like me)
3. turn the key right back and remove the key
4. hold "unlock" and press "lock" 3 times

*all doors should lock, then drivers door should unlock*

5. take the second key and hold down "unlock" and press "lock" 3 times.
6. door should lock, then unlock to confirm the programming.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport11 View Post
3. programmed the non-working key with the working key outside, doors locked, unlocked, key worked but the one i left outside didnt.
You don;t need to move the keys, but you do need to obey the time limits. The locks toggle for each accepted key. From your description, only one key was accepted.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:45 PM
BMW FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
You don;t need to move the keys, but you do need to obey the time limits. The locks toggle for each accepted key. From your description, only one key was accepted.
yes, exactly. only 1 key was accepted when i programmed it following the dealership's instruction. the sheet they gave me didn't say anything about repeating the last step for the second key. i called them and they told me the exact same thing as the sheet listed. you would think someone there would be smarter than that *sarcasm*
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM

Try this, the steps for adding multiple remotes.

http://www.programmingmyremote.com/pmr/bmwremote.html