Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Unhappy New member / trans problems

Just got my new to me 2004 760li and i have skimmed these forums quiet a bit and this seems to be one of the best forums for our e65/66's. anyway on the way home (2 hour drive) I pushed the car a couple of times and boy was it fun!!!! but now my minor transmission issues have become a little more noticeable. I get a jerk from 2nd to first gear about 50% of the time and 10% of the time going from 2nd to 3rd at slower speeds (25-35 mph in traffic) when i bought the car it just had the 2nd to first jerk that was not very noticeable and the dealer gave me a very nice discount because of that. i am also getting a jerk coming from a stop on almost any hill. i am planning on updating the trans firmware. and in the near future a guibou? / flex disc. So does it seem like it is fixable or is the trans just trash now ?

Thanks in advanced and sorry for the bad grammer
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 528iX Build 03/13
I'm gunna lean towards the guibo. Definitely fixable and the route I would go. Mine started feeling like this also, and I know my guibo is due for replacement, sucks that is not covered through CPO. Sooooo will be doing it when the place warms up again.

*** 2013 528i X-Drive ***

Last edited by mgokool; 10-30-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do the Gibuo soon. I got a great deal on the car it has 72000 miles with one previous owner and always serviced at the dealer. I think the problem was small and from my crazy "testdrive" all the way home I may have just worn the Gibuo just a little more giving me these issues. Is there any way to check the transmission fluid level?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528iX Build 03/13
Same here, 1-previous owner/dealer serviced, cpo til 3/14....73k miles now on it....absolutely love this car! Trans is a sealed unit, only way to check fluid is to have it up and open the "fill" plug, fluid level should be right at the bottom of the fill plug opening.

*** 2013 528i X-Drive ***
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdrake1fallen View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do the Gibuo soon. I got a great deal on the car it has 72000 miles with one previous owner and always serviced at the dealer. I think the problem was small and from my crazy "testdrive" all the way home I may have just worn the Gibuo just a little more giving me these issues. Is there any way to check the transmission fluid level?
The Guibo joint was / will be 85% the fault the jerk from gears transition. When you start and there is a cluk sound from park to drive, it will be your Guibo joint (flex disk).
Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
New member / trans problems

A second-to-first jerk, when coming to a stop, could also be a programming issue. Make sure the car had the transmission programming recall performed. It was for a different issue, but it should help.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI, 05 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
A second-to-first jerk, when coming to a stop, could also be a programming issue. Make sure the car had the transmission programming recall performed. It was for a different issue, but it should help.

where can we find this recall?

22's, AC Schnitzer Kit, H&R Lowering Springs, Tinted tails and Signals, AC Schnitzer
Carbon Door Pillars, Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Tuner Mod, Tinted Windshield,
30% Tint all the way around, and some other stuff I forgot.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Re: New member / trans problems

I just changed my guibo and still get the slam into gear and I had a new transmission under warranty. Does anyone have any suggestions oil pan were also changed last year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI, 05 Acura RL
I know I still get the slam too...I had the Guibo replaced and it went away for a while and came back...I also had the adapter sleeve replaced and new fluid put in and it helped alot but I still get it. Its got to be a programing issue. I was told 360 bucks to get the dealer to update the software but if there is a recall i should be able to get it for free. Need to see this recall.

22's, AC Schnitzer Kit, H&R Lowering Springs, Tinted tails and Signals, AC Schnitzer
Carbon Door Pillars, Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Tuner Mod, Tinted Windshield,
30% Tint all the way around, and some other stuff I forgot.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Do you need to get adaptions cleared when you install new guibo?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:38 AM

I called bmw and they said there is a software recall but it doesn't apply to my vehicle. So it exist but I don't know who it apply's to?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM

I also did the transmission adaptation and it got worse for about the first 2 miles now It seems a little better but it's still there. I'm waiting on my obd2 cable in the mail so I can update my software and hopefully in the next month a new flex joint / Guibo.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
have someone with the capability to clear adaptation values in the egs (trans) if the banging goes away the problem is in the software and will be just a temporary fix the problem will come back but at least you know where the problem is. if clearing values makes no change the problem is in the trans
Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 PM

So i took my car over to my friends... friends shop and he put it on a lift and drooped the exhaust and all the plastic panels that cover it. It turns out that i have an extremely bad guibo so i am going to pick up a oem one from bmw on friday and attempt to put it in myself following diysavecash video on youtube. i will be cleaning my MAF sensors today and the transmission software update as soon as i get my cable. thanks for the help guys and good luck to those of you that are still having problems
Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM

On a different brand of car, this type of issue would be associated with a worn transmission mount. I don't know what the mount looks like on the BMW, but it might be worth looking into.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
If the problem is in the computer you can reset your transmission by putting in the key, hitting the start / stop button to put the ignition in position 2 then hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor for a full 30 seconds. This will allow the transmission to adapt to a new driving style.

I have also read if your battery is getting low or old the car shuts off some electrical functions, one of which can conprimise shifting.

Sounds like you found your issue though.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 PM

Please stop spreading the transmission reset myth. Holding the accelerator down doesn't reset anything.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 PM

+1 there is no evidence that the pedal trick works.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Just trying to be helpful I had read it on a couple forums and saw it on youtube. I was not aware it was not true. I will call BMW though in the mean time I will not tell anyone else. Thanks for clearing that up in a mature manner, I would not want to be the one to put out negative vibes or stress to anyone on the forum. Cheers
Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 AM

As far as I can tell, the myth originated when some guy said, "this is the procedure to reset [something] on a Volkswagen, and they're both German, so it should work in the BMW, too." That's not exactly solid logic.

On one of my older cars, either the Honda or Chevrolet, this is similar to the method to reset the maintenance reminder light.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Question 760li transmission problems (continued)

So I thought I solved my transmission issues but it was only good for about 2 days. When I was replacing my guibo joint it was late at night and I was tiered and ready to blow up the car. I noticed a dark spot somewhere on the sides of tge tranny. Didnt think to much about it (wich was dumb): mad: and now I get a jerk when I acelerate from 1-2 2-1 2-3. Now if I give it a little more gas its silky smooth. It also clunks when I let off the gas after accelerating quickly. ive done some research and it seems like I have a leak comming from the mectronics sleeve. What do you guys think ?
Thanks !!!